AHCI & RAID Option ROM Modules

@ oxygen15:
Thanks for answering my questions.
Until now I don’t have any idea regarding the reason of your problems. Nevertheless you should test both possible AHCI drivers (generic Win7 AHCI driver and AMD AHCI driver) and then decide, which one gives you more stability.

Since you are running your AMD SATA ports in AHCI mode, an update of the AMD RAID OROM (DEV_4394) is not necessary at all.

Update went fine, all is working without any issues (at least on the first sight). Will give my response if the issue described above will appear again!

I have P8Z77-V Pro with BIOS 2104 - does it have the latest Intel AHCI ROM 1.20E? How can I check if it does or doesn’t?

The Intel SATA AHCI Controllers of actual Intel chipset mainboards (from 5-Series up) do not have and do not need an Intel AHCI ROM module within the BIOS. So you will not find it.

Was wondering what is the best Intel Raid Rom and driver version pairing for optimum performance and trim? Can not find the page with Fernandos recommendations. Thank you.

My recommendations regarding the "best" Intel AHCI/RAID drivers and the matching Intel RAID ROM/EFI modules (only important for RAID users) are layed down >here<.

Just a quick notice - my problem is still present (and updating AMD AHCI ROM did not solved it).
Thanks for all the guides, ROMs and other files available here! :slight_smile:

Posting a positive rom upgrade result:

Asus M4A785D upgraded with
>AMD RAID ROM v3.3.1540.19 for DEV_4392< (>MIRROR<)
>AMD RAID MISC.BIN v3.3.1540.19 for DEV_4392 non-UEFI BIOS< (>MIRROR<)
Since I am only using AHCI I only can verify correct function in AHCI mode (mobo has no seperate AHCI rom).
Also a nice HDD speedup is noticed.

I need some help with my BIOS mod I have done. The change to the latest AHCI.bin went ok and then I extracted the
RADI850.bin but I could not figure out if I needed the misc.bin as well? It is a Gigabyte M/B GA890X-UD3
I can find no "hole" mentioned in the BIOS extended info. This is what I have done so far, any help would
be very much appreciated. :slight_smile:

BIOS.jpg

Why do you want to update the AMD RAID ROM? Your system will not use it as long as you are running it in AHCI mode, that means the AMD SATA Controller has the DeviceID DEV_4391.

Firstly, I am impressed with the level of knowledge and expertise shown on this forum. I am new here.
I want to know whether it is recommended to update the BIOS and firmware of my Marvell 9120 SATA3 controller.
I already updated the SATA3 driver in the Device manager to 1.2.0.1041 from 1.0.0.1047 (download from station-drivers.com)

Mainboard: ASROCK P67 Extreme4 Gen3
Controller: Marvell 88SE9120
Controller BIOS: 1.0.0.1027
OS Hard Drive: Crucial MX100 256GB SSD

Is there much performance benefit to updating? I would like to see good performance out of the new SSD. Some people have stated that controller updates are risky and aren’t worth it. I was just hoping to hear some opinions regarding this update.
Thanks, cheers.

@ winraidnoob:

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your positive feedback!

I hope, that you will get an answer by someone, who has more experience with the optimization of Marvell SATA3 Controllers than me.

Regards
Fernando

hello Frenando i was wondering how i could tell if my AHCI on my GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R VER 1.0/1.1 BIOS VERSION "F12R BETA" HAD THE LASTEST INTEL AHCI OROM AS IT LOOKS THE OROM I DOWNLOAD LOOKS NEWER AND I CHECKED THE GIGABYTE BIOS page for listing of all of the BIOSes did not see a updated AHCI LISTING

@ reapert:

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

The only way to check the Intel AHCI ROM version, which is within a mainboard BIOS, is to extract it and to look for the version by using an hex editor.
Unfortunately I couldn’t do it for you, because Gigabyte doesn’t list the BIOS "F12R Beta" on their GA-EX58-UD3R support page (>LINK<).

Regards
Fernando

sorry i found this bios file on tweaktown in their forum. http://www.filedropper.com/ex58ud3r_1 . i had someone mod it with a SLIC update for windows 7.

@ reapert:
Thanks for the link to the BIOS.
After having downloaded the BIOS file, opened it with CBROM, extracted the Intel AHCI and RAID OROM modules and opened them with an hex editor, I can confirm, that the BIOS contains
1. the latest Intel AHCI ROM module v1.20E and
2. the Intel MSM RAID ROM v8.9.1.1002.

is the ACHI the newest version or do i have to update it?

As I have written: It is the latest (= newest) Intel AHCI ROM version. So you cannot update it.

I Guess I didn’t read the guide properly. I take it that the Misc.bin is not needed? BTW, I am going to be using this machine with a raid 0 soon.

The MISC.bin is associated with the AMD RAID ROM module and only needed for AMD RAID systems.

Ok, then the situation is different and you may benefit from an update of the AMD RAID ROM and its MISC.bin module.