AHCI & RAID Option ROM Modules

For the record only.

RAID5 function of this oROM works with the legacy ICH10R of ASUS P5Q Premium.

I’ve got the latest asm1061 official bios or firmware where to get the utility to flash this bios? thanks.

What means "work"? Has it just been detected or did you see an improvement regarding the RAID performance or stability?

If it is an ASMedia SATA add-on card, you should ask the manufacturer of the card, if you have an on-board ASMedia SATA Controller you should explain, what you mean with "asm1061 official BIOS" and "Firmware".

If it is an ASMedia SATA add-on card, you should ask the manufacturer of the card, if you have an on-board ASMedia SATA Controller you should explain, what you mean with "asm1061 official BIOS" and "Firmware".

I own a card based on asm1061 chip I got the bios you issued but without the utility to flash it, it’s useless. however by a programmer I noted the chip of the bios WINBOUND W25X20… is FF so the card is limited to work only into a specified boards. I’ve tried to flash bios by the c341a programmer in vain because the chip is not recognized well.

EDIT by Fernando: Wrong quoting code corrected

I got the 106spi.exe file from the link you issued to me thanks. Now I try to flash the bios chip. Also if it is FF so it should be not detectable.

What means "work"? Has it just been detected or did you see an improvement regarding the RAID perfmorance or stability?

"Work" means that RAID5 can be recognized by BIOS & OS and the OS, RHEL 7 x86_64, runs OK (not complaining anything). I did not benchmark the performance so I had no idea of, and did not feel, any differences after upgrading to the new orom.

Hello everyone

I am new to this forum and I would ask if it is possible to integrate the controller ASMedia in the BIOS.

Does anyone have "ASMedia 104x (SATA3) AHCI ROM module" for Asmedia ASM1042 (not ASM1042A) USB 3.0 (VendorID: 1B21 and DeviceID: 1042)?

The firmware is already updated to version "130125_00_02_00"

@ATAGA :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Yes, if you should mean the "Option ROM" module for the ASMedia SATA3 Controller and not the Controller itself, which is not and cannot be part of the BIOS.

ASMedia 104x Controllers are USB 3.0 and no SATA ones and neither use nor need an Option ROM BIOS module. Option ROM modules for ASMedia 106x SATA3 Controllers can be found within the start post of this thread.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

OK, I can only update the firmware. Thank you for for clarifying me.

@ all:
Update of the Start post
Changelog:

• updated: Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v15.2 series for DEV_2822 SATA RAID Controllers (now v15.2.1.2771)
    The Intel RAID ROM line v15 has been designed by Intel for the latest Intel Chipsets from 100-Series up. Thanks to Pacman resp. Station-Drivers for the source file.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

sorry Fernando
in the first post where you write

How should I do it ? There is a tutorial ? Where ? Only for PRO ?

I imagine that I need an HEXeditor to find(where?) and replace a couple of bytes, finally fix(how?) the checksum

You have to open the Option ROM module by using a Hex Editor like HxD and search for the "little-endian" codes of the VendorID and DeviceID. Then you have to customize the 4 characters, which belong to the DeviceID (DEV_XXXX).

Since this procedure is nothing for newbees, I haven’t yet written a guide.

What do you mean? What is "PRO"?

Yes, I recommend to use the Hex Editor named HxD. The checksum-8 of Option ROM modules should be "00".

Maybe I understand :
- in HeX editor find all istance of (ex. ven_11AB&dev_6145 ->) AB 11 61 45
- replace with my devID : AB 11 21 61
- change the last byte of the rom as = 100 - calculated 8-bit checksum (without the last byte)
correct ?

Is there a changelog for those roms? (ex.: i have L73, what are the differences in L75?)

p.s. "PRO" = "not a newbees" (like I am)

In this example the code would be AB 11 45 61.

This is correct, if the DeviceID of the related Controller is DEV_6121.

I don’t know, whether it is the last byte of your special OROM module, which is suitable for the checksum correction. The locations of the checksum variable bytes are different and depends on the sort of Option RM module.

None of the chipset manufacturers has ever published a changelog for their updated Option ROM modules.

hello, i want to upgrade my P5QD Turbo, is it compatible with this ahci rom? what should i do?

i have already "installed" the "Intel RST RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008" successfully… (and installed latest cpu microcodes but thats totally irrelevant).

Which AHCI ROM do you mean? An Intel AHCI ROM is only usable with old Intel chipset systems, which are running in AHCI mode.

Please look into >this< BIOS modding success/failure table for reports about your special mainboard.

i am talking about “installing” the one here AHCI & RAID ROM Modules , because from what i understand, the raid rom and the ahci rom are different.?

yes thats where i looked and decided to “install” (mod the bios with) the “Intel RST RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008”.

@iakoboss7 :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum (I forgot to do it earlier)!

This was a good decision, because this Intel RAID ROM version seems to be the last one, which will work with your special mainboard.
Nevertheless you should keep in mind, that the Intel RAID ROM will not be used as long as you are running your on-board Intel SATA Controller in AHCI mode.
By the way: Even if you will change the SATA mode to AHCI one day, there is no need to insert an Intel AHCI ROM module into your mainboard BIOS, because your on-board Intel SATA AHCI Controller will not use it.

Regards
Dietrer (alias Fernando)

thanks :stuck_out_tongue: , but you have already welcomed me :wink: Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (newest: v15.2.5.1035 WHQL/v5.0.0.2192 Beta) (63)

so if i understand correctly, the only way to use the updated rom i “installed”, is to change my mode to “RAID”, correct? but then what happens?
right now i am using AHCI mode, i have 1 ssd and 3 hdd. if i change the mode to “RAID” what will happen? will everything work fine? in what mode will my drives work? (i am guessing AHCI?).

will i benefit from using RAID mode? (even though i will not create a RAID array). any chance i will loose Trim?

thank you for your help and time :slight_smile:

Correct.

You will not be able to boot into your currenly running OS, because your Intel SATA Controller is then running in RAID mode instead of the current AHCI mode.

No. You should better stick to the current AHCI mode.