Z200 switches off after 30 minutes - unable to Ctrl-P or flash ME firmware

Sounds like something I would do, hopefully it’s OK! I know BIOS is OK after this happens usually, but it gets hot real quick
You can flash via FPT, you did unlock FD in last BIOS you programmed in didn’t you? If not, then it’ll have to wait until you can program again.

@lwoody7110 - they are talking about this model having a FDO jumper on this thread
HP Z200 Small Form Factor Workstation - Management platform in manufacturing mode/shuts down after 30 minutes

So you may be able to set that and then FPT write ME region, and possibly FD too I can’t remember, unless it’s only on the SFF model and not this one

The motherboard seems ok. The Pi is dead with no video output. A new one arrives tomorrow.

For some reason, the Plutomaniac BIOS with my GbE region added will not flash in DOS, Windows, or in the BIOS’s own flash upgrade. I’ll wait until the new Pi arrives before trying again. I haven’t unlocked FD. I don’t know how to do that.

The SFF is a different board but I’ll take a look as the thread as the two models are related.

Did you try to install Plutomaniac´s BIOS with your GbE region added in BootBlock Emergency Recovery mode? How to get there I described in the HP Forum Post 27 https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-P…/6911438/page/3. Alternatively, try the Crisis Recovery Jumper E15. Look here https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-P…ed/td-p/6658619

I’m happy to wait for the Pi to turn up tomorrow and enjoy a Netflix binge this evening!

@lwoody7110 - unlocking FD is easy, edit line 60 in hex as shown in the first image in second spoiler at section B here
[Guide] Unlock Intel Flash Descriptor Read/Write Access Permissions for SPI Servicing

Once you do that, you no longer have to use programmer, as long as you always make that edit again to any BIOS you flash in the future. Once it’s unlocked you can read/write all regions using FPTw

On the GbE region add, it may be due to how you are adding, or a mistake in the insertion? You do not need to add/insert, only edit that BIOS file he sent you in hex editor.
Go to offset 1000 and enter your MAC ID instead of the default/generic one 88:88:88:88:87:88, enter yours in the >> regular order >> straight-forward >> and not like I mentioned with the UUID stuff.

Since you are flashing instead of programming, it may be blocked due to some security/signature check?
It’s hard to say without seeing the file you are using, and methods you are trying to flash with, but I say go ahead and do as I mentioned above instead of some insertion or addition etc. and then try again.
Also, GbE region is unlocked in your FD, so you can write GbE using FPT >>> FPTw.exe -gbe -f gbefile.bin

I’m certain that my own altered BIOS failed a security check. Using the programmer bypasses that check.

I stuck with what was familiar to me. I tried the method in post #57 and I’m so happy to say that my x3470 motherboard is now fully fixed.

I’ll do the same method to the x3450 motherboard in the coming days and subsequently reactivate Windows 7 once I’m back to the x3470 motherboard again.

Thanks so much for everyone’s help.

@lwoody7110 - Yes, probably when flashing it could just be failing due to security/signature checks. Good to hear you have it all sorted out now!

Hi all
I had exactly the same problem with HP Z200 Full size not SFF. Can you please tell me if I can remove the dump using intel flash programming tool, edit the mac address, etc. and fill in the BIOS image again by closing the E1 jumper? Or is it still the best solution to buy a programmer? The board is currently disconnected every 30 minutes. Thank you all for your help.

@Maxtor - you only need to put on a correct updated and settings transfered ME FW image via FPT, with the jumper enabled first.
If you do not have a ME FW dump from your system, or some other same system, then you’ll need to find one first, then use that as in place of your current messed up ME in a BIOS image, to then update it via the ME FW clean thread and flash it back in

@Lost_N_BIOS Thank you for the answer. Please tell me how to do it correctly. I have a working HP Z200 system, I can dump the BIOS firmware. I will do this job for the first time, so there are so many questions. :slight_smile:

@Lost_N_BIOS - Can you Write a step by step guide for newbies to fix Z200 Workstation With this problem? My Workstation is shutting Down every 30 minutes after bios Upgrade from Hp.

