AHCI & RAID Option ROM Modules

Yesss i saw this and saying trimm when i optimise but wasnt sure, thx for the tip!

Hi everybody,
I’m new in this forum and first of all big “thank you” to Fernando for his work! I have an AsRock Extreme6 motherboard with X79 chipset. Within the BIOS I can choose between Intel rst and rst e option that means I have the device 2822 and 2826. I flashed 12.7.0.1936 to the 2822 and 3.7.0.1049 to the 2826 yesterday. When I choose the rst option in BIOS now I don’t have the STRG-I screen for RAID set up anymore. I want to install my os in uefi mode so do I have to update the “sata driver” module as well? If yes how to replace the both (driver for 2822 and driver for 2826)?
For using TRIM is it best to activate rst or rst e in BIOS?
Thanks in advance,
hanson

@ hanson:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Are you able to join the Intel RAID ROM Utility by hitting STRG+I while booting? If yes, which Intel RAID ROM version do you see?

Yes, if you want to use another EFI SataDriver version than the original one ASRock had put into the BIOS of your mainboard. After having set the BIOS to "EFI Mode booting" none of the Intel RAID ROM modules, which are within the BIOS, will be used anymore by the system.

Do you have 2 (different) SataDriver modules within the BIOS of your mainboard? If yes, please check the versions of them (extract them in uncompressed form, open it with a hex editor and search for the text string "sata", then you should see the version on the right side).

AFAIK TRIM in RAID0 will only work, if you use "RST" instead of "RSTe".

Regards
Fernando

Hi, no I can’t enter RAID ROM Utility. I think it’s because of the device ID. Now i flashed the ROM module for Z68 and then it works. but the Controller is listed now as ICH8/9/19R in the device manager. So I think it’s the best way to leave device 2822 as it is originally and Ffash the x79-modified 12.7.0.1936 module for device 2826. But in that case I have to Change the sata Driver I think because I found this string in my BIOS: “Intel RSTe 3.5.0.1005 SATA Driver
Copyright(C) 2003-12 Intel Corporation”.
And then choose rst e in BIOS which will in fact activate the modified orom, am i right so far?
regards hanson

This especially for Z68 systems modded ROM module has not been designed for your X79 board. Which ROM version did you insert before?

That is very strange. Which SATA mode (AHCI or RAID) and which Intel RST/RSTe driver version are you using?

Not really, because none of the RAID ROM modules of your BIOS will be active, if you will install the OS in UEFI mode.
Please answer to the questions of my last post.

Hi again,

1. accessing raid config was not possible but I took the wrong orom mudule
2. only one Driver (3.5.0.1005) irst e I think. but also something called satadriver11
now I’m fine I flashed modded module 12.7.0.1936 for device 2826 and it works, also I replaced the sata Driver with the modded version. Module 2822 I left 11.x (don’t know exact Version). But I don’t understand “EFI booting mode”. There is nothing like that in my BIOS. I choose booting in UEFI mode from DVD through bootmanager before installing the os. Now I made a clean install with RAID 0 and no Problems. during win 7 Setup I inserted the modded Drivers you provided and after install the correct Version was displayed in the device Manager. But installing the same Driver after the upgrade to win 8 failed even I disabled whql force (unfortunately i only have a upgrade license) now the actual installed Driver is 8.6.2.1022 and I#m not able to update it unfortunately

Thanks for answering my questions. Obviously you succeeded at least with your BIOS modding actions.

Which "modded" SataDriver version do you mean? I do not offer any modified SataDriver module except the one for Z68 systems to get TRIM in RAID support.

This is the one you should have updated, because it will be used, if you have installed the OS in EFI mode and chosen the BIOS settings for the use of the RST drivers v11/12 instead of the RSTe drivers v3.

You will find the CSM (=UEFI boot) settings within the "BOOT" section of your BIOS.

Windows 8 doesn’t allow to install any unsigned or modified driver unless the user has disabled the driver signature checking before trying to install such driver. For details you may look into >this< tutorial.
By the way: It would have been better (cleaner), if you would have installed Windows 8 from scratch, that means without previously installing Windows 7. If you do a Google seach, you will find a very easy method how to do it. It is just a simple Registry entry change, which will let you activate your Win8 copy by using your upgrade key.

1. yes you’re right, it’s the Driver for z68
    2. when I update module 2822, which file should I use? I tried with the one that is made for x79 but because it’s for device 2826 I don’t see the raid config tool after flashing when choosing rst in bios (which I have to choose to use the device 2822 instead of 2826 rst e)
    3. my sata Driver in-bios is 3.5.0.1005, that belongs to rst e and is active after uefi booting? but then i can’t use rst Setting for uefi booting right?
    thanks hanson

ah I forgot: for the Driver Installation under win 8 i did the reboot with shift, choosing f7 for unsigned Drivers to be accepted and so on. but anyway i can’t updat the Driver in the device manager

thanks for the “clean install tip” that works great and is much faster :wink:

Ok, although you should have inserted the original SataDriver.ffs file instead of the Z68 modded one, but this error is not problematic, because the modifications I have done with the file only will affect Z68 destops and 7-Series mobile RAID0 systems.

