[Guide] How to get M.2/PCIe connected Samsung AHCI SSDs bootable?

1. Who is the manufacturer and which is the model of the 256 GB M.2 connected SSD,
which has been natively within your ASUS ROG notebook?

the laptop bought it used, I do not know what ssd was. ami I came with a disk sata 1TB.

2. Which was the reason for buying the 120 GB Silicon Power M.2 SSD?

because the silicon power m.2 ssd is type 2280. and according to the info I found on
my model is compatible with 2280 and 2260. I thought that was enough for it to work.

3. Are you sure, that the Silicon Power M.2 SSD has not been detected by the original BIOS?
before doing anything, try it. and it was not detected … although if they turn on
the leds of the disk, this do not blink

G771 Upgrade Guide,
https://rog.asus.com/articles/g-series-g…-upgrade-guide/
I found that the compatible port is M.2 PCI-Express SSD,
the disk that I have is SATA III. I think that’s the problem, but I do not have much knowledge of this.

@Zyon_Z You’re going to have to open the back of the laptop up, and see if there is SSD/HDD only in there or also a M.2 drive (under memory), since this was purchased used.
Then you can also give exact full name of the model of your M.2 drive, or an image if you can, so someone can verify it’s NVME for you.

.I was referring to that since I bought it used, it did not have ssd.

.I bought the Silicon Power M.2 SSD and I put it on.
this was never detected, neither by bios, nor in windows10

.this laptop came with windows10 on a 1TB sata disk.

.also try leaving the ssd alone, with rufus following the steps Of configuration
but the windows installation does not detect it.

@Zyon_Z :
After having read >this< and seen the “ASUS ROG G771 - Specs”, everything seems to be clear for me:
Your Silicon Power M.2 SSD, which can only run in AHCI mode, is not detected, because the M.2 slot of your system only supports the NVMe protocol.
So you simply bought a wrong SSD.

Yes, surely that is.
I do not understand much about the subject, but. So, I think the correct one would be to buy one with PCIE support and with type 2280
with one NVMe card, right?

I hope not to make the same mistake xD
Thanks for everything

Yes, you need to be sure it’s M.2 PCIE NVME, it will cost more than the regular type you purchased already.

if you can not return the current SATA based SSD there exist external adapters which will allow your to use your SATA m.2 in a external usb 3.0 adapter

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-M-2-…e/dp/B00T8F298Y

@Zyon_Z :

Yes, I recommend to buy a type 2280 M.2 SSD with NVMe support (e.g. the 250 GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 32Gb/s 3D-NAND TLC, Model: MZ-V7E250BW).

What is the latest version for the Samsung module? I see there is also this other one, which I’m not sure if it is better or not: [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

I got to boot on M.2 using the UEFI module from Clover boot loader, but it did not work when I switched to LVM partitions. So, I am wondering if there is another version more up to date.

Let me know know the differences between them.

@bmod :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

AFAIK there is only 1 EFI module for PCIe connected Samsung AHCI SSDs available.

Your linked thread is about NVMe SSDs, whereas this thread is about AHCI SSDs. Both threads are about completely different SSD models.
Which SSD model are you using and which protocol (NVMe or AHCI) does it support?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando :
Sorry for my confusion.

I have the Samsung NVMe SSD 960 PRO - MZ-V5P512BW. Then, the other thread is the correct one for me.

Hi, I have a samsung SM951 PCIe AHCI branded by lenovo, the product number is : MZHPV256HDGL-000L1 and the firmware is BXW22L0Q.
My first goal is to manage to boot on it without bootloader (like clover) on my Maximus V Gene then on my collection of 775 and 1366 (which are not UEFI).

I tried on my M5G, I found an already modded bios here but it was too large for my 8 Mbytes epprom, so I modded it myself with this tutorial (bios here) but it doesn’t boot :
I tried MBR and GPT partition on it, I tried to force UEFI or legacy but there is nothing I can do. I installed windows 10 on it and I used my other SSD w10 bootloader to boot on it but it seems that it reboot at some point.

I’m confuse because my SSD is AHCI and not NVMe and I don’t know how AHCI PCIe SSD work vs NVMe SSD…
1. Does it mean that I don’t need to NVME mod the bios (because my SSD is AHCI) ?
2. Do I still need to get my bios “AHCI PCIe” modded ?
3. Do I need to have a legacy oprom on it ? (in orders to boot on my M5G)
4. Can this OEM branded of the Samsung 950 PRO got the legacy oprom ? (where can I check that ?)
5. Is it possible to mod his firmware ? (to add legacy oprom)
6. It will be display in the bios even on 775 board if it have the legacy oprom ?
7. If I want to boot on my 775, I need to get a 950 PRO or SSD with legacy oprom but with AHCI or NVMe ?
8. Do I need to mod the bios of my 775 in order to support AHCI or NVMe ?

(I apologie for that type of thread with listed question but I think it will be easier for me to understand how it work)
I also got a HP branded PM951 which is NVMe but is in my laptop (I can pull it off if needed to test)

Thanks a lot for reading and respond to my thread.

@TheQuentincc :

I have moved your post into this already existing thread, because you will find the required information regarding your problem within its start post.
All you will have to do is to insert the missing AHCI EFI module named SAMSUNG_M2_DXE.ffs into the DXE Drivervolume of the notebook BIOS. The procedure itself is similar the integration of the NVMe module.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks, and for non UEFI bios there is no solution except buying a 950 PRO like ?

@TheQuentincc :
I doubt, that it is possible at all to boot off an M.2 SSD, if the BIOS is a non-UEFI one.

A friend show me that he can boot with his SSD Samsung 950 PRO NVME on 775 motherboard (asus P5E with original bios), it is detected as a regular drive "IDE: PCIE DRIVE 0"

But I need an legacy oprom…

@TheQuentincc :
The problem is, that such Option ROM is neither available for the public nor insertable into the mainboard BIOS. Worldwide there is no mainboard BIOS, which contains a Samsung NVMe or AHCI Option ROM.
Users of a Samsung 950 Pro are lucky, that Samsung has put the required NVMe Option ROM into the NVMe Controller Chip, which is within the SSD, but this doesn’t help you.

Is it possible to get efi version of this module. Because I want to use it with clover so that my ahci ssd apple ssd 1024sm can be found by clover. I booted from clover and started windows installation and windows was able to find the ssd and installed. But on next boot I have to start from the ahci ssd. But clover is not detecting ahci ssd. I am using ASUS p6t se motherboard. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

@rbmanian75 :

The BIOS module named SAMSUNG_M2_DXE is an EFI module.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando :
Thank You for the reply.

Sorry i am new to this bios things. I booted from clover and from efi shell i loaded the SAMSUNG_M2_DXE.ffs and it is display error message saying it is not an image.

So i followed this guide [Guide] How to extract/insert/replace EFI BIOS modules by using the UEFITool and converted the ffs to efi module.

and tried to load in the clover efi shell and it was displaying error loading startimage file not found.

I have asus p6t se MB and apple proprietary ssd 1tb from macbook pro mid 2014 ie connected via pcie adopter. I am not able to make the ssd bootable. But when i try to run the windows setup it detects the ssd. but on next boot clover is not detecting the ssd.

Is there any way to fix this.

Thanks