AHCI & RAID Option ROM Modules

@ Ethos Evoss:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Please post the manufacturer/model of your ultrabook and the link to the latest BIOS.
Then we will try to help you.

Regards
Fernando

Laptop is Acer Aspire V7 582PG
and the BIOS is here http://www.sendspace.com/file/np2iht
Insyde H2O

modded BIOS (unhided advanced menu)

older version but original state

What is the sense of creating a RAID0 array with a notebook?

Since the OS obviously has been installed in UEFI mode, you cannot join the Intel RAID Utility by hitting CTRL+I. You have to look within the BIOS for a separate section named "Intel(R) Rapid Storage".

Where do you want to install the OS?

No, because the BIOS of your notebook doesnā€™t contain any Intel RAID ROM module.
Furthermore your notebook has an Intel 8-Series chipset, which doesnā€™t need any TRIM in RAID0 modified OROM or SataDriver module.

@ Hanson, lorddkag, Fernnando :
Just wanted to say thanks. I finally just got my GOP support BIOS for my GTX 670, only gave me file, no info, so I had to get nvflash and flash the card.
Now I happen to have only modded the SataDriver the last time I flashed the MOBO BIOS. Now that I am in full UEFI, I see what you guyā€™s where talking about on advanced tab, under Instant flash I now have a folder ( Rapid Storage Tech ) and it has the 13 series SataDriver running, the one I replaced from the 12. seriesā€¦ All those times thinking I was using the SataDriver when I was using the ROM. Now I am actually using the SataDriver.
Whoo Hoo, LOL Thanks again guys.

Q:What is the sense of creating a RAID0 array with a notebook?
A:Well this ultrabook ; http://www.thessdreview.com/hardware/notā€¦-form-factor/4/
is setup in RAID 0 and has nearly 1GB-s speed wanted reach that

Q:Where do you want to install the OS?
A:Once I will create RAID 0 Array I will install OS on it

And Iā€™ve got RAID option

here is Intel options

The Acer Aspire S7 natively does support RAID0, but you have an Aspire V7, which obviously supports just the Intel(R) RapidStart Technology and no RAID0.

Yes, the RapidStart feature requires the RAID option, but I donā€™t see any option to create a RAID0 array.

If you want a better performant system, you should disable the RapidStart option, set the Intel SATA Controller to "AHCI" and install the OS onto the 256GB SSD.

OK thnx
I am actually running AHCI . I wanted only show you that RAID option is there so looks like it is for cache only ā€¦
I am gonna disable that intel rapid start ā€¦
It is bit shame ā€¦ I canā€™t have RAID 0 ā€¦
One more thing ; what is your opinion about this product; http://www.bplustech.com/Adapter/SSDMR.html
I am considering to buy it
Please tell me if itā€™s worth buying one
Thnx

To be honest I would never create a RAID0 array with a mobile system.

Since I donā€™t have any own experience with such SSDMR adapter, I cannot give you any advice.

There are several MOBOā€™s that have a chipsets that can run RAID, but the MFG didnā€™t incorporate it, mostly older boards.

Programs, booting are not faster with RAID, actually a single SSD is better, RAID comes in when you are moving massive files, or itā€™s original intended purpose, data redundancy.

Programs and booting are more dependent on access time.

@Ethos_Evoss

It would have been better if you posted your chipset version (like HM8x) and then you could have searched the specs in Intelā€™s database and see if it is RAID capable or not. 99% it wonā€™t.

What you can update is:
- Realtek PXE = 2.55a to 2.59 RPL
- Realtek EFI = 2.021 to 2.026
- RAID ROM = 12.5.0.1815 to 12.7/12.9/13.0/13.1 (only if your board supports RAID)
- Intel VBIOS = 2171 to 2180
- Intel GOP = 5.0.1028 to 5.0.1037

This is based on the latest 2.26 BIOS from Acer. You already have the latest Haswell microcode and some others that appear to be for Broadwell.

there is no HM PM QM etc anymore ā€¦
chipset is called Motherboard Chipset Intel Lynx Point-LP, Intel Haswell ID9C43 model Dazzle

Probably it doesnt support ā€¦ here is chipset from HW info software

And here pick chipset wich prob. match mine laptop

Your second picture and also Intelā€™s site contradict your first statement. Lynx Point is the codename for 8 series and the other one is probably the codename for SB. Since the hardware is new, it will take a while for softwares to fully acknowledge this. You should use latest beta versions of CPU-Z, AIDA64 or HWiNFO and check the short name of your chipset. HM86 = NO RAID, HM87/QM87 = RAID.

