[BIOS] Flashing modded bios issue - Motile 14 - M141[BIOS]

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS , would you be so gracious as to unlock my bios as well? I am running an M141 on bios v 1.06

Thanks a lot and keep up the great work!

BM_BACKUP.zip (4.66 MB)

@drmotile - You’re welcome! Yes, it’s amazing what kind of stuff they hide from owners of products

@banhmigos - Here you go
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…313760405957430

*** WARNING - To ANYONE with laptop and unlocked BIOS!!!
DO NOT try to enable this graphics card or disable that card, switch cards etc. Otherwise you will end up with no display output (ie black screen) and no way to recover except by blind flash or with flash programmer.
You can change graphics related settings, like changing memory sizes, or core speeds etc, just don’t try to disable one card or change which is main etc.

Additionally, be very careful when trying to undervolt CPU, you can leave BIOS unbootable due to CPU voltage too low (Sometimes even 0.05 is too much)

WARNING *** - This BIOS is user specific! If you are not user banhmigos at Win-RAID.com forum, DO NOT USE THIS BIOS!!
If you do, and you are not banhmigos, then you will loose your serial, UUID, OG NVRAM, and possibly LAN MAC ID as well.
You have been warned!!!

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS

Is there anything different I should be aware of when flashing via UEFI shell? For some reason flashrom doesn’t detect a writeable flash device on my linux install, but I was able to update from motile’s 1.03 to 1.06 successfully with the AfuEfix64.efi tool. And I’m able to backup the rom with “> AfuEfix64.efi BACKUP.ROM /O”

@northranger - Sorry, I do not know about BIOS update method on this model, just update per the manufacturers suggested update method from 1.03 to 1.06 - Sounds like you did this already, so not sure what the issue is now?

Ohh, for Flashrom, follow the guided method Fernando linked at post #4, it works for everyone else with these systems. If you are trying some alternate method and it’s failing, don’t do that, follow the guided method only

Thanks @Lost_N_BIOS , I read Fernando’s guide before, but I missed the link to DOS binaries of flashrom.exe. Unlike the Linux builds, it was successfully able to detect & read the Winbond chip on my system from a FreeDOS 1.3 boot USB with CSM enabled. Can you help me unlock the rom I was able to extract?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KU0mFz9…iew?usp=sharing

@northranger - You’re welcome, and nice to see you got it! Also, thanks for the reason why it works now but wasn’t working for you before
Here’s your unlocked BIOS - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…531472541937783

DO NOT try to enable this graphics card or disable that card, switch cards etc. Otherwise you will end up with no display output (ie black screen) and no way to recover except by blind flash or with flash programmer.
You can change graphics related settings, like changing memory sizes, or core speeds etc, just don’t try to disable one card or change which is main etc.

Additionally, be very careful when trying to undervolt CPU, you can leave BIOS unbootable due to CPU voltage too low (Sometimes even 0.05 is too much)

WARNING *** - This BIOS is user specific! If you are not user northranger at Win-RAID.com forum, DO NOT USE THIS BIOS!!
If you do, and you are not northranger, then you will loose your serial, UUID, OG NVRAM, and possibly LAN MAC ID as well.
You have been warned!!!

Thanks again @Lost_N_BIOS .

Flash was successful using

flashrom -p internal -o MOTIL~1.ROM -V -o BIOSLOG.TXT

on a FreeDOS1.3 boot USB.

As many BIOS options as I could imagine appear to be unlocked.

I was successfully able to overclock RAM from DDR4-2400 to 2733MT/s (using 1367Mhz option in Advanced - AMD CBS - UMC Options - DDR4 Timing Control - Memory Overclock). Sadly the overclock is less than the rated DDR4-3200 18-18-18-48 on my RAM stick (G.Skill RipJaws SO-DIMM), but that probably comes down to motherboard quality, SoC voltages, etc. I tried up to +50mv VDDP voltage and up to 120ohm ProcODT to try and stabilize even DDR-2800 but that wouldn't boot. On the plus side the timing controls in the unlocked BIOS enable tighter RAS-CAS etc. I was able to set CmdRate to 1T and crank down primary timings to 14-15-15-44 and see the measured RAM latency drop to 70ns in memtest.

For anyone RAM overclocking, I recommend leaving the bottom cover off and the CMOS battery unplugged (two pin next to wifi card). Wall power will retain settings until a failed boot requires an unplug.

Other notes:
The Advanced(1) - Keyboard Backlight - Light Effect setting to "disabled" does nothing and the backlight still resets on power off.
The Advanced(2) - AMD CBS - NBIO Common Options - System Configuration setting allows changing the configurable TDP of the SoC. Higher than 25 watts and the system does maintain higher boost clocks, but the M142 cooler design isn't really up to the task.

