Add VT-d to bios of supported chipset

Is it possible to add support for VT-d to a bios that does not support it when the chipset does?

(maybe use a similar bios that has support? I have a Asus P8Z77-V LX and I understood the P8Z77-V has support)

thx

@osrcs - I checked your BIOS 2501 and it has VT-d enabled by default (it may be hidden from you), it’s at root of “System Agent” submenu inside advanced. Can you see this setting, or can you not even see System Agent Submenu inside advanced?
However, I see Virtualization is disabled by default, can you see this at Advanced >> CPU Config submenu >> Intel Virtualization Technology? If you cannot see that setting, can you see CPU Config Submenu at all?
I can make all this visible for you

Since your board does not have USB Flashback, you will have to flash via FPT. This requires you dumping BIOS with FPT, send to me, I mod and send back, then you flash it back with FPT.
But, before you can flash back mod BIOS, and before you dump it, you first need to disable BIOS and SMI Lock via grub w/ setup_var
Here is guide I made for this, you can start at step #6 I will give you the info you need from 1-5
[GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 280 or 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash

Rename your .efi file to >> Shellx64.efi

SMI Lock variable to change >> 0x88
BIOS Lock variable to change >> 0x89

At grub prompt, enter the following, one line at a time, enter between each (case senstive)
setup_var 0x88 0x00
setup_var 0x89 0x00

Then reboot, and dump BIOS with FPT and send to me, here’s how

Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64
Then on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C.2” download the matching ME System Tools Package
(ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc) If you are already using 2501 BIOS, it should be ME FW 8.xx so you need V8 System Tools Package
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder.
Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin
If you do get error, show me image of the command entered and the error given
^^ This is important step, don’t forget, this confirms your grub edit worked properly ^^

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

Or here is simply registry edit that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu
Double-click to install, reboot after install may be required
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…134606820377175

Advanced >> CPU Configuration >> Intel Virtualization Technology >> Enabled

I see the following setting, is that the VT-d and should it work with this?
Advanced >> System Agent Configuration >> Memory Remap Feature >> Enabled

there are 2 other entries that direct to submenu’s on that page:
Advanced >> System Agent Configuration >> Graphics Configuration >>
Advanced >> System Agent Configuration >> NB PCIe Configuration >>

thx.

I think the issue was in the OS not using the grub command parameters since I am getting IOMMU output now so that is promising!