Dell Optiplex 3020 BIOS flashing

@csorikam69 -

Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64
Then on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C” download the matching ME System Tools Package
(ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder.
Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin
If you do get error, show me image of the command entered and the error given
^^ This is important step, don’t forget ^^

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

Or here is simply registry edit that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu
Double-click to install, reboot after install may be required
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…134606820377175

HI, many thanks for your support! Teh bios dump is ok, but the flash is not…

error.JPG

Hi @csorikam69

You need to set your PC in Service_Mode. You can do this by moving the jumper on your motherboard to the service mode pins.
You have a Dell Optiplex 3020 MT right?
So your motherboard is "mih81r, 12124–1 m"
Here is a picture of it:

dell-optiplex-3020-mt-desktop-motherboard-s1150-ddr3-vj4yx-0vj4yx-beginner28-1509-03-beginner28@8.jpg

I drew a red circle on the left side. That is the location of the pins to set your PC in service_mode. You need to move a jumper on those pins.
This is what a jumper looks like:

praxistipps.s3.amazonaws.com_clear-cmos-jumper_5332bd73.jpg

So turn your PC off, open the case, move the jumper on the pins where it says "Service_Mode". Close your case and restart your PC.
It should show a screen like this:

bIUqK2d.jpg

Press F1 and just wait until you can login again. Then restart again. Press F1 again and wait until you can login again.
Now repeat your flash command in FPTw: FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin
Now you should NOT get Error 280 anymore.

@Koven - Thanks, I forgot this one has jumper!

@csorikam69 - yes, once you do above, and confirm you can write with FPT, send me the biosreg.bin file and I will make NVME Mod BIOS for you.

Many thanks, I have flashed the bios, and its working!

@csorikam69 - you should not have flashed ANY BIOS from this page, at all with FPT!!!
You need to dump BIOS region with FPT, and send to me (or you mod yourself), then you flash it back. If you use any BIOS from here you will loose your serial #, Asset Tag, Service tag etc (you’ll have someone else’s info instead )

I thought he modded his BIOS by himself already.

Would it be possible to alter the dell boot logo to some other graphics?

HI,

A replace the motherboard to a Dell 9020 and I make a modded bios to this too.

The error is the same but I forget the solution, please help me…

I don’t find service jumper on this motherboard

error.JPG

Hi, Thanks! I’m reading and reading, and understanding. The BIOS is ready.

Hello,

sorry for digging and bumping this old thread, but I think its the most relevant I could find for my question.

I am about to buy a refurbished optiplex xe2 (or an 90320) but I want to also buy an m2 disk and connect it on pci-express with an adapter and make it bootable.

So far, I downloaded the update bios file for xe2 and managed to get the HDR file and update it with the requested line in order to make bootable. However I am stuck on how to update it on the bios as it is not a ROM file.
On a second attempt, I also managed to extrack the ROM and BIOS files from the exe (with “phoenixtool250” OR with “universal extactor”, not quite sure). However I haven’t done anything apart from the extract.

I see that @Lost_N_BIOS has some answers to the questions that I need, would you happen to have a tut-like for DDCU or CCTK? Or maybe know a different way to update the bios for pci-express boot?
I know that I should have the optiplex in order to test the solution, but I want to know if there are ways in order to make the above request and then I would proceed with the purchase.

Thanks

@stfn - Yes, extract BODY of RAW GUID >> EB3001D5-F827-4938-95E2-5C8F644B966F
Make your own BMP of the same size and same format (BMP, same mode 8bit / indexed etc) Other formats may be OK, but I’d only test if you have a flash programmer

@thod_ris - Please link me to stock BIOS download page so I can grab the exe and the full model name etc.
Then I will check, but probably we can’t figure anything out until you have system in hand, I prefer to use FPT so I’ll show you how to go that route if possible (None of the files or methods you mentioned will be used)
I can’t help until you have system, sorry. I don’t know about flashing mod HDR, or extracted bios region from HDR, or how to properly mod HDR so it is flashable (it’s broken once you modify it like a normal BIOS)
DDCU or CCTK only work on certain systems, so there you’d have to have system in hand to try too.

