AHCI & RAID Option ROM Modules

Update of the Start post
Changelog:

• new: Intel RST RAID ROM v17.8.0.4460 for DEV_2822 Intel RAID Controllers
  • Thanks to Pacman for the file.
    This BIOS module has been designed for the latest Intel Chipset systems from 300-Series up. Maybe it will work with Intel 100-/200-Series chipset systems as well.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Fernando (and everyone), do you mind clarifying "The function and the compatibility of the ā€œIntel(R) SATA AHCI Controllerā€ obviously is managed by a ā€œnormalā€ (non-OROM) BIOS module, which cannot resp. donā€™t need to be updated."
Iā€™m a bit confused on a couple things, namely: Intel AHCI OROM vs. Intel RAID OROM vs. Phoenix AHCI OROM vs ā€œa ā€˜normalā€™ non-OROM BIOS moduleā€.

I have an EVGA x58 / ICH10R. It has an Award/Phoenix BIOS. Iā€™ve heard a few things, and Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s correct:

• a) If Iā€™m using AHCI and not RAID, the Phoenix AHCI OROM will be used and not the Intel RAID OROM
  • b) neither the Phoenix AHCI nor Intel RAID OROMs will be used, but instead a "normal non-OROM BIOS module"
  • c) the Intel RAID OROM has an AHCI module inside it, so if I select ā€œRAIDā€ mode, itā€™ll use an AHCI module within the RAID OROM
  • d) that OROMs donā€™t matter at all once Windows has started, so itā€™s unnecessary to care about them unless you need RAID ability in pre-boot BIOS/UEFI

Which is correct? Iā€™m only running one SSD so I donā€™t need RAID, but if thereā€™s an AHCI module/ability in the Intel RAID OROM, I would think itā€™d be best to run with that one, given itā€™s an Intel SATA controller, instead of the very old Phoenix AHCI OROM

Also, regarding the names of OROM/PCI modules, in the tutorial, you mention the necessity of using the exact same names, however, Iā€™ve seen others BIOS mods where the PCI module names regularly change with updated modules. The CBROM ā€œupdate/replaceā€ seems to detect and know which module to swap appropriately with.
Is it indeed necessary to use same exact names? What happens if you didnā€™t use the same names?

EDIT by Fernando: I have slightly re-formatted the text (to make the options clearer)

@Coldblackice :
The following picture shows the BIOS modules of the BIOS named E76783.bin, which is latest one for your EVGA X58 mainboard:

As you can see, there are only 3 Option ROM modules within your BIOS:

1. PCI ROM A: jmb363 1.07.25.bin (= JMicron RAID ROM v1.07.25)
  2. PCI ROM B: sataorom.bin (= Intel RST RAID ROM v10.5.0.744)
  3. PCI ROM C: rtegpxe239.lom (= Realtek LAN ROM)
This verifies, that there is no AHCI ROM module within your mainboard BIOS.
Now to your questions:

Only the option d) is correct and currently valid for your system.
to options a) and b): A "Phoenix AHCI OROM" cannot be used, because such OROM doesnā€™t exist. Your on-board Intel SATA AHCI Controller neither needs nor uses any OROM BIOS module.
to option c): The Intel RAID OROM BIOS module doesnā€™t have an AHCI OROM module in it, but the RAID mode supports some AHCI features.

You can give the inserted Option ROM any name, but I do not recommend to do it, if you want to replace a certain Option ROM by another one.

@Fernando

Intel RST RAID ROM v17.8.0.4507

8086-2822 Intel RST RAID 17.8.0.4507.zip (65.3 KB)

Update of the Start post
Changelog:

• new: Intel RST RAID ROM v17.8.0.4507 for DEV_2822 Intel RAID Controllers
  • Thanks to Pacman for the file.
    This BIOS module has been designed for the latest Intel Chipset systems from 300-Series up. Maybe it will work with Intel 100-/200-Series chipset systems as well.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks Fernando! So if there is no AHCI module in my BIOS, how is it able to see + interact with drives in BIOS (with AHCI set)? I seem to recall extracting all of the other modules with a particular tool ā€“ perhaps an old old Award tool ā€“ and then when looking through the hex of these, I recall finding a "Phoenix AHCI" orom. But perhaps Iā€™m remembering that incorrectly.

Also, if I donā€™t have any AHCI OROM in my BIOS, how can the drives end up being used by Windows? Is an OROM not even necessary then? If not, whatā€™s the point of OROMs if Windows (or any operating system) can access the hardware/drive directly without the need of an OROM?

@Coldblackice :
Thanks for your input, which let me look deeper into my archives than before.
Result: You are partly right and my previously given statement was not 100% correct.
There is indeed a Phoenix AHCI module within the BIOS of your X58 chipset mainboard. Its Item-Name is ā€œBIOSF2ā€ and its Original-File-Name is ā€œAH_P10710_ROM.BINā€. This module contains the Phoenix AHCI ROM v01.07.10 dated 12/05/2008, which seems to be the latest available Phoenix AHCI ROM module version. Its code is rather similar to the one I had posted >here< in February 2018.
Nevertheless it is fact, that there is no ā€œAHCI Option ROMā€ within your mainboard BIOS, because the related Phoenix AHCI module is not listed as ā€œPCI ROM[X]ā€.
Interesting point: How is it possible, that you can boot into your OS in AHCI mode using the on-board Intel SATA AHCI Controller, although no discrete AHCI Option ROM has been loaded while booting?
These things are different with newer Intel chipset systems from 5-Series up, because their AMI BIOS contains either an Intel AHCI Option ROM or a Firmware of the on-board Intel SATA AHCI Controller, which doesnā€™t need such separate Option ROM.

Hi, all!

A long time ago, I flashed the Marvell Controller 88SE9128 on my old EVGA X58 FTW3 motherboard with a firmware found at Station-Drivers.
Since I made this mistake, I have three issues: the device ID is now 9123, I canā€™t access to the Marvell BIOS by pressing Ctrl+M, and the top of that, the speed of this SATA III controller is stuck at 3Gb/s. :confused:

So, Iā€™d like to know if someone can explain to me how can I inject this ROM: ā€œMarvell 91xx AHCI/RAID ROM v1.0.0.1038 for DEV_9128ā€ to flash the firmware, please?

Many thanks in advance!

@Mixmatmax :
You will have to customize the DeviceID code of the Marvell 91xx RAID ROM module, to re-modify the BIOS and to reflash the freshly customized BIOS.
The easiest way is to let SoniXā€™s tool named ā€œSetDevIDā€ do the first part of the job. The currently latest version of that tool is attached.This is the way how to do it:
1. Download and unzip the SetDevID tool.
2. Create a new folder within the root of drive C and give it a specific name (e.g. C:\Test).
3. Copy the desired original Option ROM and the file SetDevID.exe into the just created folder.
4. Run the ā€œCommand Promptā€, navigate to the folder and run the following command:

Ā 
setdevid <devid> <infile> <outfile>
Ā 
Good luck!

SetDevID.rar (44.2 KB)

Itā€™s done, the outfile is createdā€¦ Thanks a lot, Fernando!

Intel RST RAID ROM v17.8.2.4684

Source came with efi raid driver still v17.8.0.4507 though.

RaidOrom_17.8.2.4684.zip (66.6 KB)

Update of the Start post
Changelog:

• new: Intel RST RAID ROM v17.8.2.4684 for DEV_2822 (= external DeviceID) Intel RAID Controllers
  • Thanks to frwil for the file.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando

new: Intel RST RAID ROM & Intel EFI RaidDriver v17.8.3.4687
new: Intel Gigabit UNDI v0.8.05

+ lots of other new file versions !

is in this MB bios file:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGā€¦G-ASUS-0403.zip

Can you properly extract these files for us to use ?

Thanks,

Biozzz

@biozzz
Actually, they are in all new z490 BIOS files on ASUS support pages.
Not a secret - you can grab all extracted modules from UBU tmp folder when you open BIOS file in UBU tool and havenā€™t exited yet.

@Fernando
Intel RST RAID ROM v17.8.3.4687

RaidOrom_17.8.3.4687.zip (66.6 KB)

Update of the Start post
Changelog:

• new: Intel RST RAID ROM v17.8.3.4687 for DEV_2822 (= external DeviceID) Intel RAID Controllers
  • new: Intel RSTe SATA RaidOrom module v6.3.0.1005 for DEV_2826 Intel SATA RAID Controllers
  • Thanks to frwil for the module file and biozzz for the source BIOS.
    These BIOS modules has been designed for the latest Intel Chipset systems.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello everyone! Guys I want to try AHCI 2.00h. My DeviceID 3A 22. Who knows how to fix the checksum, that would be "00".

Yes, please, anyone!! ^^^ If anyone can tell me which byte is the checksum byte to fix, I can correct checksum for him, but Iā€™m just not sure which byte it is anymore since itā€™s been so long since I edited Intel AHCI roms.

plutomaniac @Sylar76 @MiesMosel @dsanke @chinobino @davidm71 @ket @SoniX @ex58 @hancor

He said Fernando told him itā€™s byte 0x4h, but comparing several different versions of 1.20E, some have same value at 0x4h and all are zero checksum8, so 0x4h canā€™t be the checksum byte I think and maybe Fernando was not 100% sure?

@Lost_N_BIOS

The easiest way if the location of the checksum byte is unknown.
The last byte in the file is changed, as for example in the OROM SATF Marvell.

@Lost_N_BIOS : @SoniX :

I told him, that it may be the byte at offset 0x04, but I am not sure about it.
The problem is, that the hex codes of the latest officially released Intel AHCI ROM module v1.20E and of the 8086-0000_v2.00h test version are completely different regarding their last bytes.
Both modules are attached.

Intel AHCI ROM checksum correction problem.rar (21 KB)

I do not think that the byte at offset 0x04 is corrective.

There is another suggestion.
To the original files add a block of 512 bytes as 0x00.
Correct the new file size at offset 0x03.
construct the checksum in the last byte at the end of the file.

Edit:

Sorry!
Filesize offset 0x02
Dec / 512 = Dec -> Hex (1 byte)