AHCI & RAID Option ROM Modules

@ all:
Update of the Start post
Changelog:

• new: Marvell 92xx AHCI/RAID ROM v1.0.0.1027 (DeviceID has to be customized)

• The DeviceID entries of the BIOS module can be customized by using the tool named SetDevID and following >this< guide (the tool is now attached to the second post of this thread).
    Thanks to SoniX for the source file.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando

Intel RST v17.2.5.4046

Legacy & UEFI

17.2.5.4046.zip (165 KB)

@ all:
Update of the Start post
Changelog:

• new: Intel RST RAID ROM v17.2.5.4046 for DEV_2822 Intel RAID Controllers
  • Thanks to Pacman for the source file.
    This BIOS module has been designed for Intel 300-Series Chipset systems. Maybe it will work with Intel 100-/200-Series chipset systems as well.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello!
After adding the AMD AHCI ROM v3.3.2.0 for DEV_4391 module to “Bios -> Advanced -> SATA Configuration”, disk devices are no longer displayed. Everywhere is displayed “Not Present”.
Although the system boots and everything works!
IMG GoogleDrive
How to fix?

@sazan123 :
This seems to be an issue of a system BIOS module, but as long as the system boots and everything works fine, that doesn’t really matter.

@Fernando Thanks!
It does not fix it? Not beautiful!

Hello! Help, I do not quite understand! Where does the value of DEV 4391 come from in the OS Device Manager, if the original BIOS does not have this module? There are only modules 4392 and 4393!
My board: M5A99X EVO!

@sazan123 :
The OS Device Manager doesn’t show the DeviceID of the BIOS module, but just the DeviceID of the detected on-board AMD SATA Controller.

@sazan123
The AMD AHCI ROM v3.3.2.0 is a non-UEFI & non-RAID OROM and that’s why not the right one for your BIOS.
Asus M5A99X-EVO needs (U)EFI-compatible AMD AHCI/RAID ROM v3.3.1540.19 with ID 4392 & 4393.

The ID in the device manager depends of the option you choose in the (UEFI-) BIOS.
If you choose AMD AHCI mode -> 4391 (or 4394).
If you choose AMD RAID mode -> 4392, 4393.

(There’s a second (non-UEFI) SATA OROM -> JMicron 36x in your BIOS.)

Best regards, MiMo

My problem is that the SSD speed on my motherboard does not match the stated one. The same SSD on modern motherboards works great! What could it be?

If you have a Samsung SATA 8x0 SSD running @ AMD SB7x0, SB8x0, SB9x0 (or AsMedia), then it could be that known incompatibilty-problem.
Then only helps to connect Samsung SSD to JMicron SATA-port or another external to get better performance.

But if it’s that compatibilty problem, then updating the SATA OROMs in BIOS wouldn’t help you.

@MiesMosel I tested several SSDs. Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, WD Blue 250GB and Goodram IRDM 240GB. None of them had a declared speed. On the MSI A320M PRO-VD / S motherboard, the same WD Blue 250GB SSD delivered the required speed!

Hello sazan123,

what’s the speed difference of the SSDs between AM3+ and AM4 board?
For testing you could use tools like: AS SSD Benchmark or Crystal DiskMark.
Both tools also show you if filesystem format is correct (with green color).
Please be sure to use the grey AMD SATA ports of your board. The black are JMicron.

You could try this BIOS file (updated with UBU and corrected with UEFITool).
!! Be aware: I couldn’t give you any guaranty or warrenty for working, I’ve done my best. !!
Please use the Asus BIOS builtin “EZ Flash 2 tool” & watch the validity check before flashing.
It’s not an DualBIOS, so be aware flashing - except you have an USB flasher.

If someone else (of the experienced ones, p.e. @Lost_N_BIOS ) could test/check this file, it would be nice.

Best regards, MiMo

M5A99X-EVO-ASUS-1708_newMCs+OROMs.rar (2.35 MB)

@MiesMosel What changes have you made in bios?

AM3+: ≈Read:430, Write:500mb/s
AM4: ≈Read:540, Write:515mb/s

I took the original BIOS from the Asus website, updated the MCs (microcodes) with HxD (hex editor) and updated the AMD SATA, Realtek LAN, JMicron SATA OROMs (option roms). Then rebuilt the checksum by UEFITool v26.

