Yoga 2 Pro shutdowns every 30 minutes

You’re very lucky. Lenovo is very punctual with FD locking. Anyway, now you can reflash the ME region. Lenovo includes one at their website BIOS update so download and extract the attached ME region. Flash it via “fpt -f me_lenovo.bin -me -rewrite” and execute “fpt -greset” once its done. After the reset, you should have an operational ME. Afterwards you can use FWUpdate tool to update if you like.

me_lenovo.rar (1.08 MB)

The operation passed! Okay, now what should be the appropriate version of ME Firmware and MEI to install? 9.5? Is there anything else I should install?

I did run meinfo and says the GBE region does not exist. MEBx Version is 0.0.0.000. GBe Version is Unknown. MEI Driver Version is 11.5.0.10.11.

Antitheft is present/enabled. This should be disabled, correct?
Capable Licensing Service, Protect Audio Video Path and Dynamic Application Loader are all present/enabled.

Read the ME thread, section A, to see what driver is right for your system, everything is there. If you want AT disabled (as it should be), you need to properly follow the cleanup guide on your SPI dump. The region we took was from Lenovo which should be clean but does have the EOL AT enabled.

Thank you very much both plutomaniac and Ferrous! The computer has been running for over an hour without shutting off. Looks solved to me! I will follow thru with the last set of instructions. You guys are awesome! Thank you once again.

Okay so I have read until eyes are blurry. There is a ton to take in to understand what is needed to disable EOL AT safely. I tried but even had issues with the flash tool. The warning and possible pitfalls scare me… This is just way out of my depth. Important to understand your limitations, right?! Anyway, if you happen to have time, if you could provide that .bin file with the EOL AT disabled it would be greatly appreciated. I am very uncomfortable in trying it myself even after a few hours of reading.

Here is the ME region for your system which is now Configured (Lenovo settngs + AT Disabled), Clean, Updated and padded to be the same size as the original (0x3FF000). Flash it via “fpt -f me_fix.bin -me -rewrite”. Once it is done, execute “fpt -greset”. After the reboot, run “MEInfo -verbose” and you should see that everything is proper. Also run “MEManuf” tool to see the green “MEManuf test passed” message.

Capture.PNG

me_fix.rar (1.08 MB)

MEA 1.19.0_x ? :slight_smile:

Thank you plutomaniac. That did the trick and cleaned the rest of it up. All is as you said it should be. Again, very much appreciated.

Hey everyone, I’ve got the same problem with a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro.

I’m just starting to troubleshoot this issue and am hoping before I do anything drastic that I could maybe get some guidance.

When I run fpt -d spi-bin I get the following:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Flash Devices Found
W25Q64BV ID:0xEF4017 Size 8192KB
GBE Region does not exist
BIOS Version 76CN40WW
MEBx Version 0.0.0.0000
GBE Version Unknown
Vender ID: 8006
PCH Versin: 4
FW Version: 9.5.13.1706 LP

FW Capabilities:
Intel Anti Theft - Present/enabled
Intel Capability Licensing Service - Present/Enabled
Protect Audio Video Path - Present/Enabled
Dynamic Application Loader - Present/Enabled

TLS: Disabled
Last ME reset reason: Power up
Local FWupdate : Enabled
BIOS config lock: Enabled
Host Read acces to ME: Disabled
Host Write access to ME: Disabled
SPI Flash ID # 1 : EF4017
SPI Flash ID VSCC #1: 20252025
SPI FLASH BIOS VSCC: 20252025
BIOS Boot State : Post Boot
OEM Id: 0
Capability Licensing Service: Enabled
OEM Tag: 0
Independent Firmware Recovery: Disabled
OEM Public Key Hash (FPF): 0
OEM Public Key Hash (ME):
ACM SVN FPF: 0x0
KM SVN FPF: 0x0
BSMM SVN FPF 0x0

Force boot guard acm: Disabled
Protect BIOS Environment: Disabled
CPU Debug Disabled: Disabled

-------------------------------------------------------------------

From what I understand the next step, due to the ME write/read access being locked, is to boot in ME recovery mode. Is this correct?

That output is from MEInfo, not FPT. Either way, you currently have no read/write access to the ME region in order to reflash its firmware. I don’t remember how to unlock it at that model but the previous pages should have the answer from other people. Once you have read/write access, follow the CleanUp Guide with the dumped SPI image.

Thanks @plutomaniac.

Unfortunately I attempted to update the BIOS with the latest patch from Lenovo and might have caused another issue. I’m stuck in some sort of loop that resets every 5 seconds. It does not make it to post, it just flashes the keyboard and resets. I’m going to do a bit more research on how to get past this issue then will continue with troubleshooting the ME issues.

So I’ve tried a few things and it looks like I’ve bricked the Yoga 2 Pro. I can’t seem to get it to post at all. I’m going to remove the W25Q64 and throw the most up to date bios on it via an eeprom programmer.

Am I able to disable AT in the firmware from lenovo prior to programming?

Yes, follow the CleanUp Guide on the SPI image before flashing it.

Just ran through the Cleanup guide and encountered some issues.

First, the Bios I extracted from Lenovo’s website, 76cn43ww throws an unrecognized error in FITC.

I noticed a few other users in this thread had the same laptops and so downloaded their backup bios’ to use as a starting point since mine is currently bricked.
From here I’m able to get through to step 10 where I should see multiple BINs but only have the ME Region.bin. If I proceed with just replacing the ME Region.bin I’m able to build my outimage.bin. If I diff the two config files there are a few differences not documented in the Cleanup thread. I’ve attached the two config files and am wondering if subtle differences mean I’ve messed up the process somewhere or if they are okay.

Thanks for the help.

configXML.zip (25.2 KB)

I have attached the latest BIOS/SPI image from Lenovo’s 76CN43WW. You can flash that directly as it should be Configured (but not dirty/Initialized). You can follow the CleanUp Guide on that SPI if you like but its not a dump so it shouldn’t be required in this case.

76CN43WW.rar (2.95 MB)

Hey, thanks @plutomaniac. I was able to dump that bios onto the w25q64bv with my programmer. The programmer verified it was there but the laptop did not respond well. It’s still in a pre-post reboot cycle.

I’m going to retry in the next few days but am also researching what else the issue could be.

:frowning:

@ jCricket:

I suppose you meant “flash” that bios, not dump. Provided that it was done properly, that is all that’s needed to get it back up and running. After the SPI chip reflash try removing all power (AC, battery, RTC battery) for 1 minute. If the problem persists, it should be elsewhere. Maybe EC or hardware related.

Hello! There is a strange problem when i tried to clean me on Asus UX31LA
Laptop arrived with no picture, i flashed the dump from unternet, after that laptop started. But it starts after 15 sec black screen.
i decided to clean me, but me analyzer says that trere is no ME in my dump. FITC gives an error while opening dump.
Same situation with old dump (that i readed from chip before flashing dump from internet.

I didn’t find other memory chips on this device, only one.

How can it be?

Link to my old dump and new one from internet
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GoPsJg…HE7dw0sbIw46OpK
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pKxHiQ…qy32nEYUEYIZhKK

Both of these are not valid dumps, they contain nothing. Your programmer is probably not reading the chip properly.

Thank you so much- this fixed my Yoga 2 issue. No more shutdowns after 30 minutes.