ASRock X58 Extreme: Problems to update Intel RAID ROM

Thank you fernando for the marvellous guide :slight_smile:

I have a problem in module replacement: i’m trying replacing ICH10R module in order to get TRIM working but the new module is bigger than the older one and the program says that there is not enough free space, as you said i tried to delete some other module, as the “logo” one but I can’t find it, can you help me?

these are the screens of mmtool with my bios loaded :slight_smile:

thank you :slight_smile:

screen 1.jpg

screen 2.jpg

@ apavoncello1988:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Please give me the manufacturer and the name of your mainboard. An additional link to the latest BIOS would be great. Then I will try to help you.

Regards
Fernando

thank you!!!

my motherboard is the “X58 Extreme” by AsRock and this is the bios on which I would like to enable trim: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2gqdjkd6u6etdgs/X58EX_2.90

the new module is the one that you post here: TRIM in RAID0 now available for ICH10R systems!

Best Regards
Andrea

@ apavoncello1988:

Thanks for the link to the BIOS.
You are right: It is impossible to simply replace the 72 KB sized original Intel MSM RAID ROM v8.0.0.1039 by the 117 KB sized modded Intel RST RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702. The limited space for OROM modules is a typical problem of X58 chipset mainboards.
At least you have 2 options:
a) Ask ASRock for a BIOS with an Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702. If you should get it, the replacement of the OROM module should be no problem.
b) If you don’t use/need the JMicron SATA ports, delete the JMicron RAID module (VEN_107B, DEV_2360), before you replace the Intel RAID ROM. I just tested it and it works (no error message).

Good luck!

I don’t use it :slight_smile:

thank you very much !!!

NOT WORKING

i deleted the jmicron module and replaced the ICH10R one, but when I boot the system, the pc cannot enter in the raid config utility and i have been obligated to flash back the stock bios in order to make the pc working…

any advice? maybe i got the wrong module modded OROM module?

thank you

Have you done a CMOS clearing after having flashed the modded BIOS?
Please have a look into >this< thread and especially into >this< post.

EDIT:
It is very important to do the following after having flashed the modded BIOS:
1. Clear CMOS.
2. Enable the "RAID" mode of the Intel SATA Controller.
3. Disable the JMicron Controller within the BIOS.
After having rebooted, you should be able to enter the Intel RAID Utility by hitting CRTL+I.

Good luck!

no way…

flashed and cleared lots of times and tried any combination of settings for intel and jmicron, but in raid mode intel wont start… it’s possible that depends by the space dedicated to the pci orom module? so simply that this OROM is too “big” for my bios?

thank you

I am not sure about that, because you have saved some space by deleting the JMicron OROM module (uncompressed size: 31 KB) and the tool MMTool usually indicates, if there is not enough space for a replacement of a module.
Maybe the compression of the Intel RAID ROM is still too strong…
Another thought: It may be possible, that the jump from the Intel MSM RAID Utility v8.0 to the RST v11.6 is too large, with the result, that the RAID array, which had been created by the old MSM RAID OROM, hasn’t been correctly detected by the updated OROM version.
If you want, you can try the following:
1. Do a backup of your RAID array.
2. Enter the old Intel RAID Utility and break the RAID0 array.
3. Optional: Boot off a Live CD or Parted Magic and format/secure erase both former RAID0 members.
4. Enter the BIOS and set everything to DEFAULT.
5. Flash the modded BIOS.
6. Clear CMOS.
7. Enter the BIOS and set the Intel SATA Controller to "RAID" and disable the JMicron SATA Controller.
8. Reboot and hit CTRL+I.
9. If you are able to enter the Intel RAID Utility v11.6.0.1702, create a new RAID0 array.
10. Reinstall the OS or restore the earlier done RAID0 backup.

thank you very much :slight_smile: i’ll try!!!

I would like only to ask you a pleasure: if you have 5 minutes, can you prepare for me the modded bios so to avoid even the possibility that i made some mistakes in bios preparation?

best regards
Andrea

I have sent you an eMail.
If you should not succeed at least with the modded BIOS, I recommend to replace the original Intel MSM RAID ROM v8.0.0.1039 by the Intel RST RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008. With this OROM module you will not get TRIM into our RAID0, but a better compatibility with more actual Intel RST RAID drivers (best option: RST driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL). Since the RAID OROM v10.1.0.1008 has only a size of 85 KB, I don’t expect any space problem. So you probably can let the JMicron OROM module untouched.

Good luck!
Fernando

hi Fernando!!
no luck… :frowning: i tried to flash the bios that you have sent me but no changes, even unmounting the array as you adviced; always blinking cursor.
anyway doesn’t matter :wink: thank you very much for the effort!!!

best regard
Andrea

@ apavoncello1988:
Hello Andrea,

it is a pity, that you didn’t succeed at least to get the modded Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702 working with your X58 RAID0 system. Nevertheless I want to thank you for having tried it and for your feedback.
If I were you, I would contact ASRock and ask for an updated BIOS with more space for the Intel RAID ROM (see my post #7).

EDIT:
Since your report may be interesting for other users with an ASRock X58 Extreme mainboard, I have created a new thread and moved the posts.
I hope, that is ok for you.

Merry Christmas!
Fernando

good idea for the new thread :wink:

thank you very much and Merry Christmas to you and your family
Andrea

Hi Fernando!!! I have a marvellous news for everybody :slight_smile:

I have contacted the AsRock customer support and in two days they have provided me a new custom BIOS with the OROM v11.6.0.1702!!! In only 30 seconds I have replaced with modded OROM and now TRIM is ENABLED :smiley:
NO clear CMOS
NO unplug PSU or strange procedure

JUST FLASH AS A NORMAL BIOS UPDATE!!! no problem with my existent array or else

This is the link to the bios that they have provided me with STOCK OROM (NO TRIM), maybe can be useful to other people that have ploblems:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/59lk3e12g1hgp5i/X58EX_2.90b

this is the link to the new bios with MODDED OROM (TRIM WORKING):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0c1en79prqsb6nu/X58EX_2.90m

I hope to have been useful :wink:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Andrea

Hello Andrea,

thanks for your report, which is good news for other users with a similar system.

Merry Christmas!
Fernando

I am working on the exact problem with another/diff x58 motherboard (p6x58d prem), i will start a topic when i have exhausted all options made available. Thanks! With that said, Fernando, do you see any diffs which catch you eye?

@ lowjax:

This is a good idea.

No.

Regards
Fernando

@ mienrom:

That is easy to explain:
The BIOS files, which have been linked by the user apavoncello1988 within >this< post, contain 2 slightly different Intel RAID ROM modules v11.6.0.1702:
a) the original OROM module and
b) a modded version of it (some bytes were altered by CPL0 to enable the TRIM in RAID0 feature for ICH10R Soutbridges).

Regards
Fernando

EDIT: Unfortunately the Forum member mienrom later on has completely deleted the text of the quoted post.

Hi,

I’ll try this on a P5Q3 Deluxe by ASUS where I also could only use the 10.1.x OROM. I report after the test…

Edit:

It’s not working for me, even with deleted unused other modules and inserting uncompressed. After the RST screen the computer stops posting. But I tried… :wink: