AMI INTEL CPU Microcode Update Guide

@sweepersc - Each of those apply to a certain CPU (CPUID), you can remove any one you want, or all. Once you remove the one that applies to your CPU then you are running without microcode.
If you want to leave ONLY the microcode for your CPU, yes, you can do that, but there’s no reason to do such, only that one will be loaded and used anyway.
Does your system have BIOS switch? If yes, you can fix your secondary BIOS like so >> Boot to working BIOS, get in EZ Flash within the BIOS, flip the BIOS switch, program the BIOS via EZ Flash, now secondary BIOS fixed
Yes, I checked the board, it has button in bottom right corner, press this once in BIOS and once inside EZ Flash, then update the BIOS and both will then be working.

Thanks again for the response, that was very helpful. Yes, my secondary bios is dead, switching bioses do not work for me. I have just flashed the secondary bios using the USB flashback, but the motherboard won’t turn on. I was trying to remove the patches in order, I first tried to remove C6 and CA, it did not give the correct SP (SP135) and CB20 performance is much worse. Then I just tried to remove C6, still the perf loss is the same. So I figured, maybe if I remove the earlier patches and just retain C6, maybe it will work. Though yes, I ask here first to confirm if the microcodes need to be installed in a certain order or if they can work independently :slight_smile:

@sweepersc - I do not see BIOS 0088, is this your BIOS download page? https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MA…/HelpDesk_BIOS/
If yes, but 0088 is some special BIOS, please link me to it. Also, please tell me what CPU you have.

Sorry, I don’t know what SP135 or CB20 means? I can’t comment more about microcodes until I know what CPU you have, and can look at the BIOS you are talking about, otherwise all this removal of versions you keep mentioning can’t make any sense to me yet.
However, I looked at BIOS 0707, and for that, I can tell you only one single microcode would apply to your CPU, so removal of any other than the one that applies to your CPU would not matter at all (unless you break BIOS, or don’t fix FIT etc)

@Lost_N_BIOS cb20 is cinebench 20 software most popular for testing the CPU performance yes and not overclocked

Hello guys,

I am trying to do a microcode downgrade due to the newer UEFIs have disabled Undervolting with Software.
I’ve tried to follow the guides but have been only partially succesful.

As you can see in Image the first two microcodes have been downgraded to B4, but second ones have stayed D6.

Can anybody point me in the right direction where I’ve made an error?

I have uploaded the files to h**ps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18px…Uj7?usp=sharing

Thank you very much for this Guide!

Kind regards
Tobi

(Sorry for the unusual links, can’t post links here yet)

Hey Guys!

I´m a Benchmarker on HWBot, where every single Point matters.
And I wanted to ask, if someone would be so kind and could please delete the MC Update?
That would be really awesome!

Here is the DL Link to my BIOS from ASUS direct (add https, wasnt able to post the link):
://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2066/ROG_RAMPAGE_VI_EXTREME_ENCORE/ROG-RAMPAGE-VI-EXTREME-ENCORE-ASUS-0702.zip

Best regards!
Xtremefunky

wrong!

hm…??

@xtremefunky - What is your CPU model? You want microcode removed, correct?

@Dalek_Mechanic - Please link me to your stock BIOS download page (not the BIOS direct link, but the page you download it from)
And you want both 806EA and 806E9 downgraded to Rev B4, correct?

Its a 9980XE. Yes thats correct!
In Benchmarks the score with the MC is significant lower.
Thank You a lot in advance!

@xtremefunky - Thanks! Here you go, I’m sure you already know, but in case not, you need to now disable windows from loading it’s own microcode if you are using Win8-10
50654 >> Removed + Fix FIT post removal - Flash via USB Flashback ONLY, this is stock BIOS edited!!
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…439783243946818

Thanks a lot for your work.
But sadly it doenst work. When i try to boot, my Mobo says: "Check CPU". Cant boot. CMOS cleared etc. doenst work :frowning:
I have here a working MC deleted 0603 BIOS Version of my Mobo.
The problem is, that 0603 is useless because it has some strange bugs.
Maybe this will help.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00684112883420641274
When i upload some new scores and worldrecords, I will for sure announce Your help in the the benchmark results!

@xtremefunky - Sorry to hear! Maybe your board needs "All microcodes" removed? I will check the working one, and if it has all removed, I will do the same instead
* Edit, I checked that 0603 BIOS, and both have same exact microcodes in both volumes (ie none removed), but some are updated 50655, 50656, 50657 - and on 50654 it is downgraded to an older version only.

Compare.png

Is that what you want, older microcode?? I can make you two, one with older microcode, and one with none, but some boards cannot boot at all and BIOS may be bricked and need programmer to recover if no manual BIOS switches, when all microcodes are removed.

Thanks for your answer!
I really dont know anything about the mod Bios. I was told, that the MC should be removed. But that hasnt to be true. which seems also not the be true. Obvious.
Well, I would be Pleased if you could make one with downgraded and deleted.
Maybe I can boot with completely deleted.
Wouldnt be a problem if the bios bricks. I have dual Bios and also a bios flasher.
Thank You very much in advice!

Hello,
Stock Bios can be found at
h77ps://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/sel…ook-pc/19753390
Unfortunately can only link to this page, so you have to go through several submenus to find older Versions.
Last version with undervolt working is 1.08.02 so I tried to replace microcode in 1.12.01 with that one.
Processor is a i7-8550u if that matters.

Is there no way to see where I have done it wrong? Or any speculation?

