2x Samsung 970 Pro 1To (NVMe) in RAID 0 less good than without raid...?

Hello all

I just bought 2 NVMe Samsung 970 Pro 1 To to make an raid 0 on the Asus Maximus XI Extreme (chipset Z390) last drivers (i let the original RST OROM, i just update the Intel ME Firmware to the 1,5Mo v12.0.10.1127).

I fault by doing this raid 0 i will have a better speed… But it worst than an 1 970 Pro alone without raid…

like you see here they make an test of the 970 Pro (version 512Go):

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/sa…-review,15.html

except for the write Seq Q32T1 i have a very bad speed compare to the non Raid 970 Pro…

my setting an bench (sorry for the french):

my bad raid0.jpg

the manual of my motherboard show that : (i am little lost about, wich option is connected with the cpu or chipset and if it is the reason of my speed problem…)

Manual Motherboard.jpg

I make many test in a cold computer or runing since 1 hour, is a fresh windows 10 pro with all last drivers and last bios 0602 (except the RST OROM)

thank you

@Fraizer :
For users, who want to double the speed of their SATA connected system drive while working on big sized files (e.g. video encoding), the creation of a RAID0 array is a good idea, but this is not 100% valid for PCIe/M.2 connected NVMe SSDs.
Furthermore you should keep in mind, that the creation of a RAID0 array has nearly no affect on the data transfer performance while reading or writing of very small sized files. That is the reason why the 4KB scores are neither boosted by the creation of a RAID0 nor by adding a third or fourth SSD to an already existing RAID0 array.

hi
but Fernando do you saw the bench of the same NVMe 970 pro alone ? is normal i loose all this speed ?
do you think is because i am limited somwere or i dont activated something on the bios or the windows 10 ?
different bandwich in a pci cpu line or an chipset line ?

if i rember well i saw like an 6600 /s in a a forum group of asrock… maybe on x299 talking about a vroc i think…

No, that is not normal. You should see a performance boost while reading and writing big sized files.
I suspect, that you didn’t follow all my advices, which I have layed down within the start post of >this< thread.

hi again Fernando

yes i check your nice tread and i am like that… i even disable the Intel Speed Shift Techology.

if i let the cpu and the memory in auto / default this can play negatively ?..

i dont know what to do about that… i keep money since long time to offer to my self those 2x 970 pro with this mother board and cpu… i even saw bench of the 970 EVO who have an better speed compare to my raid 0.

any help will be welcome, i can post all screen you need

Also, since CrystalDiskMark by default uses random compressed data as test files, you should compare zero-fill test for single disk vs your RAID array, to see if you are getting the near double speed improvements with RAID0 that you might expect
File >> Test Data >> All 0x00 (Zero Fill)

Any overclocking should be avoided while running a RAID0 array. Such configuration is very sensitive regarding OC’ing.

hi Lost_N_BIOS

almost no any difference… :frowning:

Fernando

is not overclocked.

do you have idea where is my problem ? do you need some screenshots of my bios ? maybe it will help ?

one of my 970 pro or my motherrboard is defect and need to return it ?

abouty the nme slot communicating directly to cpu or to the chipset can result of that ?

Test SSD one at a time, are results similar? if yes, then test one of them at a time on each slot, results similar?

now i cant test them separatly i mount the raid on them and use them on the computer. i will delet the raid aray and install again all the windows 10 only if it is a way to solve my speed problem. but you can see the bench of guru3d test screenshot on my first post. it is the 970 pro in 512Go (i have the 1To)

@Fernando any other solution please ?

Provided, that the system runs fine and the RAID members are ok, all benchmark results except the 4K ones should be much better with an Intel RAID0 than with a single SSD.
How did you create the RAID array and which Intel RST RAID driver are you using?

i create them in the bios of the motherboard, i choose raid 0 and a strip of 64ko.

the driver are the last from our friend pacman on station driver : Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) 16.8.0.1000 and about the orom i let the defaut RST with the last bios 0602 of this motherboard. i update ttothe last ME firmware and put the last firmware from pac man too on station driver Intel Management Engine (ME) Firmware 12.0.10.1127 (S&H)(1.5Mo).

i install too the last Intel Chipset Device Software 10.1.17861.8101 and last intel lan 23.5 and the last Aquantia AQtion Network Adapter 2.1.12.0.

with this it is an full new windows 10 pro with last release of december and full update.

i dont have alot of windows services load in meory. I dont overclock any things, including my memoy who i let at 3000 when i can put it more than 4000. i let all overclock area in auto or default.

maybe is something i dont activated or disable on my bios ?

in case it help here is the manual of my motherboard:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MA…elpDesk_Manual/

hope with your help i will solve this issue

@Fraizer :
Have you measured the non-RAID performance of the same system or are you just comparing your RAID system’s performance to the performance of some other system on the screenshot?

Many things my affect I/O performance so unfortunately you will not necessarily get the same performance as in a reference system.

