Needing advice for ROM update

New here and needing some advice. I have the Asus P6T Deluxe v2 board, BIOS version 1202, using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and using a single Crucial M4 and a 500GB regular hard drive on the Intel SATA II ports. I did some testing and using the Intel RAID driver 12.6.3.1000 gave me the best performance. BIOS is set to RAID BTW. I tried BIOS set to AHCI and using the AHCI driver, but the performance was always a bit down compared to the BIOS set to RAID and using the Intel RAID driver. Not by much, but still down overall. I used Anvil’s Benchmark, CrystalDisk and AS SSD to gather information. I also let the drive recover overnight between each test.

But I did notice that when booting I get the “RAID” configuration window and I can see that the OROM version is 8.0.0.1038. When reading here it seems that this version is way old compared to my 8.0.0.1038.

So I am not sure if this is the right forum section for this, but would it be beneficial to update the OROM version? Since I am using the Intel RAID driver version 12.6.3.1000, what OROM would work with that? Or should I drop down some versions?

I am very “green” when it comes to this, but I am picking up from the sticky’s. What say anyone?

@ denaba:
Welcome at Win-RAID FORUM!

This is what I recommend to do:

1. Update the Intel RAID ROM of the latest BIOS for your mainboard to the RST v10.1.0.1008 according my guide. Note: You may not get any newer = bigger sized Intel RAID ROM modules into the BIOS (due to missing space for OROM modules).
  2. Install the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006, which probably will give you the best performance in RAID mode (and in AHCI mode as well, if you try it).

Regards
Fernando

Thanks Fernando for the quick response.

So speaking of "green" where do I get that Intel ROM? Sorry, but this is all new to me. Are you saying to install the Intel RST program that also includes the SATA AHCI single drive driver files? Then update the SATA AHCI single drive driver manually to 11.2.0.1006?

The Asus latest BIOS is 1202 which I have.

>Here!<

No, you may not be able to simply change the SATA mode within the BIOS and then to reboot into your currently running OS in AHCI mode.
The best option would be to do a fresh install of the OS after having flashed the BIOS with the updated Intel RAID ROM module. Before you start with the OS installation, you have to decide, if you want to run your SSD and HDD in RAID mode again or in AHCI mode.
Once Win7 x64 is up again, you can update the Win7 in-box RAID or AHCI driver to the Intel RST v11.2.0.1006 (either in RAID or in AHCI mode).
Your current combination of the very old and outdated Intel MSM RAID ROM v8.0.0.1038 with the brandnew Intel RST(e) RAID drivers v12.6.3.1000 is not optimal, because they both belong to totally different development branches with the consequence, that they do not understand each other very good. Furthermore the Intel RST driver v12.6.3.1000 doesn’t support your Intel ICH10R SATA Controller, if you have set it to "AHCI" mode.

So I looked at that list and I am confused now (which is easy so bear with me). On the list under Intel RST ROM the RAID listing says that the 11.2.0.1527 can be used for ICH8R and up. Is that not the latest one? Or from your data you are saying that 10.1.0.1008 OROM then after install the 11.2.0.1006 drivers is the best mix?

I f I get this, what you are saying is that when the OROM gets updated the user has to;
Update the OROM first
Then install a fresh copy of windows 7
Then manually change the SATA drivers manually.

How do you update the OROM, put the .bin on a thumb, enter the BIOS and then use the EZFlash update feature? Please remember, I am way behind the learning curve here, the more detailed step by step instructions the better for me.

Would it be easier to PM to do this?

As I already have written, you probably will not be able to get any newer Intel RAID ROM module newer into your mainboard BIOS, because they need much more space (120 KB) than the v10.1.0.1008 (85 KB). Please have a look into >this< BIOS modding success/failure table. There you will find another user with an ASUS P6T motherboard, who was not able to get a newer Intel RAID ROM into the BIOS.

Yes, under these BIOS space conditions it will be the best option.

Yes!

No, you have to to insert the Intel RAID ROM module into the BIOS by using the suitable BIOS tool (CBROM or MMTool). You can either replace the current Intel RAID ROM module by the newer one or remove the old one first and then insert the new one. Please read my guides carefully, before you ask new questions and before you start with your work. At first you should read >this< introduction and then the related BIOS Modding guide, depending on the BIOS architecture of your mainboard (Award/Phoenix or AMI).

That may be easier for you, but not for me and the other users of this Forum, who are BIOS modding beginners like you. This is an open Forum and not a private BIOS Modding school.

By the way: Since the topic of your thread has nothing to do with the drivers, but with the BIOS modding, I will move the complete thread into >this< Forum section.

Now it is clicking. So basically;

download MMtool v3.26
download the latest BIOS from the board manufacturer
download the proper OROM version (looks to be this forum has the right ones or can be pointed to the correct ones)

And if I read the instructions correctly
run MMtool
Use the load rom button, find you BIOS
click the “Replace” tab
browse for the OROM, once found click “open” button
now click the “Replace” button, changes will be made to the BIOS file
Click the “Save ROM as…” button and save the new BIOS
put on a thumb and reboot. Enter BIOS and use the ezflash tool and update the BIOS
Install your operating system to your drive

According to that list my board is not listed; a close one is (P6T). I see what you mentioned about the newer/bigger. But the other x58 boards seem to have higher OROM’s; those boards just had more space for the OROM change?

