AHCI & RAID Option ROM Modules

Depending on the chosen mode (RST or RSTe) another Intel SATA Controller Firmware (Option ROM/EFI module) will be loaded while booting.

Itā€™s my unerstanding that RSTe does not support ssd caching and intel optane?
If that is the case then what are the benefits of RSTe compared to IRST?

Regards
ZeroCool

Hello!

I use old Abit IP35 Pro motherboard with Intel ICH9R PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&SUBSYS_1083147B&REV_02 and JMicron JMB363 PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2363&SUBSYS_1083147B&REV_02 controllers.
Recently migrated to SSD and thinking about update of Option ROMs in my BIOS.
Not sure what from Intel ones will be best for meā€¦ just because device ID is 2922 and not mentioned in 1st post.
I use old drivers 10.8.0.1003 as it is the latest official from intel that support ICH9R, and not sure if I should move to modded 11.x versions or newer.

If needed, I will later extract original ROMs from my current BIOS.

I just interested for the best functionality in AHCI mode, not use any RAID functions for now.
Current boot says this: http://i.imgur.com/9BAStY3.jpg

@b1Ack :
As long as you are running the on-board Intel ICH9R SATA Controller in AHCI mode, you wil not have any benefit from an update of the Intel RAID ROM module, because this module is only used while booting in RAID mode.
If you should ever plan to create an Intel RAID array, I suggest to insert either the Intel RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008 (safe) or v11.2.0.1527 (not sure, whether a >100 KB sized module can be loaded by the BIOS of your mainboard).
What I recommend to do is to update the Intel AHCI ROM module of your mainboard BIOS to v1.20E. This action may shorten the boot time.

Hello,how to update a south bridge firmware module ?
or tell us a link ,ok? thanks a lot.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post removed (to save space)

Use tools for your BIOS type and it can be possible at most of cases. If you have no experience with that - after editing and flashing there is a chance that board will be bricked, so better to post a mod request here in corresponding thread, or on bios-mods or on mydigitallife forums.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted post removed (to save space)

thank you for your good answer,my motherboard is asus p7h57d-evo,open it with amitools and no ahci option in bios.Can you help me?
thanks

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted post removed (to save space)

@YUCHINGLIU :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

>Here< you can get some general instructions and >here< is a guide about how to update the Option ROM modules of your H57 Chipset mainboardā€™s BIOS.
Since we are not allowed to offer any AMI BIOS tool, you have to search for the matching AMI MMTool v3.26 your own.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

thank you for your good answer,my motherboard is asus p7h57d-evo,open it with amitools and no ahci option in bios.Can you help me?

I think that board should use AHCI mode as default. Maybe it has no legacy IDE mode - so no options to change in BIOS GUI. In specs I see it can do RAID - so there should be a way to build it, I just not see how it is switched.
If you still want to modify it - take MMTool that can deal with your BIOS and replace modules what you want. There expected Intel AHCI module, Intel RAID module, and one or more Marvell modules for storage controllers you can deal with and replace to newer ones from this thread.

Hi, Iā€™m using an Asus Rampage IV Formula x79 with raid rom ver 12.7.0.1936 in IRST mode with Windows 10 Creators Update. Iā€™m using the modified 12.9.4.1000 ā€œDEV_2822ā€ drivers.
I noticed the Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v12.9.0.2006 is the recommended version for x79/6-series. Is this still true or can I try one of the v13/v14 roms? If not, would it be worth it to update to v12.9.0.2006?
Thanks.

>Here< you can get some general instructions and >here< is a guide about how to update the Option ROM modules of your H57 Chipset mainboardā€™s BIOS.
Since we are not allowed to offer any AMI BIOS tool, you have to search for the matching AMI MMTool v3.26 your own.

I know it and have these tools software,I can edit intel raid rom,marvell rom ,realtek rom ,microcode,etc,and only cant modified intel ahci rom,because I cant find ahci option in the bios.can you help me?

@Darksavior :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
It is always a good idea for Intel RAID users to have within their mainboard an Intel RAID ROM resp. EFI RaidDriver version, which belongs to the same Intel RST development branch (e.g. 12.9 or 13.1) as the in-use Intel RAID driver.

For RAID users like you there is no need to use the modded variant of the Intel RST drivers. All original WHQL certified Intel RST drivers natively do support the DEV_2822 Intel SATA RAID Controllers.

Everything depends on the Intel RAID driver you are using. For the v12.9.4.1000 driver the best choice is the Intel RAID ROM v12.9.0.2006. If you should decide to update the Intel RAID driver to v13.1.0.1058 WHQL, the best matching Intel RAID ROM/EFI RAID module would be v13.1.0.2126.
You can find my Intel RAID driver recommendations for X79 Chipset systems within the table, which is >here< at the bottom of the start post.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

If there should be no Intel AHCI Option ROM within the BIOS, you cannot update it. If you want, that I search for the Intel AHCI Option ROM within your mainboard BIOS, you should attach the BIOS file (as *.zip or *.rar archive) or give me a link.

If there should be no Intel AHCI Option ROM within the BIOS, you cannot update it. If you want, that I search for the Intel AHCI Option ROM within your mainboard BIOS, you should attach the BIOS file (as *.zip or *.rar archive) or give me a link.

Ok,thanks.It is the bios rom file,is 8M.The link is https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApZRnZl4Z-h-gVI88RGgENHuV8cG
Certainly,I cant know its ahci rom version(I am sure that the hardware information is VEN_8086&DEV_3B22),and want attempt this ahci rom in the forum its version is 2.00h .and more,tell me the modified way,please!thanks

@YUCHINGLIU :
Thanks for the link to the BIOS.
I did a look into it and couldnā€™t find an Intel AHCI Option ROM module either.
Conclusion: The Intel SATA AHCI Controller of your mainboard obviously has already the latest Firmware and doesnā€™t need an Option ROM module.

But I want to attempt the ahci rom with 2.00h version.

You can insert it, but I doubt, that you will get it properly working. I have never heard, that anyone was able to persuade the on-board Intel SATA AHCI Controller to use this Option ROM module.

Yes,I insert it into the bios,and can work properly,but I cant know which is working ,original or 2.00h.

If you donā€™t have realized a remarkable boot time reduction after after flashed the modded BIOS, I suspect, that the inserted module is not loaded while booting.
Do you get any pop-up window while booting showing the AHCI ROM module version?

Yes,the screen show the AHCI ROM module version,it is 2.00h,can it explain the 2.00h ROM working?