[GUIDE] Fixing HT for Coffee Lake CPUs on Skylake and Kaby Lake motherboards (Z170, Z270)

@aleban - then get full backup first with Intel Flash Programming Tool (FPT) using >> fptw -d spi.bin

@wonderfool
I don’t know what’s wrong there, but changing (only first?) Zero to 0 works:

Else
{
Return (Package (0x14)
{
Zero,
Zero,

@aleban then - to state the obvious - you should get one, CH341A costs less than 5 eur.

It may be possible to execute complete bios chip flash using low level tools such as ftpw or afudos but this is just asking for trouble since essentially you have just one go at this with no way to recover if things go wrong (as they often do when doing this kind of experimental work).

Thanks guys but it’s too much for me. In comparison, delid and hackintosh that I perform are very simple compared to this. I surrender to Intel.

You can use mandatory packaging:iasl.exe -f *.dsl

Oh, thank you

thank you very much, you did great job really!

@ziddey I don´t know why it shows this information. I am using the iGPU without Intel driver, just default windows driver.

@s.napi , my ASUS PRIME Z270M PLUS couldn’t boot 8700 CPU after mod CpuMpPei the 3 lines, could there be more place need to be modded for this board? Thank you.

Does it boot 8700 before mod? If yes, can you upload your BIOS before/after mod?

Hi!

I would like to buy a new, better motherboard instead of my existing b150m-ds3h type. Currently it runs with an i5 6500 processor and 2X4 gb 2400 ddr4 (with 2133 mobo’s limit).

I want a right card that supports my current processor BCLK tuning. And if I get a multiplier-free processzor later, then that too.

Also, later on I would like to keep the machine in the longer run, so it would be good if I could include the 8th (possibly 9th) series I7 processor in a new one with some mod. (as in the previous configuration: 775-771).

The amount for the mobo would be about 30000 HUF

Which motherboards are recomanded?
Z170 ones compatible with the i7 8700k with HT?
My old motherbord compatible with the coffee lake cpus?

Thank’s for the help!
Martin97

@s.napi
I can boot i5-8xxx, but can not boot i7-8xxx…
And here is the BIOS image.
Thanks

z270mmod.part1.zip (5 MB)

z270mmod.part2.zip (3.15 MB)

@wonderfool
You need to be more specific. The board does not power on, does not POST or does not boot into OS (Windows)? What changes have you done to BIOS? You can boot i5, with BIOS before or after mod? You posted only one BIOS file, I asked you for two - before mod/after mod.

@s.napi
Sorry, previous attachment is the after one, I patched CpuMppei and ACPI tables for i7 CPU.
And Here is the before one.
Both before and after can work normal with i5 CPU, and can not post with I7 CPU.(the FAN is spinning but no POST)

before.part1.zip (5 MB)

before.part2.zip (3.05 MB)

@wonderfool
It looks like there are more parts different, in the two uploaded BIOSes, not just CpuMpPei + ACPI tables. The first occurrence of patched CpuMpPei in your modded BIOS was rebased (probably bug in UEFITool). When I got this module rebased, if I recall correctly, the board would not POST. But you are writing that on i5 everything works - so I am confused. This would mean that patch is not working. The code on your board is slightly different but it should work, I think. I updated “patches.txt” from first post, try reverting to working BIOS before CpuMpPei patch, then patch it with UEFIPatch (step 1). 2 locations should be patched. Don’t fix ACPI now - flash the BIOS and try if it will POST. Also if you have access to i5 and i7 at the same time, you can test if the i7 works - enter the BIOS setup with i5 and try changing number of active cores to 3. Save changes, turn off the power, swap CPUs. i7 should boot with 3cores/6threads even without patching CpuMpPei.

I’ve tested lots of motherboards.
Most ASUS 100 series ( Z170/Z170I PRO GAMING , Z170-P ,Z170-A )need BIOS version lower than 3000. And these BIOS do not have CpuMpPei. HT is OK without patch.
If I use BIOS version higher than 3000 , with CpuMpPei patched , it can boot with i7 , but stuck in ASUS logo or just keep rebooting.
ROG M8H BIOS 3802 with CpuMpPei patched work with i7 perfectly.
ROG M9A BIOS 0906 with CpuMpPei patched work with i7 , but newer version (1010 1203 1301 )stuck in ASUS logo ,debug light show 9C.
ROG M9H all BIOS version with CpuMpPei patched , boot with i7 ,keep rebooting , debug light show 91.
ROG STRIX Z270F BIOS 1301 with CpuMpPei patched , boot with i7 , stuck in ASUS logo .0906 with CpuMpPei patched works.
All I tested BIOSTAR, ECS ,ASRock,GALAX,SOYO,Maxsun,Colorful,Gigabyte,Clevo BIOS with CpuMpPei patched work with i7 perfectly.
MSI laptop MS-16L1 MS-16L3 and mini PC G65/G65VR work with cfl i7 after CpuMpPei patched.
Lots of MSI 100 series 16M BIOS even can not boot with cfl i5. MSI 8M BIOS can work with i5.
But after CpuMpPei patched , it won’t boot with cfl i7.EZ debug light show CPU , DRAM and VGA keep circulating.
According to my test , seems except ASUS and MSI , the other manufacturer’s motherboard all can work with cfl i7 now.

@wonderfool
Looks like the changes in CpuMpPei in non working BIOSes are the same as in your BIOS. Therefore I suggest you to try PRIME-Z270M-PLUS-ASUS-0607 BIOS. This will probably work.

@dsanke
Debug code that high suggest that the board is in DXE phase, probably some other module(s) needs to be patched on these versions, unfortunately no access to mentioned boards. Can you confirm that the patched BIOS (CpuMpPei) that does not work with i7 (12 threads) works with some other CPU (< 9 threads)? It could be helpful if someone could record slow motion video (240 fps) of the Q-Code sequence from boot to crash/stop with i7, from boot to the end with some working CPU.

By the way, for a Z270 board that looks the same as Z370 board (M9A, M10A), can you just replace the whole BIOS with a Z370 one?

@s.napi
M9A can work with M10A BIOS region perfectly , only problem is the CPU temp higher than M9A BIOS , I am not sure whether it’s a sensor bug.
Z270F can use Z370F BIOS region too , but AURA can’t sync. (Two motherboard both have AURA firmware replaced from Z270 , otherwise their lights don’t work at all.)
All I mentioned ASUS motherboard BIOS can work with CFL i5.
And I will try record debug light use mobile phone.
There must be other modules need patched.
Test with MSI B150M Bazooka D3 , CpuMpPei patched , screen show graphic card post string and go black. Then EZ debug light stuck in VGA.
Use 8100 boot to BIOS and select active core number to 3 , and i7 boots.

Regarding the card ASUS LOGO, have you changed the setting options using amibcp5? I tested the ASUS Z270-A. Once I changed the firmware using amibcp5, I brushed in the card LOGO, no matter what the CPU is. In addition, when I open the previously saved firmware with amibcp5 again, amibcp5 cannot display the firmware parameter information correctly!

@s.napi I tried with ver.0607, it can power on finally, but just keep posting and shut-down…