AHCI & RAID Option ROM Modules

@Fernando
No, sorry i only have GUID 91xx

Ok, then I will ask SoniX, because he has put the compressed GUID90 SataDriver v12.9.0.2006 into the actual UBU version.

@Fernando
Ah, but then you can uncompress it with MMTool, insert the compressd module into any BIOS, and choose extract uncompressed.

Fernando, what’s the latest on the x58 Intel AHCI users? Have you had any updated opinion on the driver/OROM they should use for best performance? What about x58 AHCI + Samsung 840 Pro 256GB with RAPID enabled – any update on best driver/OROM to use?

@ Coldblackice:

Since the Intel RAID ROM module will not be used as long as the Intel SATA Controller has been set to AHCI mode, you only should focus your interest on the AHCI driver.
Generally I recommend the "classical" Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 for X58 chipset users, but you may try the modded Intel RST(e) drivers v12.8.11.1000 as well.
The Samsung RAPID mode will give your SSD extremely good benchmark results, but the performance boost while working with the PC will be far away from these synthetic scores.

@ Fernando :

I have run the 12.9 driver from the day it was on Station Driver, and my DEV ID is 2822. I don’t know if you saw what I said about the Intel RST being 2822, and one poster said it would show as 55aa because the SataDriver 11 in our BIOS was using the 2822, which I don’t get because I figured the Dev ID is a hardware ID, and just because the BIOS has two SataDrivers in it they still should be 2822.

As for my MOD, Hanson modded my BIOS, I don’t know what he used for me, maybe he will see this and post it. I tried the one on Station, then tried one posted by lordkag, I couldn’t get them to work so when Hanson modded my BIOS for me I used it, I never tried the one you have.
I always use the regular one you post, I never use the one modded for the X79 you post, because Asrock made my BIOS support the RST. They have always worked in the past.

I don’t get the HEX of the SataDriver, I not exactly sure of which exact offset, or offsets needs to be the same for me to use a RST EFI SataDriver. I hope someday you could post an exact guide to changing a SataDriver so we could change the info to match the one already inserted in out BIOS, but the newer version.

Why do you want to modify the modules yourself? The risk to do something wrong is very high and I am offering already modded Intel RAID ROM/SataDriver modules.
If you want to try a modded SataDriver module v12.9.0.2006, please let me know what you want to get modified and I will send you a PM with the link. Then you will be able to compare the modded hex code with the original file.

Request: Please add a signature to your posts. This will make it much easier to help you.

Hello everyone
Thanks for your answer to my question.The MMtool is not work for me ,because I tried it early,that is true my BIOS is from Award BIOS.
I am a Chinese man,my English is not enough for do this work.Ago I tried to do this work (mod BIOS) by some tools like cbrom with Chinese language translation,but the modding BIOS didn’t work. I think the real reason is MINIT module was wrong and Translation tool with some bugs.
So I beg you mod the bios file F9d ,I wil try flash it.
My E-mail is [email protected] mail me.

Which message did you get while trying to flash the BIOS?

I am sorry, but I generally do not modify BIOSes upon request. I didn’t write my BIOS modding guides with the intention to do the BIOS modding work at least myself.
Maybe someone else will help you.

@odiebugs

Your RST device has a hardware ID of 2822, but it can’t have the same ID for multiple OROMs. What you see as 55AA in MMTools is just an anchor or a signature to know what module it is. If they would have the same 2822 ID, how the BIOS would know what OROM (11.x or 12.x) to use when a 2822 device gets loaded? This way, depending on how the BIOS is coded, it loads 2822 with 11.x drivers and it seeks for 2822 anchor, or it loads 2822 with 12.x drivers and it seeks the 55AA anchor. You can change the drivers to any version you like, but the BIOS will pair RSTe 2826 with a 2826 anchor and RST 2822 with a 55AA or a 2822 anchor, depending on BIOS settings. If you want to test, I can provide the SataDriver11 module updated to 12.9, but I think it will not get loaded. You can also replace in MMTool the 8086-2822 link with 12.9 OROM, but again, my guess it will not get loaded - instead, 55AA seems to be preffered for RST 2822, since it is a newer version.

For UEFI drivers it is simpler, because each module has its own GUID, so it would load Satadriver for RSTe and SataDriver12 for RST. Do you have any option in BIOS to switch between SataDriver11 and SataDriver12?

Again, do not mix IDs with GUID! You only care about IDs when you are in Legacy = CSM enabled. This way the OROM gets loaded and you have seen that the anchor 55AA has higher merit for RST, while the anchor 2826 is reserved for RSTe. In pure UEFI = CSM disabled it will load GUID 5BB2F356-114A-4105-A5B2-9A9741DCD365 (which is now SataDriver12) for RST and GUID 43A0A7B3-1E92-42EF-A46D-DDC03E52CB5C (which is now SataDriver) for RSTe.

