[ARCHIVE] Outdated UBU Tool related Questions, Reports and Suggestions

@SoniX - Good to know MMTool TE Repair is usually OK. I’m not sure what you mean by PAD field “Kill” all utility? It’s fine like stock one in BIOS I rebuilt, using UEFITool 25.0, but 25.1 will remove Padding/Non-UEFI data files.

@gjalleri - It’s safe/OK to unlock via grub and flash, but little risky due to your BIOS layout with two setup modules (Unsure which is used, or if both used etc). So yes, it may be best for you to wait until you have programmer, then make a thread and we can get into that.
Here’s what you need (both items), if you can find locally or in other shops that ship quicker that’s fine too, usually costs more that way, this is cheapest way below (3-5 weeks for delivery)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/201316582787
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382486015977

@Lost_N_BIOS

I’m not sure about the reliability of MMTool. An example you have already seen. UEFITool/UEFIRReplace is also not ideal, and has its drawbacks, for the solution of which simply does not suffice time and effort.

Padding. Previously needed to align and delete such files was not critical. Now manufacturers have begun to use them for any nonsense and removal or relocation may already be critical.
In UEFITool it planned to make changes to save these files and their position in the BIOS file.

PS
UEFITool utilites updated to A54 / 0.26.0
https://github.com/LongSoft/UEFITool/releases

Ohh, sorry, I thought you meant MMTool was OK when it fixes all those TE errors. I don’t use it myself, when I see that kind of thing with stock BIOS, I simply do whatever method to mod that gets me same matching errors once done. So if TE error in stock, I make sure same in mod once done
Thanks for info on padding and UEFITool planned changes, will be good! And thanks for update links, I didn’t know already updated again!

I recently got my hands on an Asus X99 Deluxe II whose 0406F1 microcode I’d like to mod to pre-Spectre version 22. After quite a long search, I managed to acquire the file containing this revision.

From what I’ve read, it seems I will generally have to flash a modified BIOS via USB Flashback - is this correct? Are there any other known complications with the current UBU toolset?
I’ve toyed around with the tool for a bit, and inserting this microcode manually (press m key during update choice) will apparently remove all other microcode - is this intended?

Appreciate any help.

How to add your revision microcode.
Example:
- Open ‘Files\Intel\mCode<b>MCUpdate.txt’
- Edit/Add;

#LGA2011v3

#406F1 2011v3\cpu406F1_platEF_ver0B000031_2018-09-05_PRD_BB03FDF6.bin
406F1 my_folder\my_file

406F0 2011v3\cpu406F0_platEF_ver00000014_2015-07-02_PRD_F22A3585.bin
306F2 2011v3\cpu306F2_plat6F_ver0000003D_2018-04-20_PRD_A5D0CFB1.bin
306F1 2011v3\cpu306F1_platEF_ver00000014_2014-01-10_PRD_9F835FBB.bin

For those who managed to modded the Rampage VI Extreme Bios 1603, how did you proceed ?

Thanks

@tistou77

I think latest cpu microcodes have bugs or are not fully suitable for 1603 bios, while previous versions work like a charm.

@Sylar76
Indeed, I tested the latest microcode with the bios 1503 and it works
Bios 1603 is a problem, perhaps following the update of the "RC"

Try this new one please :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Bhz9Xd…cVvW9EfhlU6tRWL

@Sylar76
answered your PM

@SoniX
What is the D option for microcode ?
To test for the x299 and 55 or 4F error problems with Asus bios for example ?

Capture.PNG

Thanks

@tistou77

Usually microcodes are placed in PEI volumes. But in the BIOS for MSI x299 series, these volumes have a fixed size and cannot be changed.
Option "D" test. It allows you to clear the microcodes in the PEI volume and put them in the DXE volume, instead of the dummy file.

@SoniX

Ok thanks
Not useful for Asus bios and problems encountered

What are Asus error codes and their description?

@Sonix

Error 4F at boot when update the microcode with bios 1603 (R6E)
Sylar76 had managed to modded a bios with the microcode update but will not be able to do it again (error 55 now)

@tistou77

I made some changes to the microcode update process.

scr1.jpg

Now you need to check.If you want to test, then put a link to the BIOS.

@Sonix
the process to update the microcode with UBU, proceeds without error, just this problem at boot (the 4F error will be related to the DXE, I believe)
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LG…E-ASUS-1603.zip

The strange thing is that with old UBU version I was able to add/replace modules on 1603 bios, with UEFI Tool in order to not have any issues with MMTool using UBU.

Now, even replacing iRST efi module with Uefi Tool, MMTool reports a “firmware volume error”. It’s a very strange thing. No problems at all using Rampage V Extreme 3902 bios I modded again yesterday
in the same way.

I solved the problem of 4F error,
Unfortunately, the error 55 could be solved only by MMTool, since the UEFITool/UEFIReplace is not doing the Rebuild PEI volumes

We must look for a newer version of MMT than 5.2/

@SoniX

Thanks, how you solved the problem of 4F error ?