@DeathBringer may have already made NVME mod BIOS for that Dell model (XE2)? If he has, I’m sure it’s probably already directly flashable, or he will tell you method to flash mod HDR etc
He knows much more about Dell and HDR than I do

@Lost_N_BIOS thanks a lot for the reply.

The download page for the BIOS is here, and is the one I actually used while following this guide (but as you said, I will need that).

I am still looking for a reasonable price for and XE2, so I will update as soon as I get it (most likely it will be from the UK, so it will also take some time to get to Greece).

@Lost_N_BIOS
need to know guide about stag & astag info of this type dell bios.
tried tag search in hxd but not worked.
is it possible to edit stag asset tag & uuid info in hxd without any other utility.
uploading my bios biosrgn part for testing purpose.

Region_BIOS_BIOS_region.rar (5.71 MB)

@thod_ris - That system’s HDR file can be extracted into it’s components using PFS extractor method, from there you will find BIOS region (but still this would not be used either)
We’ll dump the actual on board BIOS region, edit it, then program it back.

@earthoo7 - Before I download that, what is this model?
Did you already try Dell tools to change these values (Dell Asset Service Tag DST) Asset and Asset_A209 are similar, but not same, try both
https://ufile.io/vhcz0sl7

@Lost_N_BIOS thank you very much for your reply.

I changed my initial plans, and bought a new SFF case, mobo and cpu.

Thanks again though!

@ Lost_N_BIOS
model no. is latitude 3400.
no, i did not try (Dell Asset Service Tag DST) utility.
i need to know how can we find servicetag & asset tag place in hxd or with uefitool like older dell plateform bios.
i checked nvram section vss store padding area ftw store carefully but not able to find servicetag or asset tag in hxd.
is both are encryped ? or any option to view them to download right exe from oem website, even if laptop sticker color faded or tear off means not able to see service tag info.
and after make fresh bios with help of oem .exe insert them without any tool possible?

@earthoo7 - I don’t know for sure, dump BIOS region and send to me, and send me image of Main BIOS Page and I will look for you.

I have a Dell Latitude E5450 laptop that I purchased a refurbished motherboard for. The service tag was set to 1234567. I have been trying everything I can to update the service tag to the original to no avail. This thread is very interesting and I would like to figure out how to set the service tag. Would you be willing to teach me to use the method you outlined to change the service tag?

@thod_ris , "I am still looking for a reasonable price for and XE2, so I will update as soon as I get it"

Hey, I just got an XE2 cheap, if you are interested and don’t mind ordering abroad like I did?
So, I got an XE2 i7-4770S from a German second-hand reseller named it-welt24.de, for 189 euros, plus 15 for international delivery, cool :slight_smile:

Adding all the other bits and bobs for a full desktop work system (all from other places, like amazonS and ali… - except for a second-hand monitor which I also got from it-welt), unfortunately still took the desktop over the 500 threshold (which for many of you still is “nothing”, I know).

Anyway, it’s a super xe2, I like it.
It’s actually how I landed here at Win-Raid. Because I also bought a (new) nvme ssd, together with an adapter for xe2’s pcie x16 slot (its fastest, and 3.0). All works well for DATA already, but obviously I am desperate to get it working for booting from the shiny new Samsung 970 Evo Plus nvme ssd.

And THIS is what’s holding me up already for the 5th day. By now I’ve most search results grey, because Duck shows me I’ve read it already, lol. And you see, here I am in this thread alone on the penultimate page. I had also searched of course, but the forum found nothing of help unfortunately.

While modding xe2’s BIOS remains an ultima ratio, for now I refrain doing so as articles everywhere convinced me that the Dell XE2 indeed CAN be made to boot from pcie natively. It’s just a teeny bit still that I seem to be missing.

Dell’s newest BIOS update “A26” along with three more updates I accepted. While I also downloaded Samsung’s own nvme driver, it isn’t “integrated” yet into Win10’s ISO file because that was created by Window’s Media Creation tool. I don’t have a Win10 installation, it will be its first, straight onto the NVME SSD, I still HOPE.

Anyway, I stop the rumbling, get the XE2, it’s good IMHO. :slight_smile: