CPU Microcode BIOS modding questions/problems

I am so sorry if this has already been asked, but when it comes down to CPU Microcode - would the "For Overclockers’ Microcode possibly benefit me? Does it actually provide something that improves overclocking? I am running ASUS P8Z77-V Pro with Intel i7 3770K (Ivy Bridge) @ 4.8Ghz @ 1.31v. I would appreciate any info on how the “For Overclockers” CPU Microcode benefits overclocking!

Thank You!

Hello MonarchX! CPU Micro-code Rev. 1B for Ivy Bridge and 29 for Sandy Bridge may oblige you to increase the VCore of some step to maintain the level of stability achieved in an overclocked CPU with the older revisions that in this case are the Rev. 19 for Ivy Bridge and 28 for Sandy Bridge and for this reason in UBU is indicated "For Overclockers".
As i work in a laboratory that repair PCs and 'ive the possibility to test a lot of mainboards i’ve checked this situation and is confirmed even on ASUS motherboards. :wink:

Cheers,

KK

So the older Rev. 19 may require less voltage to achieve the same overclock for some CPU steppings, correct? How much less voltage? 0.01v? or 0.1v? 0.1v would be a BIG deal!

Maybe the reason it does that is because it increases voltage without telling you and Rev. 1B shows true voltage? ASUS motherboards tend to do that on their own. When I set voltage to 1.30v, real voltage is 1.31v. Maybe its the same with Rev. 19. I am just curious if the Rev. 19 could possibly improve my overclock that is already high @ 4.8Ghz @ 1.31v. Is there any info on which steppings the Rev. 19 benefits the most??? What about temperatures? Does Rev. 19 run hotter than Rev. 1B?

Here’s my CPU info in extreme detail - is it one of those that can benefit from Rev. 19?

Thank you fro such prompt feedback and support!!!

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded quoted text deleted (to save space and performance)

Hello MonarchX! It’s a long reply that i’ll have to prepare for you and i’ll prefere to send it by PM because we will risk to get off topic.
Now i’m not at home but this evening i’ll send you a PM.

Cheers,
KK

EDIT by Fernando: Not really needed fully quoted text deleted (to save space and performance of this important Forum thread)
Note: Splitting this thread and starting a separate one with the topic “CPU Microcode BIOS modding” may be indeed a good idea. Shall I do it for you?

Hello!

Have the following problem:

I have the latest BIOS (1603) for the (VI MAXIMUS GENE) made ​​up, but now my overclocked Xeon 3.5GHz e3-1230v3 only with what is probably the MICRO CODE UPDATE.
Now I wanted the old version (BIOS 1402) back on it but do not go :frowning:

Unfortunately, I have no idea about the matter and wanted to ask if any of the hereby Bios 1603 could customize with old microcode.

I hope you can help me here
Thank you ever!

EDIT by Fernandoi:
Here is the link to the BIOSes for BHM’s mainboard: http://www.asus.com/de/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_GENE/

@ BHM:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

The intention of this Forum is to help users to modify their BIOS, but not to do it for them. That is why you will find a lot of guides within this Forum.
Neveretheless I hope, that someone from our CPU Microcode experts will show you a way how to solve your problem.

Regards
Fernando

P.S.: I have deleted your German language post and my answer to save space within this already very voluminous thread.

@ BHM

If I understand you correctly, you want to get the new BIOS version 1603 which is the old Microcode version 12?

First many thanks for your effort

believe is the CPU-Patch x7 but I’m not sure

Thank you

sorry for the english

Thank you! Can’t wait to read it!

@BHM
Check. Put 07 microcode.

MAXIMUS-VI-GENE-ASUS-1603_MC07.zip (5.21 MB)

@ all:

Since the UBU Tool thread has meanwhile more than 1.000 posts, it is not easy for the visitors of my Forum to find the posts with the topic "CPU Microcode modding".
That is why I decided to split the UBU Tool thread and start a separate one with the topic "CPU Microcode BIOS modding questions/problems".
If I should have missed to move an important UBU Tool post regarding the manual CPU Microcode modding, please let me know it.

Regards
Fernando

Since I have created a new thread with the topic "CPU Microcode BIOS modding questions/problems" and moved the related posts from the UBU Tool thread into the new one, your discussion with MonarchX is not off-topic anymore.
So it would be fine, if you post your PM text into this thread. This way all interested users may benefit from your knowledge and findings.

