AHCI & RAID Option ROM Modules

There are at least 2 different Intel RAID modules within your mainboard BIOS:
1. the Intel RAID ROM module (the related RAID Utility can be run by hitting CTRL+I while booting), which will be used, if you are running your system in "LEGACY" mode, and
2. the Intel EFI RaidDriver module (the related "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" Utility can be joined from within the UEFI BIOS), if you are running your system in UEFI mode.
So if you have updated just the Intel RAID ROM module, the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" Utility will not be updated. and shows the previously used version.

It can be updated, but I do not recommend to do it. Your Z97 RAID system will run better with an Intel RAID driver/OROM combo v13.x.x.xxxx.

There are at least 2 different Intel RAID modules within your mainboard BIOS:
1. the Intel RAID ROM module (the related RAID Utility can be run by hitting CTRL+I while booting), which will be used, if you are running your system in "LEGACY" mode, and
2. the Intel EFI RaidDriver module (the related "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" Utility can be joined from within the UEFI BIOS), if you are running your system in UEFI mode.
So if you have updated just the Intel RAID ROM module, the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" Utility will not be updated. and shows the previously used version.

It can be updated, but I do not recommend to do it. Your Z97 RAID system will run better with an Intel RAID driver/OROM combo v13.x.x.xxxx.

Thanx Iā€™ll keep it on Ver13 then. Just for interest I use UEFI and have 3x Samsung EVO 840 SSD in RAID0. I enter my raid setup via the bios not CTRL+I. What part in the bin file must be replaced to update the EFI RaidDriver module? I like to play around and let you know what combo works the fastest on my mobo. Edit: Iā€™ve just checked in legacy mode (Ctrl+i) and to orom does show V14.

If you are booting your OS in UEFI mode, the Intel RAID ROM module (it is a .bin file) will not be used at all. If you want to update the in-use Intel EFI RAID module, you have to replace the BIOS module named "RaidDriver" (sometimes named "SataDriver"). It is not an Option ROM module and not within the module named CSMCORE.

If you are booting your OS in UEFI mode, the Intel RAID ROM module (it is a .bin file) will not be used at all. If you want to update the in-use Intel EFI RAID module, you have to replace the BIOS module named "RaidDriver" (sometimes named "SataDriver"). It is not an Option ROM module and not within the module named CSMCORE.

So no way to update the UEFI raid part in BIOS? Thanx anyway for all the work.

It is very easy to update the Intel EFI RAID module by using the UBU tool or by doing it manually with the AMI Aptio UEFI MMTool, but you obviously havenā€™t done it.

It is very easy to update the Intel EFI RAID module by using the UBU tool or by doing it manually with the AMI Aptio UEFI MMTool, but you obviously havenā€™t done it.

Will try now that you said it can be done. Do I use the same bin file?

No, the required file is named SataDriver.ffs or RaidDriver.ffs. Since the mainboard manufacturers insert these EFI RAID modules with different GUID header, you have to look for the SataDriver.ffs file with the correct GUID header. You can find the Intel EFI RAID modules within the first post of >this< thread.
If you let UBU do the work, the correct GUID type will be inserted automaticly, but if you want to do it manually, you should check the first bytes of the "SataDriver" resp. "RaidDriver" module, which is within the original mainboard BIOS by extracting the uncompressed file and opening with an Hex Editor.

Will try now that you said it can be done. Do I use the same bin file?

It works!! Thanx for the help. Will run some benchmarks and post results.

Just wanted to note that the Intel RST 14.0.0.xxxx firmware caused a weird warning in the RST 14.0.0.1095 application that my drives may be at risk but after updating the Intel firmware to the 14.5s the message went away. Anyone else notice that?

Thanks

@ davidm71:
Thanks for your interesting report.
Questions: Which Intel Chipset and which sort of RAID array has your system (the creation of a signature would be fine)?

Did you try the Intel RST Drivers & Software Set v14.0.0.1143 as well? If yes, did you get a similar message?

Did you try the Intel RST Drivers & Software Set v14.0.0.1143 as well? If yes, did you get a similar message?

This was on a Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H with a two drive raid 0 array. It happened a couple months ago but I didnt bother to fix it til now. I didnt try updating the rst software as upgrading the firmware fixed the issue. But I can tell you that the error message went away when i switched my dual bios switch to the default factory bios. So I knew the 14.0 roms (efi mode) were to blame. Its also more complicated in that my bios is an Ozmosis hackintosh. But i thought i read the 14.0s had some compatibility issues with older chipsets?

thanks.

Fernando,

I have been a fan for quite awhile now and besides asking your adviceā€¦I wanted to say THANKS for taking the time to keep us informed! It is greatly appreciated!

I have been building my own PCā€™s for years now but I just recently started modding my BIOSā€™s. It has always been frustrating to me how you shell out
$400 for a MOBO and after 6 months they quit updating the support files for it. I have tested a few modded BIOSā€™s that I injected updated ROM & EFI
modules in and have been attempting to match up the best performing ROM/EFI & Driver combo. At, this point, I need some guidance.

I have a ASUS Rampage V Extreme (details below) that I have been experimenting with. The combo I am currently testing is Intel RST(e) OROM/EFI SATA
v14.5.0.2241 and I somehow ended up with the RSTe 4.3.0.1198 drivers mixed in there. I would like to blame Windows 10 when I did a fresh install but, who knows.
I am going to re-wipe it and go with whatever is determined to be the best for my setup.

Although, I am currently not using a RAID array, I probably will design one down the road.

Here is my current hardware configuration and below that, is what I have narrowed down a few possibilities to. Let me know what you think and no worriesā€¦
I take constructive criticism well if missed a step some whereā€¦lol.