@northranger - Thanks for quick test and report back!
Try using 3000 multi instead of 3200, also try 100 x multi instead of 133 x multi, if those options are in there (I didn’t look, am used to Intel too)
If not, at least you got to tighten it all up now, maybe that would perform better than looser timings at higher speeds anyway?

On the lighting effect, can you see both (two light effect options) now? They are for different things, but no one has confirmed what on these “Motile” systems yet, other similar systems user explained and tested all three I made visible for him (maybe you need other one made visible, instead of the one I added)?
OverPowered TONGFANG CyberPower Machrevo MACHENIKE - Unlocked BIOS Guide W/ Files (18)
If you want to test, let me know and I will make all three visible to you.

@Lost_N_BIOS There’s no multi or multiplier or base clock setting that I can find. I’m certainly no expert on Ryzen BIOSes, but from videos I’ve seen from e.g. GamersNexus, Hardware Unboxed, Level1Techs, etc. the "AMD CBS" and "AMD PBS" menus are as complete as I’ve seen on any modern AMD motherboard. Since I went from 2400 to 2733MT/s that’s 12% more bandwidth. Also with the tweaking of primary and a couple secondary timings the reported latency in memtest went from 89ns stock down to 69ns. I saw others in the thread report better luck with 8GB sticks, but to me the 16GB capacity is more important.

I do see two "Light Effect" options now. The 2nd one provides a list menu with 6 settings, and the first one 7 (same list but with "Mix" added). However this laptop’s kb backlight is only one color, no zones, and two or three brightness levels. My guess is the EC controls the backlight, since it turns on and responds to the brightness Fn keys (Fn-F6 and Fn-F7) whenever there’s power, even before the EFI boot menu appears. The machine has never remembered backlight brightness from power-off, so I’m not sure the EC consults NVRAM for a default or saved value. Since I have the silver colored machine, the white backlight is kind of pointless, which is why I was trying to default it to off, but honestly it’s not the end of the world if the BIOS has no control. I tried the setting more as a "nice to have", but if there’s another setting you can make visible, I’d be happy to test for other’s sake (for science :wink: .

@northranger - There is a memory multiplier, that’s what I was talking about, isn’t there? If there is not, how are you seeing/trying 3200 from 2400 I see what you mean now, I guess there is not, and it’s just “Pick memory speed”
Here is CBS/PBS IFR text output, if you want to, scroll through those are see if you see anything missing vs what you see in BIOS, such as “Combo CBS”, if there is then we can make it visible too
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…702388198870106

If you want, I can hide that 2nd light effect back? Sorry, I assume they all had RGB keyboards and LED’s, since Light Effect 1 is visible to you by default.
So you want backlight off? Nothing happens if you set both of those to disabled now? Yes, if you want to test, here is BIOS with all three visible, set all three to disabled and see if it disables all backlight or not
Yes, you are probably right, it’s probably EC FW controlled, since there is no RGB keyboard and the default Light Effect seems to do nothing too. Lazy programmers, they should at least hide all that in stock BIOS since it does not apply to this model
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…884339462219829

Dear @Lost_N_BIOS if you are still available to unlock BIOSes, I have a Motile M142 that I would like unlocked. Thanks :relaxed:

@Lost_N_BIOS This contribution is godlike! thanks so much for the share, this may very well be the best tweak to improve performance on this machine!

If you’re still helping out with creating the modded BIOS, I have a Motile M142 and and here I attached my personal .ROM file. Your help would mean the world to me as I’m not knowledgeable enough to do it myself

Have a nice day

@omrefarke - Here you go
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…581567277534376

WARNING - This BIOS is user specific! If you are not user omrefarke at Win-RAID.com forum, DO NOT USE THIS BIOS!!
If you do, and you are not omrefarke, then you will loose your serial, UUID, OG NVRAM, and possibly LAN MAC ID as well.
You have been warned!!!

--------------------

@miggy123 - Thanks, and you’re welcome too! Here is your BIOS unlocked
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…973213372897110

WARNING - To ANYONE with laptop and unlocked BIOS!!!

WARNING *** - This BIOS is user specific! If you are not user miggy123 at Win-RAID.com forum, DO NOT USE THIS BIOS!!
If you do, and you are not miggy123, then you will loose your serial, UUID, OG NVRAM, and possibly LAN MAC ID as well.
You have been warned!!!

@Lost_N_BIOS , if you are available to unlock yet another M142 bios I would like to hop on the wagon.

