AHCI & RAID Option ROM Modules

thanks! you are the best ^^

Hi Fernando,

I was going to ask you for some advice on which efi raid rom I should use for my system.

Iā€™m running the Maximus V extreme motherboard with the i7 3770k.

Iā€™m doing a full bios update since I just got my build fully done. 2x 1080s :stuck_out_tongue: but needed some advice for my 2x Samsung 850 pro in raid 0.
I have done the bios updating a lot with UBU tool so thatā€™s not the problem just the specific rom I should be using with my z77 chipset.
On the first page of this forum it says that the v13.1.0.2126 rom are originally created for the 8/9 series (not the 7 series) but after that you state that 7 series users should opt for the v13.1.0.2126 rom.
I just wanted to make sure that from your advice that I should be installing the v13.1.0.2126 rom.
My bios origionally has the 11.5.0.1582 efi rom and 11.0.0.1339 orom.

I know I shouldnā€™t be updating the efi rom past a certain version since they do not natively support the 7 series chipset but you kinda state otherwise so just want to make sure.
Once again thank you for your time Fernando! Keep up the amazing work!

I have now read your other thread Which are the ā€œbestā€ Intel AHCI/RAID drivers?.
You do state there that the 13.1.0.2126 are the best for the z77 chipset but let me know what you think as well. Want the system to be operating as best as possible.

Sincerely,
Kamiccolo

Hey, I try to update the option roms in the BIOS of a AsRock 880G Extreme Bios. ( ftp://europe.asrock.com//BIOS/AM3+/880G%ā€¦e3(2.10)ROM.zip )
I get from the support a customized rom, but it didnā€™t solve the issue (with activated write cache Windows runs into BSoD in use of a RAID5). The positive side effect is, they had to remove unnecessary parts like the boot logo, dr. lan and AMD EZOC, but also removed Instant Boot, AXTU and other stuff.
so far they have intergrated these Versions: . AHCI: 3.2.1.0, RAID: 3.3.1540.17

It is easy to find the options roms, I was missing the misc.bin. There is also a rom hole at the beginning. And voila, there is the ā€˜MISC.SIGā€™ pattern.
Maybe it is useful for some people.

I just have corrected this misleading statement.
By the way: Only Intel 7-Series Chipset Desktop systems, but not the 7-Series Chipset Mobile ones, are natively fully supported by the Intel RST(e) v13.1 series drivers and OROMs.

This would be a very good option, if you want to boot in UEFI mode.
Note: For LEGACY mode bootings the driver/ROM combination v11.2.0.1006/v11.2.0.1527 would be the best, but requires a fresh OS installation by using a modified ISO file (look >here<) .

@suchende :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your interesting report!
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Fernando, do you think it is possible to modify the Jmicron option rom to force ahci mode on motherboards that only expose IDE like the Rampage III Extreme and Black?

nvm, i found one provided by jmicron

@Fernando ,
I come back to RAID0 destruction after BIOS Flashbacking operation I observed with ASUS mboards such as P8Z77-V Deluxe and Sabertooth X99.
In both case I observed the problem with the EFI IRST RAID Bios module v14.8.2.2397.
All different RAID volumes I had are for pure datas only, and do use exclusively SATA 6G Samsung SSDs members (840 PRO, 850 EVO, 850 PRO).
You said you never observed such problem.
What EFI IRST RAID Bios module do you use when you observe no RAID destruction after a flashback operation ?

@100PIER :
It was a mistake to update the Intel RAID BIOS module of a Z77 mainboard to v14.8.2.2397. As you surely know, none of the IRST drivers/modules of the v14 platform do support Intel 7-Series chipsets (they are installable/insertable, but they do not work stable).

The only mainboard with USB Flashback support I have ever used was my ASUS P8Z77-V. Since the Intel RST RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 is the by far best performing RAID driver, I always used the Intel RAID driver/OROM combo v11.2.0.1006/v11.2.0.1527 with my Z77 system (unfortunately there is no EFI module of the v11.2 series available).
My advice: Use the Intel RST(e) RAID driver/EFI module, which belong to the v13.1 or v13.2 series.

@Squall_Leonhart :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
I remember you very well, because many years ago we both worked on the same topic "Optimization of the NVIDIA nForce driverpacks").

To be honest, I donā€™t know it.

Can you please post a link or attach the module?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Aha, Yep its me :smiley:
That was so long ago now, and you seem to have delved into more advanced stuff since :slight_smile:

A commenter on http://blog.stuffedcow.net/2012/08/jmicrā€¦card-ahci-mode/ posted them.
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=4F7BE65BF6ā€¦F7BE65BF6B6294F

I replaced the jmb363_1.07.28.bin with jmb363_1.07.28_ahci.bin in the 1607_17 ZioMod and now the controller is in AHCI mode once windows starts instead of being stuck in IDE/PATA mode.

@Fernando ,
Thanks for your comments (#987).
In effect I had some doubt about this version for this Z77 device.
I"ll come back to the v13.1 or v13.2 to keep the EFI feature.

But for X99 BIOS , with EFI module v14.8.2.2397 is it also a mistake which should explain the RAID destruction after a flashback operation ?