Final thought: just because Intel released a new driver, don’t expect it to be flawless. See what other users have to say, ask Hanson for a feedback, since he has a similar board. You can replace your SataDriver12 with one of the files uploaded here, but I don’t know if your board will work with a different GUID than the original 5BB2F356-

@ lordkag :

Thanks. I just figured because you highlight the Satadriver in only replaces the one in that area, but what you said makes sense. I am not sure why we have SataDriver 11, we never use it and we can’t run it, only SataDriver 12, or CSMCORE is used, Bios or UEFI.

Yes, I begged Asrock, sent them so many emails they finally added ROM switch to BIOS last year. I have only used the DEV ID in MM tool for CSMCORE, and I just update the SataDriver 12. Every time I update a ROM/Driver, driver I run winsat diskformal, do a CMOS clear, then run AS-SSD, not in that order. I always try each RST driver, but look for the last of each series because they have the most Resolved Issues for that series.

I tried to get Asrock to make the rom switch to be able to give three options under the RAID option- RST 11, RST 12. RSTE. They wouldn’t. I wanted to test the last 11 series, TRIM, Speed on any OS we use.

Why I wanted to be able to mod one myself, so I don’t have to ask you, you have already helped me so many times, and you help so many people, I hate to ask you. You helped me all the way back the German win light forum.

I will add one.

@ Anyone.

Sorry if I didn’t read enough. Will the 13 series RST be able to work on the X79, with people who have the option of a RST in BIOS. I tried to insert it but failed, but I also failed with the 12.9, so I was wondering if it was me, but I noticed Fernando doesn’t have a 13 modded for X79 for those who use the RSTE.

@odiebugs

Maybe this image will help you understanding the difference between real ID and the linked ID. As you can see, a single OROM module can be linked to many IDs, without duplicating the module or the ID. What you see in MMTool is just a link or a shortcut to a module, which is highlighted in green. The real ID (the one embedded in hardware) is to be found somewhere in that OROM, next to the string PCIR. So when you replace a link with MMTool, you keep the link and only replace the module with one that has a similar ID next to PCIR.

For you and @hanson
I have modded your RAID drivers with all the latest version for each series. They have a name in the form of the ffs to replace and the version contained, i.e. “SataDriver12 - 11.6.ffs” will be used to replace SataDriver12 with a module containing Intel RST 11.6.x. It will still keep the name SataDriver12 after replacement, to not confuse or scare you, but if you want to also change the name to something like SataDriver116 and so on, it could be done. You will also find two “SataDriver - 3.x.ffs” modules which can be used to update the SataDriver (this is the UEFI driver for RSTe) to 3.7 or 3.8.

For the OROM you can do it yourself, by replacing 8086-2826 or 8086-55AA with the version you like.

Asr X79 Ex Sata.rar (471 KB)

@lordkag

Hey thanks a lot, I really appreciate that. By the way do you have any idea regarding the ASMedia 0.954 matter (no booting possible)?

Best wishes hanson

I think you should test with all these versions - 0.93.1, 0.95, 0.951 and 0.954. If you get a problem with only some of them, then it is Asmedia’s fault. If you get a problem with all of them, you can try your luck with Asrock support and ask them to provide a patch. As much as I would like to help, this module is a single piece and I wouldn’t know where to look for patching.

@ lordkag :

Thank you for the files. I have always just used replace in MM tool. I replaced the 12.7 series with the 13 you posted, checked with hex and it was 13, but when I flash the BIOS, it’s still 12. Should I use the " for option rom only " I never had to before, and only with CSMCORE.
This is the same thing that happened with 12.9, never had a problem until trying 12.9. Thanks for any help.

***** I took Fernando’s 13.1 and used the option rom only, under replace and used the 55aa and it worked.

@ odiebugs:

If you want to replace any (LEGACY mode) OROM module of an AMI UEFI BIOS, you have to check the "For Option Rom only" section of the MMTool GUI and to choose the correct Vendor and DeviceIDs for the OROM you want to update. There is not even the need to highlight the CSMCORE line.

@Fernando

So, for a Rampage Formula ( X48/ICH9R), i just replace the default 8086_2822 ROM with this one :

>"Universally TRIM modified" Intel RST RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527 with TRIM in RAID0 support<

without modifications ?

Using the "replace" function of MMtool, or "extract"->"insert" ?

Yes!

You can either simply use the "Replace" tab (easiest way) or - one after the other - the "Delete" and "Insert" tab.
Using the "Extract" option will not change anything within the BIOS.