[GUIDE] Haswell-E/EP Xeon CPUID:306F2 Turbo Unlock

Compatible Intel® Xeon® Processor v3
E5-1428L, E5-1603, E5-1607, E5-1620, E5-1630, E5-1650, E5-1660, E5-1680, E5-2408L, E5-2418L, E5-2428L, E5-2438L, E5-2603, E5-2608L, E5-2608L, E5-2609, E5-2618L, E5-2620, E5-2623, E5-2628L, E5-2630, E5-2630L, E5-2637, E5-2640, E5-2643, E5-2648L, E5-2650, E5-2650L, E5-2658, E5-2660, E5-2667, E5-2670, E5-2680, E5-2683, E5-2685, E5-2687W, E5-2690, E5-2695, E5-2697, E5-2698, E5-2699, E5-4610, E5-4620, E5-4627, E5-4640, E5-4648, E5-4650, E5-4655, E5-4660, E5-4667, E5-4669

In my example 18-core Xeon(R) E5-2696 v3 processor has set from the factory an all-core turbo of 2.8GHz and this guide help you set maximum all-core turbo for your processor. This is kind of “overclocking guide” with fixed negative Vcore offset for best performance. Main limitation of the performance is processor’s TPD and currency throttling limits so there is very small chance to harm your components. Still high performance VRM cooling is recomended. You are still operating at your own risk and your BIOS settings going to be reseted to factory defaults!

Requirements:
- CPU microcode revision patch must not be loaded during POST process ( this guide include removing of the microcodes )
- Knowledge where to download and how to use UBU Tool

It is recomended to load microcode for your CPU in operating system level:
- Be sure that you have installed intel-microcode package in Linux systems
[Canonical’s intel-microcode in Ubuntu]

- KB4100347, KB4090007, KB4091663 or KB4091664 Windows Update package depending of your Windows 10 version
[Summary of Intel microcode updates]

I use in my example of Asus Motherboard because I have it on my own. There may be the difference between the steps of the process depending of your manufacter of the mobo.

1) First download lastest version of your bios from Asus Download Center

2) Open the bios file with UEFITool_NE. You can download it > here <
With this tool you can easily find the microcode sections. There is two sections where the microcodes is stored in my example bios file.

2.png

- Right click the microcode section and Extract body…
- Open extracted body with HxD or any hex editor and delete all lines except the last and save. After that it will be look like this.

hxd.png

The file that I am using is v3x4-0.10b-i306f2-rc9.efi from here: freecableguy’s v3x4
I have converted .efi driver to .fss driver that can be injected to bios file using pbatard’s efifs
You can also make that on your own if you are feeling distrust.

- Open the bios file with UEFITool. It can be downloaded same site that UEFITool_NE before.
Find the same microcode sections from the bios file that before. Right click the section and select Replace body… and find the file that we edited before. Be sure that you replace both sections with the same edited file without microcodes.

- Find section with lots of DXE drivers.

DXE.png

- Go to the bottom of the section and select very last DXE driver and right click, then select Insert after…
Select v3x4rc9.ffs - file and click OK.

after.png

- Save the bios file as bios.bin

The file set these settings

MAX_PACKAGE_COUNT = 4
CPU_SET_MAX_TURBO_RATIO = 0
CPU_SET_MAX_UNCORE_RATIO = 0
CPU_SET_OC_LOCK = FALSE
UNCORE_PERF_PLIMIT_OVRD_EN = FALSE
FIVR_FAULTS_OVRD_EN = TRUE
FIVR_EFF_MODE_OVRD_EN = TRUE

3) Move the saved bios file to UBU Tool folder
- Run UBU.bat with administration rights.
- Update the UEFI drivers if needed. More info about that is under [Tool Guide+News] "UEFI BIOS Updater" (UBU) thread.
- When you are ready select 0 - Exit and select 1 - Rename to ASUS USB BIOS Flashback

3) Move the created bios file to USB stick and use Asus USB BIOS Flashback.
More info about the flashback is in your mobo manual. There is spesific USB port to flashback.
Its take some time so do not rush. Turn on your PC and set your BIOS settings because all your settings has to set factory defaults that may cause also longer boot time and multiple restart in the boot prosess so do not panic and wait when you see the request to enter the bios.

bios.jpg

3) BIOS Settings to improve performance

- CPU Core Ratio > By Core Usage
- Set individually every Core Ratio Limit to max value, example 38

cores.jpg

- Long Duration Package Power Limit to max value, example 4095
- Package Power Time Window to max value, example 127
- Short Duration Package Power Limit to max value, example 4095
- CPU Integrated VR Current Limit to max value, example 1023.875

limits.jpg

- CPU Core Voltage > Offset Mode
- Offset Mode Sign > -
- CPU Core Voltage Offset find the lowest value that keep the system stable, example 0.086

offset.jpg

[OPTIONAL - if you know what you are doing]
- CPU Input Voltage increase default value, example 1.880

inputv.jpg

[/OPTIONAL]

- CPU C-States > Enabled
- Enhanced C1 State > Enabled
- CPU C3 Report > Disable - if enabled causing system lockups
- CPU C6 Report > Disable - if enabled causing system lockups
- Package C State limit > C0/C1 state

csate.jpg

RESULTS

Before

before.png

After

success.png

v3x4rc9.zip (6.02 KB)

sandsifter_instructions.zip (2.18 MB)

Nice Guide!

Just for understanding, without patched UEFI there are no settings for overclocking?

I have not investigated all situations and guide is not perfect. The idea of the UEFI batch is to fool mobo to run CPU in limitless turbo boost rations.
There is benefits when you remove microcodes only and run without patch but there is still some limits in performance.

There are the changes what UEFI patch is doing:

MAX_PACKAGE_COUNT = 4
CPU_SET_MAX_TURBO_RATIO = 0
CPU_SET_MAX_UNCORE_RATIO = 0
CPU_SET_OC_LOCK = FALSE
UNCORE_PERF_PLIMIT_OVRD_EN = FALSE
FIVR_FAULTS_OVRD_EN = TRUE
FIVR_EFF_MODE_OVRD_EN = TRUE

These are more important if your mobo don't have those options in BIOS. As is it said these settings has to be made before microcode is loaded so you have to delete microcodes from bios level. Intel has fixed this "overclocking bug" for newer v4 generation Xeon prosessors.

You can study about this more from:
Anandtech - What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?
github - freecableguy / v3x4

Can anyone help me a bit?

Is there way to add spesific microcode that will be loaded on bios level after v3x4rc9 driver? What is the order of bios modules loading? How to transfer microcode to .fss module?

On non xeon haswells it is possible to go over the max turbo limit by writing in the MSR from the OS. You have to disable the OS applied Microcodes and the ones in the Bios for this, since it’s the same Bug it should be possible here to.

As has been said before that particular exploit requires “Turbo Overclockable” feature to be present which locked desktop and many mobile CPU’s as well as Xeon’s do not have. Also IMHO better to apply before OS loading.

@raun0 how about 306f1 and 306f0, have you been able to try these?

I have Asus X99-A II + E5 2620v3 and I tried to do bios with this guide but it wont post with it at all I got code 61 in lcd

Does cpu post before mod?

Yes computer works just fine before mod and after flashback later in the evening I did find manual with codes (manual from asus eu didnt have) it seems its nvram init where it fails
does it have something to do with cpu driver or maybe I did screw something while doing modded bios my knowledge is really limited on modern hw since I havent palyed much with them after C2D era.

I just asked cause I have a dead xeon, and this one got stuck on postcode 61 too.

Interesting what Xeon you have?

It sees that I got it working finally I had some problem with efi driver.

Great thread and thank you…So from what I’m reading, running with no microcode will result in a performance increase but doing this step “The file that I am using is v3x4-0.10b-i306f2-rc9.efi from here: freecableguy’s v3x4 I have converted .efi driver to .fss driver that can be injected to bios file using pbatard’s efifs
You can also make that on your own if you are feeling distrust.” will get you even better performance? I’ve got the new hero bios files made with no microcode, so flashing that should improve performance on a X99-UD4 with a 2699 v3? What would happen if I were to put a 5960x in that same board with no microcodes?

Hello :slight_smile:
I found your great ToDo how to overclock a xeon e5-2695 v3 on my Asus X99-A mainboard. I carefully did all the steps, but I couldn’t get it to work: boot error 03 (03 SYSTEM AGENT INITIALIZION BEFORE MICROCODE LOADING). Is your xeon e5 a “QS - Quality sample / ES - Engineer Sample” too? Otherwise I’d keep trying to find the right solution.
Thanks for reading and your reply. Have a great day!