Recommendation: update to BIOS 2.26

all your recommended soft i already had checked there is no HM QM etc ā€¦

update bios to 2.26 ? ?? do u have link ?

Fernando,

I am having an issue that I hope you, or someone else on the forum, can help me solve.

I have 13.1.0.2030 RAIDROM (modded, of course) installed on my eVGA X58 motherboard.

TRIM has always, until recently, worked.

Now, in order to get TRIM working, as verified by trimcheck.exe, I must reflash the BIOS.

After shutting the PC down, TRIM no longer works until I flash the BIOS again.

I thought it might be the CMOS battery, but it appears to have good voltage, and all other BIOS settings are correct.

What do you suggest?

Anyone?

@ Arctucas:

Why do you think, thart you have to (re)flash the BIOS? How did you check the TRIM activity?
By the way: It is not a good idea to put any Intel RAID ROM v13 into the BIOS of an X58 mainboard. You should better use the Intel RST RAID driver/OROM combination v11.2.0.1006/11.2.0.1527.

all your recommended soft i already had checked there is no HM QM etc ā€¦

update bios to 2.26 ? ?? do u have link ?

Without knowing if it is compatible to your specific model, i found this one :

Bios v2.26 - ACER Singapore

Dated 3rd April 2014 , the info is below :

Please crosscheck first using your serial number and model.

Since there is not much love for AMD users, here are some modules:

- AMD GOP 1.54.0.0.0 = GUID 48DCABDF-CE6D-465C-B832-FD1BD169F3EA
- AMD RAID EFI 1.0.0.49 = GUID C468B382-4550-4909-AD57-2496141B3F4A
- AMD RAID Utility EFI 1.0.0.49 = GUID 0916E322-3740-31CE-AD62-BD172CECCA36
- AMD RAIDXpert2-F10 6.1.1-00076 for FM2+ = GUID 50965C18-2F65-41A9-9961-BA889EA978D9
- AMD RAIDXpert2-F50 6.1.1-00076 for FM2+ = GUID 5CF6CEDE-0DED-4013-9196-F429DE361937
- 1002-1304 AMD Kaveri VBIOS 015.041.000.001.000000 = GUID 74FFE0DE-DCEC-49BF-910D-1B476A851EAF
- 1002-9901 AMD Trinity VBIOS 015.031.000.000.000000 = GUID 84FFE0DE-DCEC-49BF-910D-1B476A851EAF (also for Kabini)

I know I have newer modules than some of above, but I havenā€™t yet extracted them.

AMD stuff.rar (400 KB)

I am using trimcheck.exe to test TRIM.

I can run trimcheck several times after re-booting, and it always says ā€˜TRIM appears to be NOT WORKINGā€™.

However, if I reflash the BIOS, it works on the first subsequent run of trimcheck.

On your advice, I will try one of the 11.x modded BIOS.

Thanks

There is no need to run the TrimCheck tool several times. TRIM is either active within the related drive resp. RAID0 array or not.
That means, that it is enough to run the TrimCheck tool once. If you get the message "TRIM appearsto be WORKING", it is confirmed, that the TRIM command passes through the SATA Controller into the related drive or RAID0 array. This result is valid forever (except you change the driver or the SATA configuration) and not just for the moment.
Remember: The TrimCheck tool is not able to detect very low TRIM activities.

You can do that, but you should not expect other TRIM test results.

11.6.0.1702 appears to work every time, reboot or no reboot.

Thanks for the advice.