AHCI & RAID Option ROM Modules

Yes!

You can either simply use the "Replace" tab (easiest way) or - one after the other - the "Delete" and "Insert" tab.
Using the "Extract" option will not change anything within the BIOS.

Thank you for your fasst reply!!!

Yes, i wanted to write delete, extract is just to copy in a binary file the rom.

Current Rom in latest bios ( 1001 ) is v7.5.0.1017 and i am using Samsung 840 Pro with "Universal 64bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 mod by Fernando" driver in Win7 x64.

Do you think that using 11.2.0.1527 rom will be great improvement in SSD performance ? Will i have to revert to msahci before flashing and re-install modded driver after flashing, or driver will not be a problem ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

The problem may be the insertion of any >100KB sized OROM into the BIOS.
If you should get the message "Not enogh space", I recommend to insert the Intel RST RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008, which is the latest of the small sized Intel RAID ROM modues (85KB).

This Intel RAID ROM matches the best the v11.2 RAID driver. The performance improvement may not be great, but noticeable.

I recommend to enter the BIOS and to choose the "DEFAULT" settings (this will change the Intel SATA mode setting as well), before you are going to flash the modded BIOS.
After having successfully flashed the modded BIOS, you should unplug the power of your system completely for a minute. Then you can power on the system, enter the BIOS, set the DEFAULT settings again, enable the "RAID" mode of the Intel SATA Controller, do your other personal BIOS settings and save them.
As last step reboot your system and hit CTRL+I. Then your existing RAID0 array should be shown again, but now controlled by the Intel RST RAID Utility v11.2.0.1527. Additionally you (hopefully) will have TRIM activity within your RAID0 array.

Thank you for your help, Fernando.

SSD is in AHCI, but if i find 2 spare drives i will also check TRIM capability in RAID for ICH9R.

@ Fernando :
Thanks again for the help, has something changed from your guide on win lite. Legacy ( BIOS ) was to do a CSMCORE, with a 2822. UEFI SataDriver was just replace SataDriver. I am running in UEFI, my SataDriver is a RSTE, my SataDriver 12 is a 12.7 OROM.
But like lordkag said, my SataDriver 11 shows 2822 and 12.7 shows a 55aa. I tired to replace the SataDriver 12, didn’t work, but it did show it worked when checking with hex. I then went to replace again, I checked the option rom only and picked 55aa, and it worked.

I thought we only checked OPTION ROM for legacy ( BIOS ) and just replace for UEFI for SataDriver. I am lost, but what I did worked.

@odiebugs

Even though everyone is telling you otherwise, you keep confusing [Legacy → CSMCORE → 8086-55AA] with [UEFI → GUID → SataDriver12]. I can understand that you don’t trust what I write, but at least you should respect Fernando and his work and read the guides he posted in this forum. It has helped a lot of us.

Please forgive me, but I have nothing else to comment on this matter. I will add the steps to do it yourself; if this doesn’t helps…

Legacy OROM:

Legacy OROM.png

UEFI Driver:

UEFI SataDriver.png

I will add one more thing:
- for Legacy -> OROM you should update with the same inner ID, the one inside the module. The link ID is just for BIOS use, to deal with all the modules. Your case: the OROM 12.7.x has 8086-2822 inner ID, but the link is 8086-55AA.
- for UEFI -> Driver you should update only with a file that has the same GUID. There is also the case of DXE Dependencies, but this is another story.

@ lordkag :
Sorry, I haven’t studied, and thanks for the pic’s. When I used replace it didn’t work, when I used the legacy rom it did. What I don’t get is, why did it work in legacy, when I am running UEFI, shouldn’t I only see the 13.1 series OROM if I was booting in legacy (BIOS ) and not in UEFI, if I am making the error of using option rom ?

I have checked system and it shows UEFI, also when I boot I see Asrock, if I was booting BIOS I would see windows load and not Asrock load. I will take a look at the original GUID in a clean BIOS file, and look at the SataDrivers posted by you and Fern and see which ones match.