The Intel RST(e) drivers and EFI RAID modules of the v14 and v15 may be designed for X99 chipsets (you should ask Intel whether or not), but I personally do not trust them.
According to my own experience with different Intel chipset systems running in RAID mode by using different Intel RAID driver/BIOS module v14/v15 combinations, the older ones (up to v13) are far better, not only regardig their performance.
It seems to me, that the Intel RST driver development staff only do their tests with systems running in AHCI mode.
In my eyes it was a big mistake to put the SCSI driver iaStorF.sys (which is not even used by Win8/10) into the RST(e) package and to stop the development of the "conventional" Intel RST drivers named iaStor.sys (last version: v11.2.0.1006).

@Fernando ,
I have downgraded my Asus X99 BIOS to v13.2.0.2134 RAID EFI BIOS module and installed iRST v13.2.4.1000 driver.
After Flashback operation the RAID0 volume composed of 3 Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB failed, one member was dropped out.
So, the v13.2 branch does not fix the RAID0 destruction after a flashback operation.
However, the second RAID 0 volume (2 Samsung 850 PRO members) does remain intact.
For me the simple or multi RAID0 configurations are not handled properly into EFI RAID BIOS module whatever the version is used.
The symptom is similar with P8Z77 with one simple RAID0 configuration (one member is lost).

FYI, the Samsung 960 PRO is also ā€˜lostā€™. This is a usual problem (I had observed on the 2 different platforms when doing preliminary benchs of this device) with these new device due to a buggy NVMe driver.
A member of the forum also observed and reported me also the 960 EVO ā€˜lostā€™.
To ā€˜realiveā€™ these 960 SSDs the tips consist to shutdown the PC. Wait for 10s, and then reboot and you get them 100% sure alive againā€¦

Hi Fernando,
thank you for this guide.
I have a Foxconn NFPIK8AA with a nvraid module 4.79.
With your guide and cbrom32 I managed (I think) to update correctly the latest (and only) bios to 5.50, picking the module from a MSI nf4 board.
Now I have two questions:
Since my Foxconn board has 8 SATA ports, and Others nforce4 boards have 4, there could be problems?
Second, can I update even to the media shield nvraid rom you kindly uploaded in this guide? Or is it too recent for my Legacy Raid chip?

I tried to do it but cbrom says that the bios file has not enough space for adding ROM.
It seems that cbrom has not replaced the nvraid.rom (I renamed your file) module but attempted to add itā€¦ Maybe there is somethign wrong.

No, the code of the nForce RAID ROM modules is different regarding the nForce chipsets of the target system, but not different regarding the amount of on-board SATA ports.

Not everything, which is possible, makes sense.
What is the reason why you want to update the NVIDIA nForce RAID ROM module? If it should be just the desire to have the "newest" of everything within an old system, I recommend to stick with the currently flashed and obviously properly working BIOS. Due to the risks of flashing a modded BIOS, which contains a modded module, which has never been designed for your secial system, are much higher than the benefit you may get.

Hi Fernando,
you are right with your statement about staying safe with old modules.
The problem is that as I said, the nvraid module is 4.79 and this give me a lot of issues with RAID-0 arrays both in Windows xp64 (never been able to install it at all) and Windows-7 64bit (very poor performances, thanks for your guide on how to install it!).
I was thinking that updating it at least to 5.50 could solve something.
Thatā€™s all.

I doubt, that your problems are caused by the NVIDIA nForce RAID module version of your BIOS. Furthermore there is obviously not even enough space within the BIOS for the bigger sized NVIDIA nForce RAID module v5.50. A removal of another module may additionally enhance the risks of a bricked mainboard after the flashing of the modded BIOS.
Which nForce RAID driver version are you using? Have you already tried another driver version?
You should be able to get Windows XP x64 installed onto your existing nForce RAID array. Even much better regarding stability and performance would be Windows XP on that old nForce system.

Well, I saw a post written by you somewhere about issues with nvraid prior to 4.81
Unfortunately my attempts at installing win xp64 (I prefer given the age of the set up) were a complete failure, it never see the Raid-0 array no matter what driver I use, really.
With your workaround for legacy nvraid I managed to install Windows-7 64bit, I have 8Gbyte of RAM and an Opteron 285 onboard so the system is fast enough.
About the size of the nvraid.rom, 4.79 and 5.50 are the same.

Then you have done something wrong. You have to make sure, that
a) a suitable 64bit nForce SATA driver will be installed (and not the generic MS IDE driver) and
b) all nForce RAID devices (the NVIDIA nForce RAID Controller and the usually hidden NVIDIA nForce RAID devices) get the matching 64bit nForce RAID driver.

If the size is the same, it will not be a big problem to update the module from v4.79 to v5.50. Since the available space within the BIOS seems to be very limited, you may have to remove the v4.79 module as first step and to insert the v5.50 as second.

I managed to install the nvshield bios 9.87, no problems so far.

The issue with Windows xp64 is at installation level. The installation doesnā€™t see the raid array. Whatever driver I use with the F6 method.
I am pretty sure I did everything possible.
I tried to use your method valid for Windows-7 64bit (the patched iso) and xp64 was able to see the array, but it wonā€™t install at all.

For now the installation of Windows 7 64bit with the updated nvraid bios seems to be ok, I should manually update the raid drivers now.

That is fine.

Since the nForce4 chipset belongs to the "LEGACY mode" ones (simultaneous support of P-ATA and S-ATA RAID arrays), you have to make sure, that the F6 textmode driver contains at least 2 INF files (e.g. NVRDX64.INF and NVATA64.INF). Otherwise the XP x64 Setup will not see the RAID array.