This looks for me not like a problem, because AM3+ is older chipset* & something could be the bottleneck.
All boards are different, even if you compare two boards of same chipset family (p.e. SB950).
And also different because of other manufacturer.

*Newer chipsets could have implemented SATA 3.x with newer revisions.

There are big differences in values [Seq] and [4k-64Thrd] …

No big differences.

Some times ago …

Today …

Please use AS SSD Benchmark & make/post screenshots (could be done by the tool itself)!

Is it a good idea to mix different versions of RAIDDriver.EFI and RAIDOROM.BIN files? For example, there is only RAIDOROM.BIN for 17.3.0.3758, there is no RAIDDriver.EFI for the same version…

Also, the OP states:

Is that only true for Z370 or Z390 too? It’s strange because Z370 and Z390 are the latest models of Intel boards. If they were supposed to work best with 16.X drivers/firmware, then for what models were 17.X drivers/firmware created?

@MonarchX :
Here are my answers to your questions:
1. If the same version of both Intel RAID modules (LEGACY/EFI) are not available, you can mix them without any problem, because only one of them will be used by the BIOS.
2. Since there are meanwhile well approved Intel RST v17 platform drivers and RAID ROM modules available, I have updated today my recommendation for Intel 300-Series Chipset systems within the start post of this thread.

Hello! Tell me how to manually update the AMD RAID modules?
How to understand what I need?

or

And I don’t quite understand the description part! What I need?

Depending on the Southbridge and the RAID features of the AMD chipset mainboard you can find within its BIOS 2 different AMD RAID ROM modules:

AMD RAID ROM for the DeviceID 4392 with a size of 58 KB (for older AMD RAID Controller without RAID5 support) and
AMD RAID ROM for the DeviceID 4393 with a size of 64 KB (for newer AMD RAID Controllers with RAID5 support)

For unknown reasons some AMD chipset mainboard BIOSes contain both AMD ROM modules (for DEV_4392 and for DEV_4393), although only one of them will be used.
For a proper function both AMD RAID ROM modules (for DEV_4392 and DEV_4393) need a separate BIOS module named MISC.BIN. So if you want to update one of the AMD RAID modules, you have to update the related MISC.BIN too. The MISC.BIN modules are not easy to find, because they are just normal modules and no PCI ROM ones shown with a Vendor and Device ID. In an UEFI AMI BIOS you will find them in the module with the GUID Code starting with “9BD5C81D” and ending either with the letters “FC” (for DEV_4392/7802 Controllers) or “FD” (for DEV_4393/7803 Controllers). Within a non-UEFI AMI BIOS you will find the MISC.BIN file within any of the “User Designed or Reserved” modules. Users with an Award/Phoenix BIOS should search within the “HOLE2” section for a file named UI750.BIN. If you are unsure regarding the correct file, extract the modules uncompressed, open them with a Hex Editor and search for the text string “MISC.SIG”. All misc.bin files have that text code fragment.
Important:

Before you are going to insert a new AMD RAID ROM and MISC.BIN module into the BIOS of your mainboard, I recommend to extract the AMD RAID ROM, which is within the originl BIOS, to open the module with a hex editor and to check the DeviceID (4392 or 4393). As you can read >here<, an AMD RAID Controller with the DeviceID 4393 may require an AMD RAID ROM and MISC.BIN, which have been designed for DEV_4392 AMD RAID Controllers. The DeviceID of the on board AMD RAID Controller can be checked by opening the “Storage Controllers” section of the Device Manager (right click onto the Controller > “Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > “HardwareIDs”).
The MISC.BIN file, which is needed for an UEFI BIOS, is a little bit bigger than the MISC.BIN file, which is designed for a non-UEFI BIOS. Reason: The UEFI BIOS requires some additional hex code data as “Header”.
To make it as easy as possible for you, I am offering here MISC.BIN files for non-UEFI BIOSes and UEFI BIOSes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPD:
I need to replace:

via MMTool for “CSMCORE”,
and also

via UEFiTool for

?
Or do I misunderstand?

CPU: AMD FX-4170, Motherboard:M5A99X EVO

AFAIK the on-board AMD RAID Controller needs them both.

How to update manually?