Kind regards and many thanks

@xtremefunky - Yes, you can see it’s there in the comparison image above, so that mod BIOS is not what you thought, maybe your read the mod info wrong??
Dual BIOS is good, but only helpful in brick situation if you have physical BIOS switches, where you can switch from one BIOS to the other manually.
If you have that, and BIOS bricks, just switch to the other, boot to BIOS then enter EZ Flash area, select BIOS to flash, then toss the switch back to the bricked BIOS and flash the BIOS
Here is 0702 BIOS with 50654 downgraded to the same version as the BIOS you linked, and a copy with no microcodes at all for any CPU’s
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…356051523798884

@Dalek_Mechanic - Do you have a flash programmer, like CH341A or similar? If not, how do you think you can flash in mod BIOS, do you know a known working method for your model? Stock flash tool will not work.
HP is a major pain to mod, often you cannot due to auto BIOS recovery (sure start) on many models. Generally though, updating microcode may be OK, IF you have a method to flash in the mod BIOS.
I did not check your BIOS, no need to, I only need to look at those images to see it’s not done correctly (and probably other issues with the mod too)
You only changed microcodes in one volume, there is two, and you probably need to fix FIT table after edit of microcodes too, plus ensure other bad things don’t happen during the edit as well, so it’s not a simple thing to do.
Please do below, send me file from #1 and tell me what error you get at #2

If you have already modified the BIOS in ANY way, you will need to re-flash it back to factory defaults using factory method (NOT FPT)!!!
Additionally, please remove all BIOS passwords, disable secure boot, and disable TPM or Encryption if you have enabled. Do this before moving on to below

If you do not have Intel ME drivers installed, install them now from your system driver download page, then start over here after reboot.
Check your BIOS’ main page and see if ME FW version is shown. If not then > DOWNLOAD HWINFO64 HERE <

Once HWINFO is open, look at the large window on the left side, expand motherboard, and find the ME area.
Inside that section is the ME Firmware version. Take note of the version. (ie. write it down or get a screenshot)

Once you have that, go to the thread linked below, and in the section “C.2” find and download the matching ME System Tools Package for your system.
(ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
> DOWNLOAD " ME System Tools " packages HERE <

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and then inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder (NOT x64).
Highlight that Win/Win32 folder, then hold shift and press right click. Choose “open command window here” (Not power shell! >> * See Registry file below *).

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

((If “open command window here” does not appear, look for the “Simple Registry Edit” below…))

Step #1

Now you should be at the command prompt.
You are going to BACKUP the factory un-modified firmware, so type the following command:
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin "

>> Attach the saved "biosreg.bin ", placed into a compressed ZIP/RAR file, to your next post!!! <<

Step #2

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error(s).
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin "
^^ This step is important! Don’t forget! ^^

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

Here is a SIMPLE REGISTRY EDIT that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu, instead of Power Shell
Double-click downloaded file to install. Reboot after install may be required
> CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD CMD PROMPT REGISTRY ENTRY <

If the windows method above does NOT work for you…
Then you may have to copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a Bootable USB disk and do the dump from DOS
( DOS command: " FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin " )

Thanks a lot, really!
The deleted cant post, like before -> Error Code 34: Check CPU
But, the downgraded works 100% fine and very good.
Here You can see a comparison between the modded BIOS and the Stock BIOS.

You really helped me a lot. Please send me a PM with your PayPal.
I think I owe You at least 5 or 10 bucks for Your effort, besides the annoucement in my results for you help, of course!

Really. Big thanks to You. This will help in my further Benchmarks significantly.
---------------------------

I made it. The highest 18 Core CPU Score with only Watercooling. Thanks a lot.
The result is here and your annoucement on the bottom comment as well!
https://hwbot.org/submission/4595145_xtr…_9980xe_5247_cb

@xtremefunky - You’re welcome! Yes, some systems, not sure if it’s limited to brand or BIOS, or just chipset, cannot boot with no microcodes installed, while others can.
I know X99 and Z490 can, maybe Z390 too, not sure, but many others cannot. You’d have to google around about this for your board and see.
Ohh yeah, that is quite a bit of difference in the scores, especially when every point counts sometimes!!
Thank you, I will send you a PM shortly

Awesome, you snagged up the highest score via water!! How can you tell, limit scores to water? Why don’t they give you WR for water, or is that only overall?
Wow, C15 at 4.2Ghz memory!! Very nice

Thats overall score. But if You search for 18C CPUs and select cooling and sort by Score. This CPU made the highest Score so far! :slight_smile:
But only with your help. And as you can see. Its leading not close, its leading by far :D… haha
I´m really happy with it. I guess I will get some WR in GPU OC as well. At least, I made already 20 WR. So… the journey just started.

I have a question.
Can You do this MC mod to this BIOS as well? https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LG…A-ASUS-3105.zip
That would be really awesome. The used CPU is a i7-7820X. I already achieved 5.3GHz on this CPU, with MC "brakes".
Its my friends system and also a binned CPU. We want to push it further and get a higher score as well.

I don’t know how to do what you mentioned, to get to see the other 18C scores vs yours.
Can you direct link to that, or it wont work? Ohh, I see your attached image of it now, sorry, I missed that at first
Wow, 20WR, that’s awesome!! Good work!

Yes, I can do same mod on that BIOS too, just downgrade 50654 (ie for same CPU model), correct?
If yes, I will do tonight when I get back, just about to leave right now.