Which are the "best" Intel AHCI/RAID drivers?

I apologize if the question has already been asked. I read everything on the first page of the thread, but I’m not very experienced.

I wanted to know which version of rst is recommended for an i7 4790k mounted on asus z97-p motherboard and windows 10 64. The hd is in bios in ahci mode and no raid. Thank you if anyone will respond and I apologize if I have broken any rules.

@Raziel :
The choice of the “best” Intel AHCI driver depends on the mainboard’s chipset and not on the CPU.
If you want to know, which driver I recommend for systems with an Intel 9-Series chipset, please look into the table at the bottom of the start post.

Thank you very much for the very fast response, Fernando, and sorry for the stupid request: i checked and it should be the RST (e) v13.2.8.1002. I tried to do the manual update, but it tells me that the driver I have is newer. Forcing the list, two inf files come out. I proceed to install v13.2.8.1002? And which of the two .inf is the one to install? Iastor or iaAHCI? Thanks again for your help and availability.

As the name indicates, it is the latter, if the Intel SATA Controller is running in "AHCI" mode.

Thanks so much for your help, Fernando. My controller was INTEL 9 series chipset family sata ahci controller with driver from 2017. I manually selected the iaAHCIC.inf file from your archive and found the same controller among the compatibles, I went on and installed your 2015 version. That,i think, has automatically installed the necessary files from your rar package. Everything works regularly, but I don’t know if the procedure was correct and if I have all the rar files installed; if I go to the properties of the INTEL 9 series chipset family sata ahci controller only one driver installed appears, iastorA.sys. Thanks again for everything.

@Raziel :

This is absolutely correct. Intel SATA AHCI and RAID Controllers are using the same real driver file (here: iaStorA.sys), but in a different way and with a totally different installation procedure and functionality, which are layed down within the related *.INF files (iaAHCIC.inf for the AHCI and iaStorAC.inf for the RAID mode).

Thank you very much for your help and availability.

Hi Fernando.

Thanks for your guide, but Im a bit confused.
Have HP Z420 with Intel C600/X79 chipset
and
Dell T5810 with C610/X99 chipset
Both with Win 7 Pro x64

For HP best choiсe is Intel RSTe drivers v4.7.0.1098 WHQL dated 11/24/2017
For Dell - Intel RSTe drivers v5.5.4.1036 WHQL dated 04/09/2019
Since Im not plannin’ to make RAID, better install drivers from Device Manager (do not install drivers for raid).
Im right?

@GaZoN : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Why do you want to replace the Win7 in-box MS AHCI driver by an Intel one?
You can find the specific Intel AHCI drivers, which I recommend for systems with an Intel X79 and X99 chipset, within the start post of this thread (at the bottom is a table).
Regarding the X99 chipset you should consider, that there 2 different sorts of on-board SATA ports (SATA and sSATA), which may require different sorts of SATA drivers (RST or RSTe).
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

This is my first experience with server motherboards.
Since T5810 work fine, with HP Z420 I have a problem (with HDDs) and biggest problem is I dont understand why.
For Intel 600 chipset you recommend v4.7.0.1098 WHQL dated 11/24/2017, but from the table v13.1.0.1058 WHQL. Which one is better?

@GaZoN :

Why don’t you find it out yourself? It is you (not me), who has an Intel X79 chipset system.

Ok, understood. I will try.
Thank you.

Very confused on Z97 - the ROM is 13.5.0.2164 (which I could UBU to something else if better)
Looks like the 13.2 are the recommended (why not the later 13.x).

The motherboard site offers 13.6 for Win7/8 and 14.5 for Win10
Are the earlier ones 100% ok for Win10?
Can I run higher driver than OROM, lower driver than OROM, well I guess the driver can certainly be higher as they offer 14.5

As you say, the variation in AHCI is small, even including the MS standard driver - though some tools don’t like it as it sports a date of 21/06/2006 - while it is presumably updated as needed for later Windows

@Matth79 :
Here are my answers:

1. The Intel RAID OROM/EFI RaidDriver version of the BIOS doesn’t matter as long as your Intel SATA Controller runs in AHCI mode.
    Reason: The Intel RAID BIOS module(s) will not be used.
  2. If your on-board Intel SATA Controller is running in RAID mode, it is a good idea to make sure, that
    a) you have installed an Intel RAID driver version, which gives your specific system the best performance and
    b) the used Intel RAID BIOS module version belongs to the same development branch (e.g. 13.2) as the installed RAID storage driver.
  3. A higher Intel RAID driver version doesn’t harm an existing RAID array, but a higher Intel RAID BIOS module version may do it.
    Reason: The Intel RST storage drivers are backwards, but not forwards compatible with the in-use BIOS module.

Fernando

What is the latest and greatest recommendation for AHCI drivers for the Intel 500 series chipsets these days?
I am setting up a new HTPC this weekend featuring an ASUS Prime H510M-A board with the H510 chipset.
Will be running a single standard Samsung SSD (not NMVe).
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers
Sonic.

@SonicMojo :
Since I cannot test it myself (my "newest" Intel system has a 100-Series chipset), you will have to find it out yourself.
If your OS should be Win11, I guess, that the MS in-box AHCI driver may be the best.

Fernando
Thanks for the update - there is no way I will be using Windows 11 for a long while - so I will on Win 10 - will just go with the vendor driver (or stay with MS) for now.

Cheers!
Sonic.

Hello, I’m not exactly sure how to read the table. None of the options seem to apply to me.

I have a Tiger Lake-H rev. 05 system, 11800H, southbridge HM570 rev. 11. It’s an Eluktronics MAX-15 laptop. I’m having trouble with high idle power consumption so I’m looking at drivers to try to fix the issue.

Is that this?

"400/500-Series Chipsets (e.g. Z470) latest RST v18 platform drivers latest RST v18 platform drivers"

Perhaps it would be prudent to include a “how to identify my chipset” section in the post? The naming conventions and abbreviations are very unclear.

@Kylezo : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
The compatibility of a specific Intel AHCI driver depends much more on the DeviceID of the on-board Intel AHCI Controller than on the mainboard’s chipset.
So the knowledge of the Controller’s HardwareIDs is a much better basis to find out which specific AHCI driver will work or not.
My advice: Run the Device Manager, expand the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” section, right-click onto the listed AHCI Controller and choose the options “Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > “HardwareIDs”.
After having done that, you can open the driver file named iaAHCIC.inf of any specific Intel RST driver by using notepad.exe and look whether the HardwareIDs are supported.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)