The slot/socket also might affect performance because some go to the CPU directly while others go through the chipset that might reduce the performance.

Note that your motherboard does not seem to support VROC so you have to use RAID provided by chipset that might be slower than connecting the NVMe drives directly to the CPU.

Spectre and Meltdown mitigations severely impact I/O performance, disabling those might improve the throughput, but also reduces security.

Operations on data smaller or equal size of the RAID 0 stripe size will not be faster, because performance improvement comes from reading/writing two different stripe sized chunks at the same time to the two drives. If however you chose smaller stripe size than the native block size of the drive then it’s going to hurt performance. You may want to try different stripe sizes and measure performance of you specific use case. Note however that as @Fernando pointed out, RAID 0 is generally better for large sequential data and has no effect on small random data reads/writes. Additionally the RAID controller adds some overhead that might result in worse overall performance, depending on your specific use-case. Also note that RST is software assisted that results in more overhead that pure-hardware solutions.

If you really want performance, you might want to invest into VROC that was specifically designed for high throughput NVMe. Unfortunately however I don’t have any experience with VROC so I don’t know how much improvement you should expect for the premium price.

hi @Ethaniel

like you see on my first post is an bench non raid of my nvme on a websit. i did test before and was not that bad speed on the raid. the only thing is one of those 2 nvme i forget to wipe the data (ii used one of them just for an test but both are new).

the vroc is hardware or an intel licence we can add ? i read like we have to pay 100$ this why i am thinking about an licence…

about the slot of my motherboard seriously i am lost because they a 4 slot nvme then 2 i use is the standard on the motherboard. the 2 others are in a assus dimm slot where i have to put my 2 nvme in sandwish and plug it to this asus slot.
what i read from someone (on the manual i am lost) what i am using actualy is line to chip set but the asus dimm slot seem is line to cpu… but this need to be confirmed…

Probably i am wrong to think that but the same person said if i use the asus dimm slot who is (what he said) i will reduce the performences of the video card (i plane when money to buy an evga 2080 ti ultra overcloked) between 1 to 3%… i understand by that the slot pci-e 1 (x16) is in direct line to the cpu…
This why i use those actual M2 slots… of course if the guy was right but it was mission impossible for me to check this informations…

here is the manual of my motherboard Z390:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MA…elpDesk_Manual/

I dont know what you think about that…

since this time i found this link of asrock forum they have crazy performences… What you think about that ? i was trying to understand but was little hard especialy when the english is not my first language. they was talking about VROC too and some use 299 chip but not all of them with better speed than mine with less good NVMe drives… If understood well.

the link of this post on the asrok forum: (i even make an post but no answer)

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?..e-m2-raid-setup

thank you guys to be here to help me, is not realy my things those new things i dont change computer since many years and must learn all those new options and restrictions

cross fingers youl help me to solve this issue

Do you want to solve the issue, or do you want to not break the array? Can’t have both??

I’m replying to your post #11 - that is only a single SSD test you mentioned from first post images, not single test of each drive one at a time and then again one at a time on each controller. You’re asking for solutions, but not liking the answers given on how to possibly find the problem.
I only mentioned this test due to your own comment “Maybe one of my 970 is defective”? So I told you how to test each one, and test each slot etc.

To confirm which slot goes to what, download the motherboard manual and look at the block layout, it’s generally at the front of the manual.

Lost_N_BIOS 1 of my single 970 pro have better speed than my actual raid 0. i dont make an screen of the bench because i dont had iussue before i make an raid 0. is many hours to install windows 10 :slight_smile: but i dont test both of them or each slot of the motherboard alone.

i want to check before to do something else the motherboard bios option to see if is not coming from that. i am waiting an feeback of @Ethaniel about what will answer to my questions to see how it can be. probably after that will broke my raid 0 to do some test of each nvme alone or different slots… i dont realy know but actualy i am dispointed of all the money i invest for this result… was probably better to go to an x299 solution but is much more expensive

Yes, but you never tested both SSD by themselves, and you asked “Does one have a problem” So I replied, only you can know if both are OK or one has a problem, by testing each SSD one at a time.

Many hours to install Win10? It takes less than 10 minutes, especially onto an SSD. If you mean after that, installing programs etc, I hear that. Make a backup image of the RAID array and use that to restore once you are done checking things out, easy and quick (I suggest Macrium Reflect, it’s easy to use, good software, and free)

You also need to check that block diagram in your manual, and make sure your RAID array disks are both using the same connection method/controller

thank you i will do that after i will receive answer from @Ethaniel is no sence to do that if i can know is because i am limited with this motherboard or if is because i dont activated somthing. yes many hours when i install all my softwares and settings them is alot od data to save and restore this why too i prefer to wait Ethaniel because probably afteert hat i will just use finaly 1 drive waiting the new x399 chip + vroc set and sell my actual motherboard + cpu.