Flashing Gigabyte while avoiding "Invalid BIOS image"

Thanks for the very detailed answer @chinobino !! So you would recommend me using the 0.87 mod ones instead of the 1.0? and FreeDOS is okay to use as long as i just do 0.87 mod? i could just run the efiflash.exe on FreeDos without any sufffix, correct?

@Koekieezz Yes to all of the above

thanks alot @chinobino now im confident enough to do this. so for any B550 gigabyte before capsule bios, Freedos + 0.87 mod to flash probably fine. i will test this my own, hope my luck, since it doesn’t have any B_Bios B_)

Anyways, the 0.87 mod file on your page cant be reached, maybe fix the link?

@Koekieezz Link fixed, good luck

help me B360M Aorus Pro 1.0

1 Like

Just wanted to say thank you so much I needed this could not have my PC running Blocked your a lifesaver. Do you have a donation link for yourself.

3 Likes

For the “fptw64 -SAVEMAC -f <DowngradeBIOSName>.bin,” what am I supposed to do? It doesn’t work when I replace DowngradeBIOSName with the name of the bios file (Z390AOPW.F9).

Edit: nevermind, I renamed the file and it worked

1 Like

thank you so much chinobino

1 Like

What did you rename this too. I am getting invalid syntax errors. I have literally copied the command and renamed my Bios file to many different things, including removing the file extension. I’ve even tried pasting the file path with no success. any idea what I can do?

Read the guide post related to: Flashing Gigabyte while avoiding "Invalid BIOS image" - #313 by Cisco150

Yes, I read it all. I know what I am supposed to do but when I paste the command “fptw64 -SAVEMAC -f .bin,” it wont work. nothing happens. I’ve tried renaming my bios file to exactly “DowngradeBIOSName” even removing the “.f9” extension so that the code is identical and it knows where to pull the file from in my FPT directory. but it still blanks out or gives me an error message in my FPT folder saying that it is wrong.

lol… the example between " " its just that, the tool works with any name file and doesn’t care anything else, in all operations…wtf.
The direct cmd is only if the tool and the file is in the root c:

fptw64 -SAVEMAC -f WOTEVERUWANT.BIN

What century you live on…

Yeah I understand that it can be whatever name I want it was just an example to make it easy. are you saying I have to take the <> off?

1 Like

YES DAMMIT, oh my god…unbl, my kid when it was 13, stoped asking me any cmd line help…

Do you know you can check the cmd help text with -h or ? or /h… please try it, you may learn something

EDIT: Wotever garden of grass BOY.

:joy: touch some grass my guy

When I try to downgrade from f12 to f9 on a z390 aorus pro, I get a message about error because secureflash is on, and that in 5 seconds there will be a reboot … Then a countdown of 5 seconds passes and nothing happens, the command line restarts. Only mod 0.87 works for me, other versions give a file error. But still no results.

@zoomcool7 Yes this is a deliberate decision by Gigabyte to stop you from downgrading to previous BIOS due to “major vulnerabilities concerns”.

The F12 update for the Z390 AORUS PRO says:

Introduce capsule BIOS support starting this version.

Customers will NOT be able to reverse to previous BIOS version due to major vulnerabilities concerns.

I have posted a guide on how to get around this limitation here.

Please read the entire guide carefully as you can overwrite/erase your Intel ethernet MAC address!

1 Like

Thank you so much!
However, this did not solve my micro freeze problem =( *

im on the latest capsule bios F12 on my z390 aorus pro and i’m trying to flash a modded version of F12 that has the fastest microcodes, so far i’ve tried many modded efiflash files from here but none seem to work, i still get the invalid bios image erorr. so i’m guessing FPT is kind of last resort for me atm.

noob question: the bios i’m trying to flash is named 2.F12 (F12 being the actual extension of the file) will this be a problem? or i need a bios file that has the .bin extension?