Thank you,

BACKUP.zip (4.64 MB)

So I was about to order a stick of 16GB RAM when I started reading through this whole thread. I have the M142. I was looking at a Crucial stick at 2400 or 3200.

Am I better of sacrificing the space and using the stock 2666 8GB stick and trying to overclock it, or would buying a 3200 16GB stick work at the clocked speeds? Gaming performance is preferable to me than more RAM, but I though getting a bigger stick of RAM was a safe upgrade. Any of you playing with the unlocked BIOS and multiple sticks of 16GB RAM have any input here?

Dear @Lost_N_BIOS ,
I’m sorry, but can I ask for the BIOS to unlock? I really need your help.
I have two laptops. (M141, M142)
I uploaded a backup copy of the BIOS.
It may be annoying, but I hope you can help me a little.

m141_backup.zip (4.62 MB)

m142_backup.zip (4.63 MB)

@pamplemousse5 , Buying any ram at all, regardless of advertised speeds of the ram, will only work at the stock BIOS speeds unless the BIOS has XMP enabled or overclocking options. If ram is advertised as 3200 MHz, you still need to change settings in BIOS to allow those speeds otherwise it will run at 2666 MHz stock. So you would have to overclock either stick of ram with the modified bios in order to get the higher clock speed and timings. There is only one slot for RAM in the motile laptops, so there is no dual channel operation. It’s either the stock 8 GB or replacing it for the 16 GB you buy.

Hello @Lost_N_BIOS , could you please help me to unlock bios for my M141 (Motile 14) , Bios backup attached.

Also im interested to make hardware modification. Is there any information in bios about support of CPU? For example - i have possibility to reball Ryzen 3 3200U to Ryzen 7 3700U, but i dont know does it support this CPU, i think its almost the same as 3500U. Im interested to make hardcore mod for this laptop

BACKUP14.zip (4.64 MB)

@pamplemousse5 - Only testing will tell you, sorry. If I were you, I’d get the 2600 set, you can usually OC that to 3000 or above anyway, unless price is close to 3200.
If price is real close go ahead and grab the 3200, even if it wont run at 3200 then you could probably get tighter timings at lower speed with better binned kit anyway.

Ohh, sorry, you’re also/mainly talking 8GB vs 16GB too, I didn’t notice until I typed out above already… For best performance, you want dual sticks, so if you only have one in there now get either a matching stick (same speed, timings at very least) or a new matching set of 2x8GB or set of 2x16GB
I would not run single stick, that is slow >> Bummer!! I just noticed what remembertellfriends said ABOVE, no dual channel on these!?!?! I would return the entire laptop and get something else
So, now with that in mind, I revise to this >> Get new better single stick of 8GB or 16GB whatever you can afford at highest speed with tightest timings.

@remembertellfriends - Here you go >> Never mind, please update to 1.06 BIOS first, that way I don’t have to redo for you again once you notice you there is a newer BIOS
If you want to stay on 1.05 for some reason, OK, just confirm back and let me know and I will unlock 1.05 for you as it is.

@rookie0306 - Both systems use same BIOS, but here, since you are dumping BIOS directly, be sure you program the correct BIOS back to the correct machine, so serials and MAC ID etc all are with the proper machine
Here you go >> http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…524083597377360

@shadowbars77 - Here you go >> http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…074397789057577

Sorry, I’ve not seen anyone discuss hardware updates on these. If you can reball and rework in a new CPU, then if needed I can add the microcode to the BIOS, but if there is some block list I wont be able to help remove that.
But, I doubt they put time into such, however there may be some CPU TDP limitation set, you’d have to ask DeathBringer about that here or at BIOS-Mods forum, after you attempt the upgrade and it fails, not sure if he would check into that for you without you having already done the modification?
There is microcodes for the following in the BIOS as it is now 00810F81, 00810F80, 00820F00 - Both CPU’s you mention have same 15W TDP and use same CPUID (810F81), so if either compatible, they both should be, unless there is some CPU block in place.

WARNING *** - These BIOS are user specific! If you are not user users noted above at Win-RAID.com forum, DO NOT USE THIS BIOS!!
If you do, and you are not those users, then you will loose your serial, UUID, OG NVRAM, and possibly LAN MAC ID as well.
You have been warned!!!

@Lost_N_BIOS , nevermind! No reason to unlock my own individual BIOS. Before I understood enough I went headstrong into flashing the BIOS with a different user’s ROM so I have lost my S/N and UUID. Wanted to test it first throwing caution to the wind, not the best strategy.

I’m not finding an easy way to recover from this as the UUID was not saved anywhere. The S/N is on the bottom of the laptop though.