Insyde H2OFFT V5.55 - Invalid firmware image

Hello,
I’ve been trying to mod my bios (Change the logo),
on my laptop: Acer predator G9-791

Drivers page: acer_DOT_com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6371?b=1

Original BIOS FILE: global-download.acer_DOT_com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.12_A_A.zip?acerid=636752516469847805&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=PREDATOR&Step3=PREDATOR%20G9-791&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

*Replace ‘DOT’ with a regular dot (.)

I’ve used Phoenixtool256 to dump and edit the logo modules with the No-SLIC option enabled,
and it’s done successfully.

When I click OK the system reboots and the flashing process starts, but I get this Invalid firmware image error instead.

I’ve heard that you need to edit the iscflash.dll file and I tried to do some reverse engineering on it, but I can’t get there.
I have a little bit of reverse engineering knowledge, Any help?

Thank you very much.

bios-v1.12-moded.png

InvalidFirmwareImage.jpg

Phoenixtool-1.png

Phoenixtool-2.png

Hello.

No. This bios has a phased flashing process, which means that after launching H2OFFT in windows, it writes the file to a secure area, and only then the bios updates itself. Try using Intel Flash Programming Tool instead.

Thank you for your replay,
I tried it now, first I got a backup using FPT.exe -BIOS -D BIOS_BAC.bin
Then I’ve tried to flash it again with/without modification: FPT.exe -BIOS -F BIOS_BAC.bin
But I got the following error: "Error 316: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access."

So, this time it is blocked by FLOCKDN flag. With this error the recommended way to install a modified BIOS is a SPI programming.

Thank you very much for the help,
I think I am gonna try that as a last resort,

I’ll wait for a little while to see if there is any software solution without going into hardware stuff.

Thank you very much <3

@w4po
Wanna try out a new approach to patch H2OFFT so it will use legacy flashing mode, but not the secure mode?

I am really new to this topic so I don’t know what is the difference between the two.
But I am open to any suggestions, Thank you for helping me out <3

@w4po
deleted. Download this archive containing H2OFFT and run the program. If the BIOS installation does not start, and H2OFFT closes without any message, then there is no sense to run it again. If, nevertheless, it will throw an error message, then please write what exactly it says.

there is no error it asks if I want to continue flashing it or not,

Do you want me to continue?

Yes. You may continue. This is not a modified BIOS, so if it is installed nothing should change.

Yes. You may continue. This is not a modified BIOS, so if it is installed nothing should change.

system restarted and got a blacķ screen with keyboard light on. nothing changed

It won’t shutdown even if I hold the power button. and the battery is built-in

Does it means your notebook cannot boot up now? I didn’t quite catch what happened.

I removed the power cable and pressed the button for disconnecting the battery. then it powered up normally

@w4po
After you continued, was there a lengthy process with a filling progress bar?

Does it means your notebook cannot boot up now? I didn’t quite catch what happened.

Sorry I was typing from my phone, now I run my laptop again, let me explain what happened:

First I run the bios you sent, and the system rebooted but It just went a black screen and keyboard light on, nothing else,
it kept that way for a long time, I had to disconnect the power and now it works normally.

If you mean while I was in windows after I press ok to start flashing then yes, it was strange not what the normal (original one) would do.

but other than that, I got nothing after reboot, just a black screen, and after I disconnected the power my laptop booted normally showing the logo, etc… no sign of bios update or flashing or anything.

If I am not clear, I can do it again and record a video of the process

OK. But let me be completely convinced by asking if it lasted about a minute or more.

This is because the BIOS should have been installed in the system running.

No need.

In windows: no maybe 30-40 seconds
after reboot: it was just a black screen and I let it for more than 4 minutes but eventually I force shut down the laptop

We can know for sure if you did the same thing with the latest version available 1.12, as I have 1.11 installed now,
So if it changed we can know for sure it flashed successfully.

Thank you for all the help <3