Which NVMe Drivers are the best (performance related)?

How about then the Micron NVMe driver v2.1.17.0? Maybe even the Samsung NVMe driver v2.0.8.1611 …?
Just curious

@MDM
Thanks for your proposal.

What is the reason for suggesting to test these specific NVMe drivers? Do you have any hint for a potential performance boost?
What about an Intel NVMe driver? Which version among the various Intel ones would be the best candidate for an additional test?

What is the reason for suggesting to test these specific NVMe drivers? Do you have any hint for a potential performance boost?
What about an Intel NVMe driver? Which version among the various Intel ones would be the best candidate for an additional test?

Well for me simple, if you remember my previous posts here; for my SM controller the Phison one is a no go and also this one didn’t work either. So I simply proposed to test the ones that work for me…

@MDM
After having done additional benchmark tests on both systems (Intel/AMD) I have updated the post #200. I hope, that you agree with my conclusions.
Since I have never tested the Controller-specific Micron NVMe driver before, I was surprised about the results I got - that driver seems to be really good and very performant!
Thank you for the advice to test it on my machines!
Regarding other test candidates I will wait a while and hope, that we will get feedback from other Forum members with an NVMe SSD.

Do you think Win 11 drivers could work even on Wn 10? If so, could you please upload them? Thanks!

@gpvecchi
What do you mean with “Win11 drivers”? The Win11 in-box MS drivers? You may not even get them installed, because as being part of the OS they don’t have a digital signature (no *.cat file is available).
According to my experiences with a lot of different storage drivers they work on Win11 as well, if they work on Win10.
You can find all my recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe drivers within the 2 start posts of >this< thread.

I have hoped to see those results (similar to mine, except Phison is a no go for me), but was curios to see on different controller models. I hope to see some more different ones, especially the Phison, Intel and other one’s.

@MDM
Due to the fact, that I was curious myself about the results I may get with an Intel NVMe driver, I have installed today the Intel RST NVMe driver v17.11.0.1000 WHQL onto both PCs (AMD/Intel) and made additional benchmark tests thereafter.
You can see the surprising results within the updated post #200.

@Fernando
That is indeed very interesting and surprising! (just curious why not from the 18 or 19, why the 17?)
Now only if more members tested the same drivers with different NVMe that have different controllers onto them…
And I can also try the Intel on mine (see if it first boots, mine is picky! )

@all:
Update of the start post
Since my first benchmark comparison tests done in September 2018 are not up-to-date anymore and new benchmark results are available, I have completely updated the start post of this thread.
This will make it much easier for the Forum visitors to find the latest results and evaluations.
Enjoy it!
Dieter

I put one of these drives in my macbook air, runs beautiful.

@ph123uk @POE_UK
To make it easier for the visitors to find all posts about the topic "Which NVMe drivers are the best (performance related)", I have merged the related separate threads into this already existing one and hope, that this is ok for you.

@POE_UK
Please add to your most recent post, which NVMe drivers were tested by you.
Thanks in advance!

my intel MacBook uses drivers from apple when running windows10, however I did try the ones on the first page and they worked brill. (intel)

I tried one of those ssd’s on the first page it also worked awesome.

Has anyone tried any of the newer versions of Intel’s RST drivers?

@cjacobs

The Intel RST driver v17.11.0.1000 WHQL dated 09/30/2021 has recently been tested by me. You can find the results within the start post and >here<.

Hi Fernando, quick question.

I just updated my “Intel(R) 300 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller” with the latest “64bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID drivers v17.11.0.1000 WHQL” and it’s working perfectly (thanks!).
Today I ordered a “Samsung 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD (2TB) (MZ-V8P2T0BW)” that will arrive tomorrow morning.
According to your research, the best performing driver for the 980 Pro would basically be that same driver I’m already using for the “AHCI controller”.
Therefore, after installing the 980 Pro (and updating the firmware with Magician and so on), I just need to go to “Storage Controllers” and install the same driver for it, right?

Thanks in advance.

Edit by Fernando: Unneeded quoted post and blank lines removed (to save space)

@EXPERIMENTONGOD
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Yes, but you may have to force the installation by using the "Have Disk" button (Samsung NVMe Controllers are natively not supported by the Intel NVMe driver). The name of the Controller will be "Intel(R) NVMe Controller".
Alternatively ou can install Samsung’s NVMe driver v3.3.0.2003 (Samsung’s Magician will prefer that one).
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando
Yeah I knew about force installing the driver, I’ve studied all the information from your posts (great work!).
I will test Intel and Samsung drivers and see which one works best, thanks for the quick reply!

Today I swapped my PCIe 3.0 drive to a PCIe 4.0 drive, but the performance of the 4.0 is mor bad than the 3.0.

I swapped the SKHynix BC711 (PCIe 3.0) to a WesternDigital SN740 PCIe 4.0). I used the generic Microsoft NVME driver.

Do you have any idea about the reason?