Which NVMe Drivers are the best (performance related)?

OK guys. Your results show you are right. Then I compare these to my results. What to do to get such a performance on Windows 11 drivers? Samsung drivers got 50% more in sequential test than Microsoft drivers.

@pacuro
Before you start with a benchmark comparison test using different NVMe drivers you should make sure, that all tests are done with the same system and with similar settings (SSD write cashing policies, power options etc.). As you can see >here<, the results may be quite different.

You may need a mainboard and an NVMe SSD, which do support PCIe 4.0.

I am not asking about PCIe 4.0 performance. I have mobo with nvme pcie 4.0 slot. My question regards performance on windows 11 drivers. You say it should be the best and my screenshot says “samsung driver is better than windows driver”. Am I doing something wrong? It is not the case of 10 MB/s difference. It is 2247 MB/s vs 3090 MB/s.

@pacuro
My advice: Repeat the benchmark comparison tests under similar conditions.

Just a quick question. Could these drivers can mess with voltages so laptop can be damaged? (twice laptop wouldn’t open after a shutdown and changed parts this year maybe it’s unrelated I dont know) installed samsung nvme driver v3.3.0.2003 for my kingston 1tb from here

@gQx
Although I have tested a lot of different NVMe drivers with the NVMe Controller of various SSDs, I have never encountered an SSD voltage problem.
Especially the Samsung NVMe driver v3.3.0.2003 worked fine here with all tested NVMe SSDs from different manufacturers.

1 Like

CrystalDiskMark_20230518194005
CrystalDiskMark_20230518192504
Drive: Solidigm P41 Plus (2 TB)

Its source code is at smokingpc/glendronach: open source NVMe Driver for Windows (github.com).

@Zero3K
Thanks for your contribution, which shows, that your used SmokingPC NVMe driver is not a good alternative. The numbers you got with this driver are really bad.

It is open source, which allows for him or someone else to improve its speed. Maybe it doesn’t support HMB (which explains the slower performance).

On my X570, I am getting PCIe-4 speeds. However the Samsung 990 Pro from others benchmarks I see should be able to break 7000 MB/s SEQ Read
But I am consistently getting 6560 MB/s and while that is not bad its making me curious. Is it a Windows 10 vs 11 or a BIOS version?

So posting here to see if anyone with X570 on Windows 10 has similar results or better and where their setup differs from mine.

Test configuration:

Chipset: AMD X570 (Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX BIOS F4 w/ 5950X CPU)
OS: Windows 10 22H2 Build 19045.3324 (64-bit), clean install onto the Samsung 970 EVO
Win10 MS NVMe driver 10.09041.3155 (6-21-2006)

Tested NVMe SSDs:
a) 1TB Samsung 970 EVO (as system drive C:) - M2.SATA 1st slot CPU
b) 2TB Samsung 990 Pro (as storage drive P:) - M2.SATA 2nd slot Chipset

NOTE: D: and E: are just SATA drives

CDM set on NVMe SSD - Results:

@jfcarbel Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Since I have an AMD X570 chipset mainboard and have already done several benchmark tests with an 1 TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD, you may compare your numbers with the ones I have published >here<.
Here are my most recent benchmark results:
AMD X570+1TB Sams.990Pro+MS stornvme

Only you know your exact hardware configuration and the various settings, which have an impact on the SSD performance. That is why it is impossible to evaluate the differences of the benchmark results from outside.
To exclude the possibility of a faulty SSD I recommend
a) to check its health and Firmware by using the latest version of Samsung’s Magician and
b) to connect the vendor of the Samsung 990 Pro.
Enjoy the Forum!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Just thought I’d post here after I found this thread useful to get the best performance for my NVME drive ( [

CARDEA ZERO Z440 M.2 PCIe SSD 2TB

](CARDEA ZERO Z440 M.2 PCIe SSD 2TB | TEAMGROUP)

In my tests on the intel Z790i platform the Phison NVME driver gave me the best speeds.

But recently, after a recent windows update I found it started to cause BSODs citing nvme.sys.

So if anyone has a similar issue to me, try reverting back to the default driver.

@Dodgexander
Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum and thanks for your contribution!
Enjoy the Forum and the speed of your NVMe SSD!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Kingston SKC3000D2048G, X570, Win11, Samsung community driver 3.3

CrystalDiskMark_20240322115801

@the_borv
Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum and thanks for your really impressing benchmark results.
What do you mean with “Samsung community driver 3.3”? Which is the exact version and who offers it where? It would be fine, if you could attach that driverpack.
Enjoy the Forum!
Dieter (alias Fernando)