P.S. Does anyone know what’s up with Station Drivers, they use to list all the RST, RSTE OROMS and all drivers. I can’t find any but one, and the one under BIOS for motherboard drivers ?

Station-Drivers was completely down some months ago and obviously all data gone lost.

@ Fern:
Thanks Fern, but they just had a listing of Intel hardware like a week agao, now the format is different and only one RST. I just hope they can post it back.

@ Lordkag :
I will need to go back an re read your postings and Ferns in mod section. Under MM tool, the GUID for SataDriver 12 starts 5BB2F356. Then looking at the actual .FFS with Hex - the top Hex line shows for my original SataDriver 12 as - 56 F3 B2 5B 4A.
Your SataDriver 12 shows as the same. Ferns SataDriver Universal shows as 55 AA EC E9 D2. I guess I don’t know if I am suppose to match the top Hex line for the SataDrivers, but like I said, Ferns worked.

Not sure how to explain this. The GUID using MM tool is not the same as looking at the actual .FFS file with Hex. I guess I only have the Hex line to compare one .FFS to another .FFS SataDriver. I don’t see how to check the GUID of a .FFS file.

Sorry, if I am not getting it, if you don’t get what I post, I understand, I will just ask someone to mod if I need it, so I don’t torture you. Thanks for all the help already.

If you take the first 4 bytes (here: 56 F3 B2 5B) of any SataDriver.ffs file and put them into the vice versa order, you get the fist block of the GUID (here: 5B B2 F3 56), which is shown by the AMI Aptio MMTool.

@ Fern :
Thanks, now I see it.

@odiebugs

I am sorry if I offend it you, but you do need to read a bit before asking some questions. It is not that I am condescendent, but it should be the unwritten rule of any learning process. I try to help as much as I can and even go overboard by providing the final mod, when Fernando started this forum as a DIY and not as a “user request”.

If you watch my posts you will see that I post and try to help to the extent of my limited knowledge. But I try to avoid the questions that have (or should have) an answer in the same forum.

As a final thought, I think you again mixed ffs with OROM. The second 55 AA EC E9 D2 you posted seems to come from a bin file, which always starts with the 55 AA signature. I could be wrong of course, but I haven’t seen any SataDriver with that GUID. I learned a lot by reading and hex comparing different modules. I also learned a lot by reading Fernando’s guides.

Again, sorry for the somewhat strong tone, but it is a lot better to try to fill only the blankets with the help of others, than to ask them at each step.

You are right. It is an Intel RAID ROM file, which is shown within the "For Option Rom only" section as being for the DeviceID 55AA.

@ Lordkag :

You don’t have to say sorry, and you have done nothing but help, I just having a hard time getting it. The 55 AA EC E9, is the top line from Hex HxD, it’s Fernando’s 13.1 SataDriver Universal, mod for TRIM. You didn’t offend me, I said sorry because I have a hard time and hate to ask so much.

Let me just post what I have tried. I used MM tool, used replace, I tried your 13.1 SataDriver 12, I also tried Fren’s SataDriver 13.1 mod TRIM. It goes in, when I check the modded BIOS file and extract the SataDriver 12 it shows 13.1. When I flash the BIOS it’s still has the 12.7.

The only way I can get the 13.1 option rom to show at boot, is to use the option rom link in MM tool. Like I said, I am in UEFI mode, I don’t get a windows post, I get a Asrock post at boot. I get a AS-SSD score of 1628 with the 12.7 option rom. I get a 1642 score with the 13.1 option rom.

I get that the option rom link in MM tool is legacy, but I am in UEFI booting, and I do have the 13.1 option rom showing, so I have no clue why it’s working and why just replacing the SataDriver didn’t.

Again, thanks to all, I appreciate the help, will try and spend time tonight reading over the forum.

system info.jpg

When you have an option rom showing during booting you’re not on UEFI. On pure UEFI you should have the RAID menue inside the BIOS just below your USB and Intel ME in the advanced chapter. There should be an entry like Intel 12.7.xx Sata Driver, when you enter there you’ll see your array. For that you have to disable CSM.

