Asus X99-E WS MSR 0xE2 Unlock And Native NVRAM Patches

tests carried out, everything works perfectly! Thanks again!
Merry Christmas

Hi. Any chance to have x99-a bios patched for big sur? Actually any link to a guide will be very appreciated. Thank you guy’s

@motionworks @redlyon @ ALL - Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and I hope you all have a great New Year!!

@seevolas - Info on page one, but not sure there is a guide anywhere on how to do the actual editing. What BIOS version do you need edited?

@dragonsun252 - Will you do this x99-a edit for seevolas, or do you want me to get it? Thanks

I need to patch Native NVRAM. On ASUS X99-a 4101

I manage to update microcode and unlock MSR =xE2 But had no luck with native NVRAM

I tried with coderush Uefi Patch and always get an error.

There is a lot of people out there (Me included) with x99 systems blocked in stage two reboot loop of osx 10.16 install. And I would like to find a way to help myself and others.

That’s why I’M looking for a guide to patch NVRAM

@seevolas - Extract BIOS Body from capsule (How to here, except at #2 you do your edits instead of NVME edit)
Patch info is in post #2 - Search via hex with UEFITool to find location to edit (in your BIOS case = 54B070F3-9EB8-47CC-ADAF-39029C853CBB / NVRAMSMIDXE)
Use UEFITool 25.0 and extract target PE32 module from found locations (Suggest extract/replace via Body - example image below), do edit via hex, then replace edited module back into BIOS same way you extracted with UEFITool 25.0.
Then put modified BIOS body back into capsule per method linked above via hex, and save as USB Flashback name.

I will do for you if DragonSun252 does not want to do, once he replies back.

Extract/replace PE32 BODY w/ UEFITool. This is random example in image below, this is NOT your BIOS or the module you should be editing
I also did the extract here with UEFITool NE Alpha 51, you can use 25.0 to extract and replace, this is only a general example I made to show someone how I do this kind of extract/replace

Setup-PE32-BODY-Extract-Replace.png

@seevolas , Coderushes Patch is hit or miss and it often requires a manual edit. I can make one for most X99 ASUS Boards at this point and will also be posting them along with flashing instructions on my website and here on the forums. As for instructions on how to mod it. @Lost_N_BIOS posted the basics off it. It’s hard to convey and teach this but it requires a lot of background knowledge. If there are sections of his quick guide that make you lost there are many more extensive guides on here for edition a BIOS :).

Also, I want to confirm that you do not have USB 3.1.

@seevolas
Here is an X99-A Mod with MSR and NVME Patched.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=08367498153436312976

Here is an edited CodeRush patcher with my bad attempt to guide you. (I just downloaded and tested and it made one that matched mine)
Please be aware as it says in the guide the tool will mess up the Capsule header and that will need to be fixed (Included)
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=04146520364306350152

Thank you dragonsun252. In the last few days I manage to patch and flash my bios with msr, nvram and updated microcode. Sadly that did not work for osx 10.16 and I’m still blocked on second stage reboot loop. 10.15.7 works great anyway. I’m gonna keep working on it.
Again thank you very much for your help

@seevolas Did you try the bios linked above?

1 minute ago I manage to install big sur.
I flashed your bios and and tried lots of other things and I kept rebooting til for some kind of intuition formated the installation drive to macos extended journaled and to.my surprise it did the job. But still I need to repeat the process to understand exactly what happened.
Your version of uefi patch is exactly what I did a few days back. Of course I was not aware of the need of editing the bios .cap

Thank you very much.

@dragonsun252 - For non-brick safety, best to use UEFITool 25.0 or UEFIReplace 25.0 if using UEFIPatch, otherwise sometimes critical padding are removed or changed in some BIOS on rebuild (sometimes in volume you don’t touch too).
You can see what I mean if you compare side by side BIOS stock/Mod in UEFITool NE Alpha 51, look at Parser tab on bottom and note the pad and or Non-UEFI data differences mentioned
Sometimes this is OK and does not = brick, but often it’s critical and = brick if any padding changed, added, or removed. So I always check side by side before/after with UEFITool 51, and make sure parser matches in this regard
AND any volume I edit in specifically too, scroll up/down on each and make sure padding are same (none added or removed), they do not always show up in parser and sometimes it’s ones that are not in parser that cause issue too.
I mention because I noticed this issue in your BIOS at #16, but I didn’t see until after he had flashed, luckily in this case it was OK

And thanks again for helping on this for users

@Lost_N_BIOS Thank you for this. I will go back and take a look tonight. I was using an old UEFI replace (and ubu and a few others) I’m Updating today but I and UBU are having words LMAO.

Good to know about also manually double-checking it and yeah I am learning to make much cleaner edits and BIOS’s thanks to you :slight_smile:

@seevolas , To install Big Sur, Requires a fresh format “type depends on drive and drivers loaded” and CSM disabled "In most cases"
Check EFI\CLOVER\drivers\UEFI folder for proper Filesystem support. :slight_smile:

@dragonsun252 I have got the ASUS X99-A II board, could you also help me to have the Mod with MSR and NVME Patched on it? I also need to upgrade my existing Catalina to Big Sur. Or, give me some advice how to mod the current BIOS?

Millions thanks

@dragonsun252 I am using x299 deluxe II. The BIOS generated by myself cannot complete the installation of bigsur. I always restart in the second stage of the installation. Could you help me generate a bios.

@fitman33 , Sure thing. More practice on these for me. It will be a day or so tell I can get to it.

@cqllzp I don’t think I have any X299 Asus on hand to test myself with so it may take an edit or two to get it working. I can also have a base one out for you in a day or two :slight_smile:

It is great to me that you can help. You are the best!!

Can you help with MSR and NVRAM patch for Asus X99-E-10G WS motherboard?
latest BIOS from manufacturer dlcdnets . asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Socket2011-R3/X99-E-10G_WS/BIOS/X99-E-10G-WS-ASUS-1201.zip

@cqllzp do you really mean x299 deluxe II? Not X99 Deluxe II? Thats‘s the one I am using. I would be interested in a patched bios for that one as well. But atm I got enough problems with catalina so I cannot really try big sur.

@dragonsun252 Can you help with a modded bios for X99-S ? I think it is similar with X99-A . Thanks!

@latzease Yes, had life come up but I am working through my backlog ATM. Can you drop a link to the stock BIOS PLZ?

@NEOSoftWare https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99…/HelpDesk_BIOS/ and to confirm you’re on ver 1201.

@Iluvatar0 What issues are you having? also specs and a dump of EFI and PCI tables, ACPI?

I think I am going to make an X99 Asus thread for this later to cover multiple boards.