Is it possible to push the turbo multiplier higher the maximum turbo multiplier of the CPU? For example, If the e5-2687w v3 has a maximum turbo multiplier of 35, can the multiplier be pushed to something like 38 without BCLK tweaking?

Were you able to change the microcodes using UEFITool? I use the NE 56 version of UEFITool and I have all the time a grayed option “replace body”.
I’m trying to boost E5-2695 v3 ES (in the Intel’s Ark base the same as e5-4660). Have you solved your problem yet?

@andyvonshick - If you want to update microcodes via UEFITool you have to use version 25 or 26, extract microcode body and then edit (look at bottom of file first, to check if there is a footer, if you see it there then be sure to put back once done if you extend the length)
Also, depending on BIOS, you may need to correct FIT table if you edit the microcodes >> [GUIDE] Update CPU Microcode + Fix FIT Using UEFITool / Hex

If you need mod BIOS let me know, be specific on what you need done and I will do for you.

Hello. Removed the microcodes, added the DXE driver, but the turbo boost will not unlock. If manually load v3x4-0.10b-i306f2-rc9.efi via the UEFI shell, the turbo boost will unlock.
My system: Supermicro X10DAi, 2 * Xeon 2683 v3.
What did I do wrong?

And the second question.
I looked at the code v3x4.c.
Here are the lines that set the ratio limit

//region 1
// IA Core ratio limit
if (CPU_SET_MAX_TURBO_RATIO > System->Package[ThisPackage].IACore.MaxRatio) {
System->Package[ThisPackage].IACore.RatioLimit = System->Package[ThisPackage].IACore.MaxRatio;
}

if ((CPU_SET_MAX_TURBO_RATIO < System->Package[ThisPackage].IACore.MinRatio) <br /> && (CPU_SET_MAX_TURBO_RATIO != 0)) {
System->Package[ThisPackage].IACore.RatioLimit = System->Package[ThisPackage].IACore.MinRatio;
}

// region 2
if (CPU_SET_MAX_TURBO_RATIO == 0) {
System->Package[ThisPackage].IACore.RatioLimit = System->Package[ThisPackage].IACore.MaxRatio;
}
else {
System->Package[ThisPackage].IACore.RatioLimit = CPU_SET_MAX_TURBO_RATIO;
}

If I understand correctly, then "region 1" does not make sense since in "region 2" RatioLimit is being rewritten depending on the value of CPU_SET_MAX_TURBO_RATIO.
What is the meaning of "region 1" code?

@Lost_N_BIOS Hi,

can you help me with BIOS? I have Supermicro X10SRA-F mobo with a sweet 2687w v3 monster on it.

I’ve been trying to import a v3x4 driver, to clean ME FW, unlock menus and tried to get rid of annoying 95.2Mhz (wtf is this shit!? Spreadspectrum is disabled.) BCLK. Well, without any luck.

If you will be able to help me that will be much appreciated.

Here is link to the bios file:
https://www.supermicro.com/about/policie…wareItemID=6671

P.S: I have a flash programmer so it’s not a prob to me to revive a brick.

Hey Guys.
today i have done my Huananzhi X99-TF motherboard V3 Turbo and i decide to share all my content in this forum.
The configuration that i use is:
Huananzhi x99-TF V5.11
Intel Xeon 2680v3 12c/24t 3.3ghz all core turbo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you have a Huananzhi x99-TF and you want to do all core turbo mod on Xeon V3
This Bios mod dont need microcode inside, and you can run Xeon V3 mod on windows microcode:
Huananzhi x99-TF V5.11 motherboard READY TO FLASH

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what is inside?
this is the same MOD that i find on win raid GUIDE with update to work with New Chinese Motherboard

How to flash X99 with winbond 25Q128 ?
25Q128JVSQ Huananzhi x99-TF

here is the EEprom Programmer:
ch341a 24 25 séries eeprom flash bios usb programador módulo + soic8 sop8

here is the software:
CH341 Programmer 25Q128 From X99 Motherboard

How to flash X99 with winbond 25Q128 by windows Live Flash?

Huananzhi x99-TF V5.11 FLASH WINDOWS 10