If you want to update the DEV_2822 SataDriver module, you should take >this< file (after having unzipped it).

Yes, that is right. Furthermore you will not get TRIM activity within your X79 RAIDo.

That is strange. I was able to install modified drivers according >this< guide without any problem.
Maybe you will find a solution after having read the start post of >this< thread.

Good luck!

thanks for your reply,

but there was a misunderstanding. I was looking for a orom module for device 2822 on x79 chipset, not the sata Driver itself. because i have to orom modules in my bios. 2826 and 2822 between which i can choose by selecting rst or rste in bios. updating device 2826 and the sata Driver for that is ok, but i don’t find a file that is for device 2822 on x79. only for p67 and z68

@ hanson:
If you want to update the DEV_2822 Intel RAID ROM version, you can simply use the original (untouched) Intel RAID ROM file you can get from >here<, but I repeat, what I have already written: This RAID ROM will not be used by your Intel SATA RAID Controller, if you install Win7 or Win8 in EFI mode.

Ok thank you for the link and your Patience. S I will just update my oroms to newest Versions incl the sata raid Driver for rste and wait for updates that make trim possible for x79 chipsets like mine.
regards hanson

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise RAID ROM v3.8.0.1009

http://www.mediafire.com/download/cf41np…v3.8.0.1009.zip

No new SataDriver yet.

@ Pacman:
Thanks for the link to the new Intel RSTe RAID ROM v3.8.0.1009.

@ all:
Meanwhile I have reuploaded and added the new Intel RAID ROM into the start post.

Fernando,

Thank you VERY MUCH for this insanely helpful and informative post. You are a very generous person, and your work is much appreciated.

I run Windows 7 and have a single OCZ Vertex 2 SSD that supports TRIM. I have an old P35 chipset with ICH9R southbridge. Sadly, the newest RAID ROM my board is capable of running is Intel MSM RAID ROM v8.5.0.1030, which I am currently using. After some trial & error and some research, this seems to be because the original file size of the RAID ROM prior to integrating it into my system BIOS cannot exceed 64KB or my board can’t read it.

1. Will TRIM function properly with the MSM RAID ROM on my single SSD, and if so does it depend on the software/drivers I use?

2. Should I use MSM or RST drivers, and which version (keeping TRIM in mind)?

@ alanyurk:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Which way did you test it? I ask this, because the space problem can sometimes be solved by removing all PCI ROM modules and then reinserting them all (don’t forget to extract all PCI ROM modules, before you are going to remove them).

TRIM will definitively work in AHCI mode, if you are using the generic MS AHCI driver instead of an Intel one. All Intel RST drivers from v9.6.0.1014 up do support TRIM, but I am not sure, if this is valid even for systems, where the Intel SATA Controller is managed by an old Intel MSM module.
You can easily verify the TRIM support of your system by doing a simple test. For details look into [utl=http://www.win-raid.com/t24f28-Easy-TRIM-test-methods.html]>this<[/url] thread.

If you want to use an Intel AHCI driver instead of the generic MS one, I recommend to install the RST driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL.

Regards
Fernando

I started by upgrading from MSM RAID ROM v7.5.0.1017 to v8.5.0.1030. It worked.

Then I installed RST RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527. It installed properly, but when I tried to boot, I got the error message, “Internal error - PnP and PCI compliant BIOS not present”.

I got the same error for RST v9.5.0.1037, MSM v8.9.0.1023, and MSM v8.8.0.1091. So I went back to MSM v8.5.0.1030 and I’m up and running again.

1. Do you think removing and reinserting all 3 PCI ROM modules could solve this problem and allow me to use RST v11.2.0.1006? Or would you agree that the 64KB limit is likely the problem?

2. Is it possible for you to mod RST RAID ROM v11.2.0.1006, stripping it down to 64KB, perhaps allowing my chipset to be able to run it?

I have never heard about a 64KB limit regarding the Intel RAID ROM modules, but I know, that there are some BIOSes, where it is impossible to get any RAID ROM inserted, which is bigger than 100KB. Intel RST RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008 is the last one with less than 100 KB uncompressed size.
This is what I would try: Remove all 3 PCI ROM modules and then insert the Intel RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008 and the other 2 modules. I am rather optimistic, that it will work.

No, that will not work at all.

Well, I tried the removal and insertion of all 3 PCI ROMs, upgrading to v10.1.0.1008. No good! This stinkin’ board just won’t let it work.

Being stuck with MS v8.5.0.1030, I’m going to use msAHCI to make sure I get TRIM to work properly with my single SSD. Does msAHCI support TRIM in RAID-0 (I may want to buy another matching SSD if it does), or is that only newer Intel chipsets/drivers?

That’s a pity.

As the name already says, the driver MSAHCI.SYS will only work, if the SATA Controller has been set to "AHCI" mode. If you switch the SATA Controller to "RAID" mode, you have to use an Intel RAID driver.
The "TRIM in RAID0" feature is not supported at all by your old Intel chipset.