I second this. Does anyone have a guide for this? I updated my bios to 1.22 and now experiencing the 30 minute shutdown. So annoying and out of warranty.

Hi all!
I bought a CH341a programmer with a clothespin, but I could not read the data from the SPI flash chip.
As a result, I unsoldered it and the SPI chip was read. At the moment I have a BIOS dump, as well as the BIOS provided by Plutomaniac.
Please tell me how to insert my GBE region and MAC address into the BIOS file from Plutomaniac?

Thanks.

The address (hex) of the LAN is at 00001000. In your old bios you can find the mac address at this location. I made a picture of my old bios info before I took the bios chip out, because you also need the UUID and chassis serial number.
When you use the bios from Plutomaniac, just enter your mac address at the right location with the HEX editor and save the .bin file. Program it with your CH341A on the new chip (or use old bios chip after deleting it. I recommend to use a new chip so you always have a backup of the old bios incl. the regions).
After programming the chip you solder it on the board (take out the battery) and in my case the computer started up with a memory count and some errors. Use a ps2 keyboard if your usb keyboard is not able to startup F10. After entering the UUID and serial number in the bios, just reboot. There could be a problem with booting your harddisk. I installed a new SSD and after windows install there was no boot problem anymore.
Thanks a lot, Plutomaniac, @lwoody and all of you who helped solving this "stupid" HP ME problem, which left al lot of good workstations for dead.

Using a CH431A+CLIP SOIC8 does not work when the chip is on the board. I thinks it leaks power and gets disturbed. What you need to do is take out the bios chip from the board using a copper wire self made clip (see you tube video "How to remove smd chip without hot air"). After that it was detected easily using the same clip. For some dollar you can find (ebay or aliexpress) some new bios chips and keep the old one as backup. It is a MX25L6445E M2I-10G. The easyest way to the final solution is to use the prepared bios of Plutomaniac on this forum. You only need to read it into a HEX editor like HxD, and put your mac address from the LAN at position 00001000. Look it up in your old bios by first reading your chip with the programmer and save the bin file. Its a hex-number of 12 digits, something like 64 30 50 24 D4 77. You can also get this information from your bios (F10). You also need the UUID and Chassis serial number. Check you bios for these things before unsoldering it. The rest you can find under answer #74.

Mine worked - for a while until I bent a few pins.

I unplugged EVERYTHING from the motherboard before connecting the clip over the bios chip.

Maybe it’s a degree of luck.

Hi guys, Noobie here first time attempting bios flashing hoping someone could give me some pointers, I had the same problem on my Z200 turning off in 30min and bios splash showing in "manufacturing mode"

I followed the steps in posts #74&75 as below

1.log into bios and recorded Mac Addresss, UUID and Chassis serial number.
2. removed motherboard from case and remove battery
3. removed bios chip from motherboard
3. use CH431A programmer to read chip contents and made backup
4. Edit Plutomaniac bios 7H3_0122.bin - put the my original MAC address at 1000h using a HEX editor
5.erase chip , then write edited Plutomaniac bios 7H3_0122.bin to chip and verify
6. resolder chip to board and assemble
7. boot then F10 and enter my UUID and Chassis serial number save.

Result: computer now stays on :slight_smile:

but Bios splash still shows in "manufacturing mode" what am I missing?

I have same problem, with the same pc Z200 not SFF but MidTower

1. I don’t have any SPI Programmer, should I get one?
2. I have recorded UUID, MacAddress, as well as Serial Code of PC, how to insert this to Plutomaniac’s BIOS?
3. I cannot make full dump SPI/Bios file since the It has error 280 failed as BIOS has write protected?

Please help…

@z4n3tti for option 3 go to this post : [GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 280 or 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash

Hope will helped.