Edit
I can see “BIOS mode = UEFI” in the picture you uploaded but that means only that your BIOS is of UEFI type and not that you boot in pure UEFI mode

@ hanson :
Lost me. On the advanced tab, I have folders, CPU, North, South, Storage, USB, ME, under folders, is instant flash. In side the storage is RAID settings, I don’t see anything with any sata version. I don’t suppose you have a pic or one from your manual that shows what your saying ?

I see you looked at the pic, but I don’t see in my BIOS the 12 or 13 SataDriver, all I know is I booted from USB flash in UEFI, installed win 8.1, I know that if I boot BIOS I see windows loading, in UEFI I see Asrock loading. How can I see if I am in pure UEFI ?

***** In BIOS Under BOOT tab, there is ADDon ROM Display which is on, I can disable it and the rom won’t post.

You have to set your booting to standart first (no fast or ultra fast booting). Then you have to enter the ACPI menue inside advanced options. There you set CSM to disabled. Then you reboot and enter the BIOS. Now you should see the Sata Driver entry and - if you like - you can set booting to "ultra fast". Also you should activate secure boot. By the way, do you have a discrete graphics card of the GTX 700 series? If not this function (UEFI mode) will not be supported by the card. With a GTX 600 you could be lucky and ask EVGA for example for a UEFI BIOS for your card, this is absolutely needed.

Regards hanson

IMG_0215[1].JPG

IMG_0216[1].JPG

That is not true.
Here is the start code of my "Universally TRIM modded" SataDriver module v13.1:

And here is the picture of my "Universally TRIM modded" Intel RAID ROM module v13.1:

@ hanson :
Thanks, I can’t run in pure UEFI, can’t disable CSM as my GTX 670 won’t let me, so stuck with half UEFI.

@ Fern :
I must have hit the wrong file after ONEDRIVE opened, I see now the 90 starts with 94, and the 91 starts C1.

@odiebugs

First use Hanson’s advice and test with CSM = Disabled. This way you will boot in UEFI mode. Secondly, you can work with Hanson even further, since he has a very similar board. From your screen, BIOS mode = UEFI means that you installed Windows in UEFI mode, not necessarily that you are still running in UEFI.

The line 55 AA EC E9 does indeed come from a RAID OROM and not from a SataDriver. A small hint: usually OROMs are xyz.bin and UEFI drivers are xyz.ffs.

The GUID, ID and others things are stored in little indian, which means hex reversed. You have to watch though, that only the first 3 pairs from GUID are reversed, the last 2 are in visual order. Also know that those numbers are actually hex numbers and every two make a byte.

GUID.png

When modding your BIOS, always have this in mind:
- Legacy uses CSMCORE + CSM Enabled + Link Present + ID like 8086-55AA + bin file for modding + signature of 55 AA when opening the bin file in hex.
- UEFI uses standalone drivers + CSM Disabled + GUID and name like SataDriver12 + ffs file for modding + GUID in little indian when opening the ffs in hex.

@ Lordkag :
Thanks, I have to flash a clean BIOS, I was able to boot in fast mode, and in fast mode CSM option is missing, but when running windows in fast boot, I was getting problems, so maybe it was of the way I modded my BIOS.

Maybe the entire time I figured I was using the SataDriver I wasn’t. I bet there is no easy way to see if the SataDriver is being used just as EFI boot. I wonder if my CSMCORE legacy was replaced with 11 series and the SataDriver was 13, if I open the Intel rom to make a array and it was 13, would this prove it was using the SataDriver ?

@ Fern: Sorry, for asking for help in this area.

************** What a goof, here the whole time I thought I was using SataDriver, I have been using legacy, it’s why when I only mod SataDriver to 13.1 series I still see 12, and when I hit rom link it worked.

&&&&&&& Thanks Lordkag, for the CSM, legacy info. I can’t boot pure UEFI or use SataDriver, this whole time I have been booting legacy orom, but because I was booting with Asrock and system info showing UEFI, I though it was the SataDriver. Until I get a card that will allow pure UEFI, I am stuck using a RAID OROM replacement.

Sorry to all who I wasted your time, now I know highlighting in MM tool is not the key, it’s using legacy or not.