What do you think, should I also update the Marvell RAID controller while I am at this? I really do not use it much, maybe 5-10 times a year, mostly transferring movie files and entire disk images to my external.

Thank you again Fernando in taking the time to make this click for me.

Yes, maybe you are able to get the Intel RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527 into the BIOS of your mainboard.
You can do the following:

1. Download and unzip both Intel RAID ROM modules (v11.2.0.1527 and v10.1.0.1008).
  2. Run the MMTool and open the BIOS of your mainboard.
  3. Try to replace the original Intel RAID ROM module by the v11.2.0.1527. If you don’t get the message "not enough space" everything is fine. If you should get the error message, retry te same action by picking the Intel RAID ROM module v10.1.0.1008.

This way you will get the option to insert a newer and maybe better suitable Intel RAID ROM into the BIOS of your mainboard. In case of a failure you know for sure, that it really is impossible to get a bigger sized RAID ROM into the BIOS.

I do not recommend to do that. The procedure is more complicated than the update of the Intel RAID ROM and the possible result will not be worth the risk of a BIOS flash failure.
Another tip:
After having replaced the Intel RAID ROM module, don’t forget to verify the success of the procedure by extracting the freshly inserted Intel RAID ROM module, opening the extracted module with a hex editor and looking for the version on the right side. When you see "RAID for SATA - v11.2.0.1527" resp. "RAID for SATA - v10.1.0.1008", the BIOS modification has been successful.

Good luck!

Let’s say I was in RAID mode with no RAID array, just single SSD and HDD. Would imaging back my system work?

I did try the 11.2.0.1527 with BIOS 1202 and I got no error message like you mentioned. I was even able to save it, so I have two on my desktop; one with 10.1.0.1008 and the other 11.2.0.1527. FYI

Zitat von denaba im Beitrag #9

Let’s say I was in RAID mode with no RAID array, just single SSD and HDD. Would imaging back my system work?

Yes, it probably would.
Nevertheless I recommend to do a fresh OS install, because a later "downgrade" of the Intel RST(e) drivers v12.6.3.1000 to any "classical" Intel RST driver like the v11.2.0.1006 may leave some registry entries regarding iaStorF (it is a Windows or Intel bug), which will lower your performance.

If that means, that you now successfully prepared 2 different modded BIOSe, one with the OROM v11.2.0.1527 and one with the OROM v10.1.0.1008, everything is fine. Nevertheless you will not need the latter version, because the Intel RAID ROM version doesn’t have any impact on the BIOS flashing procedure - either you succeed or not, the replaced OROM file itself doesn’t matter.
Note: If the flash process using the EZ Flash tool should fail, you should try another BIOS flash method.

Ok thanks. Going to absorb this, I might try this in a day or two. I’ll report back in a couple of days

Hey thanks for your help and guidance.

So I wanted to start fresh again so I did the following

downloaded:
mmtools 3.26
BIOS 1202 from Asus
from this site 10.1.0.1008 and 11.2.0.1527

Did the above steps, but a question. In the tab Replace, found the OROM, clicked on each item called PCI Option ROM and then clicked replace each time (I have 3 listed). This may sound insignificant but I just want to make sure. My first line item was third on the list. When I updated it jumped to the second line item. What was the second line item is now the third; like they swapped. Normal?

Another question. Would it be better to update to 10.1.0.1008 then go to 11.2.0.1527?

This was a big mistake.
Only 1 of the listed PCI Option ROMs is the Intel RAID ROM. It has the "RunLoc" entries "8086,2822", which means, that the VendorID is 8086 (=Intel) and the DeviceID is 2822 (="Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller").

Just take the v11.2.0.1527. I have just tested it with your mainboard BIOS. It was no problem to insert it by replacing the old one.

By the way: I saw, that you posted something, a long time before I replied, but your post was empty.

Yeah, I was writing and then editing then writing and then editing. I think I saved once and then edited again.

Will try today or tomorrow

So I created both versions.

Tried the 11.2.0.1527 and it did not work. The splash screen comes up and then the next screen is usually the RAID screen, but it never shows up. It just hangs.

Went and put back the original BIOS and everything fine again.

Tried the 10.1.0.1008 and that did work. All settings entered in my BIOS and boots fine. Going to do some speed tests to see if anything is different.

That will be good to know for other users with a similar mainboard.

Congratulation, that you succeeded at least!

Well I tried loading the 11.2.0.1527 and still no joy, it hangs at the same point in both RAID and AHCI mode.

So I am at 10.1.0.1008. Do I just enter my information on that on thread about my success?

Also, speed tests came back around the same, but the 4k reads and writes did go up by 2 and 3 so every little bit helps.

System does fell nippier and no more shuddering. I use to see that when I launched my control panel. It was very small, but can be seen. Now seems more fluid.

@ denaba:

Thank you for your report. I am glad, that you succeeded with the Intel RAID ROM update and got a better system.

That is not needed. I will put your report into the BIOS modding success/failure table.

Have fun with your updated system!

@ Fernando:

Thank you again for your help and patience.

I’ll come back in a week or two and look at the success report, I have other boards in systems which I did see on the list.

denaba, did you try inserting the OROM uncompressed?