HARDWARE
OS to be installed: ---------------- Windows 10 Pro x64
Case: ------------------------------ Lian Li PC-P80N Armorsuit
Motherboard: --------------------- ASUS Rampage V Extreme
Motherboard Chipset: ------------ Intel X99 (Wellsburg-X)
CPU: ------------------------------- Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA 2011-v3
CPU Cooler: ----------------------- NZXT Kraken X61 280mm All-in-One CPU Liquid Cooling System
Memory: --------------------------- Kingston HyperX Predator 32GB (8 x 4GB) DDR4 3000MHz
Intel MEI Firmware: -------------- 9.1, Build 1005, Hot Fix 10
Graphics: -------------------------- EVGA GeForce GTX 980 FTW ACX 2.0
Display: ---------------------------- LG 34in. UltraWide IPS Monitor
Soundcard: ------------------------ Creative - Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series
Speakers: ------------------------- Bose Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System
Network (Wireless): -------------- ASUS PCE-AC68 Wireless Network Adapter
Network (Wired): ----------------- Intel I218-V Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter
PSU: ------------------------------- Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050W

HDDā€™s
Drives (OS:Windows 10): ------- 240GB OCZ Vector 150 SSD
Drives (Non-RAID): -------------- 16TB (4) HGST 4TB Deskstar 7K4000
Drives (Non-RAID): --------------- 3TB Toshiba

Current Messed up Setup (Windows 10 Pro)

HardwareID_______________Device_________________________________________Driver
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8D02 ------- Intel C600+/C220+ series chipset SATA AHCI Controller ------ 4.3.0.1198
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8D62 ------- Intel C600+/C220+ series chipset sSATA AHCI Controller ----- 4.3.0.1198
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8D3A ------- Intel Management Engine Interface -----------------------------11.0.0.1160
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8D47 ------- Intel C610 series/X99 chipset LPC Controller ---------------------- 10.1.2.9
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8D22 ------- Intel C610 series/X99 chipset SMBus Controller ------------------- 10.1.2.9
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_0612 ------- Asmedia 106x SATA Controller --------------------------------------- 3.1.6.0

BIOS/Driver Combo Options___BIOS Module Firmware_________________AHCI/RAID Drivers
Stock BIOS Update v1601: --------- Intel RST(e) OROM/EFI SATA v13.1.0.2126 ----- Intel RST(e) 13.1.0.1058
Modded BIOS v1601 Option 1 ----- Intel RSTe - OROM/EFI SATA v4.3.0.1018 ------- Intel RSTe 4.3.0.1198
Modded BIOS v1601 Option 2 ----- Intel RST(e) OROM/EFI SATA v14.5.0.2241 ----- Intel RST(e) 14.6.0.1029

Let me know what you think! I have modded all of these options so far but have only attempted to load one and it went fineā€¦

Thanks,

Erich

@ ESausman:

Hello Erich,
welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

You are welcome!

Since I never had a system with an Intel "Enterprise Edition Chipset" like yours, you should better ask an experienced owner of an Intel X99 chipset system resp. wait until such person gives you an answer.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi All,

Does anybody know where I can get the modified Intel RST OROM v. 13.1.0.2030 for X79 ?

According to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Matrix_RAID it seems that that version can be injected into that chipset with modification.
However, I canā€™t see that OROM version for X79 in UBU 1.32.1 nor at the following page AHCI & RAID ROM Modules

I am looking for the latest availabe and stable (if any) OROM version 13.x with X79 support for both ACHI & RAID modes, and even a guide about how to modify and inject the OROM would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Why do you want this ROM module? The latest Intel RAID ROM from the Intel RST v13.1 branch is v13.1.0.2126.

You can use any original Intel RAID ROM v12.x.x.xxxx or v13.x.x.xxxx with your X79 Chipset RAID system, if you have set the BIOS to "RST" mode (the Intel RAID Controller DeviceID will be switched to DEV_2822). If the BIOS of your X79 mainboard doesnā€™t offer this option, you should ask your mainboard manufacturer for a BIOS with RST RAID option.
Another possibility is to insert a modded Intel RAID ROM v13.1.0.2126, which has been customized to make it usable with the Intel C600 Chipset Series SATA RAID Controller DEV_2826.

The Intel RAID ROM module will never be loaded and used while running the Intel SATA Controller in AHCI mode.

Look >here<.

Thanks Fernando, thatā€™s very clear.

I will perform a some tests to see which 13.x.x.xxxx version is the best solution for both available features (TRIM support) and performaces and will post results here as reference.

@Fernando are you able to send me links on what is required to universally TRIM modify a rom?

Iā€™m interested in learning the steps involved, i have had a look at the AnandTech forum and the information seems to be all over the place.

Also, would you have a universally TRIM modified version of Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v14.5.0.2241
I know it doesnā€™t work with older chipsets, just for curiosity/developmental reasons.

You need nothing more than an Hex Editor like HxD.
These are the steps:
1. Open the original Intel RAID ROM module and search for the specific byte, which has to be altered (you can find it by comparing any already modded ROM with the original one).
2. Modify the code of the specific byte.
3. Correct the checksum at 0x17.

I will attache it.

8086-2822_v14502241_TRIM-mod.rar (62.9 KB)

Thank you for the information!

Intel Raid Rom (Orom/SataDriver) Version 14.6.0.2285 now out.
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.phpā€¦ileinfo&id=1724

I hope to see the Orom BIOS Module and Intel EFI SataDriver on share here soon, especially a EFI SataDriver (without header) that will work with the X99 chipset.