Thanks in advance!
Fernando

Since I have created a new thread with the topic "CPU Microcode BIOS modding questions/problems" and moved the related posts from the UBU Tool thread into the new one, your discussion with MonarchX is not off-topic anymore.
So it would be fine, if you post your PM text into this thread. This way all interested users may benefit from your knowledge and findings.

Thanks in advance!
Fernando

@Fernando

@MonarchX

Thanks Fernando for having redirected to a dedicated thread for this topic.
At the moment I’m very busy with jobs that have upcoming deadlines but as soon as I have the right spare time necessary to deepen the questions of MonarchX, i’ll respond in a thorough and exhaustive as possible and compared to my knowledge and experience.
Cheers,

KK

So I checked my Gigabyte Z77 system’s BIOS Microcodes and this is the result:

As far as I know, you are not supposed to have multiple microcodes with the same CPUID. Also, this is a SB/IV system. So why do OEM’s keep duplicates & crap (like Nahalem ids) in there?

06A7_28 & 06A9_19 is the best for overclocking so I’ll keep these intact. What about everything else? 06A1-06A5 seem useless (Nahalem if I’m not mistaken). 06A6 is only relevant for a SB ES/QS processor. I don’t know about 06A8.

What should I keep and what to remove?

I think different revisions for one CPU ID can be in the BIOS. Although it is useless. I ended up removing all updates not related to my CPU.

I did some searching at cpu world and basically

06A1-06A5 are Nahalem CPUID’s → useless for Z77
06A6 is only for mobile i7-2720QM SB ES/QS cpu → useless for Z77
06A8 is only for some mobile IVB ES/QS cpus → useless for Z77

So I will leave only 06A7_28 and 06A9_19

Alternatively, this is done automatically by UBU (leaves only 06A7 and 06A9).

So the older Rev. 19 may require less voltage to achieve the same overclock for some CPU steppings, correct? How much less voltage? 0.01v? or 0.1v? 0.1v would be a BIG deal!

Maybe the reason it does that is because it increases voltage without telling you and Rev. 1B shows true voltage? ASUS motherboards tend to do that on their own. When I set voltage to 1.30v, real voltage is 1.31v. Maybe its the same with Rev. 19. I am just curious if the Rev. 19 could possibly improve my overclock that is already high @ 4.8Ghz @ 1.31v. Is there any info on which steppings the Rev. 19 benefits the most??? What about temperatures? Does Rev. 19 run hotter than Rev. 1B?

Here’s my CPU info in extreme detail - is it one of those that can benefit from Rev. 19?

Here’s the post I lost! I did not realize it was split from the main topic! So, back to the same question. Would the 6A9-19 CPU Microcode affect my Ivy Bridge CPU overclock, based on the GPU-Z info I provided? I never got that long PM…

@MonarchX

Hello, as you have read Fernando have redirected to a dedicated thread for the topic of your interest about CPU Micro-code.
As stated in the previous post, at the moment I’m very busy with jobs that have upcoming deadlines but as soon as I have the right spare time necessary to deepen the questions you posted, i’ll respond in a thorough and exhaustive as possible and compared to my knowledge and experience.
Thanks in advance for your patience. :slight_smile:

Chee

Here’s the post I lost! I did not realize it was split from the main topic! So, back to the same question. Would the 6A9-19 CPU Microcode affect my Ivy Bridge CPU overclock, based on the GPU-Z info I provided? I never got that long PM…

Hello MonarchX! Let’s start with a basic information about your configuration e.g. CPU-Micro Code because from your screenshot is not available and to know it you can download, execute and take a screenshot of HW Info (System Summary): http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Cheers,

KK

Just a small addition to CPU microcode modding on new BIOSes for Haswell/Broadwell/Skylake platforms: all microcode binaries are now referenced in a special Firmware Interface Table (read more here, it’s the only open document I can found), which can be found by searching for non-Unicode text “FIT” in the BIOS file.
If you remove, move, replace a microcode with a file of different size and somehow other tinker with microcodes on a BIOS with FIT, you need to calculate and adjust addresses there. And, if FIT has entries of any other types then Microcode (0x01), you are pretty much done here, because such BIOS is not moddable anymore. I can’t say more because of NDA, but please read the document linked above, while it’s still available.

OK, here is the CPU screenshot from HWiNFO (latest beta):

HERE is the saved report from HWiNFO (latest beta).

OK, so far I used the latest CPU Microcode for BIOS, NOT the one for overclocking. All I would like to know whether the CPU Microcode for overclocking can provide any overclocking benefit for my specific CPU.