[GUIDE] How to get Win7 clean installed onto an NVMe SSD

Zitat von boanerges1 im Beitrag #9

it is from Lenovo
LENSE20512GMSP
LENSE20256GMSP

I think I was able to apply the hotfix that you are saying in my Windows 7 setup, it is now detecting my nvme SSD, however I am unable to select it as it is asking for a driver. I believe this is where I should select the correct driver for my nvme controller.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help…indows-7-and-wi

Here’s a quick clip
https://vimeo.com/264582798

I had the exact same issue - the windows 7 installer can even detect the NVMe-drive, but you can’t install windows on it.
For my Windows 7 SP2.8-series I want to have native NVMe-support with using MS’s two NVMe-Updates. I ordered a ssdpekkw 12 for this, that, for my surprise, supports installation to it in GPT and MBR, for testing/developing. It took me 6 really fu**ing frustrating hours to figure it out (due to my ADHD i can get annoyed pretty fast). To get it working like i wanted to - using Gigabyte’s Tool or combining a Windows 10’s ISO and a Windows 7’s install.wim, which would both work, tested it - wasn’t an option for me because but I want it to have as Windows 7-native as possible.
Here’s how i did it:
It took me some ‘attempt’s’ to really notice it but in MS’s how-to there’s an, at least for me, unusal way for slipstreaming this:
First you have to add the two updates as usual, but DIRECTLY AFTER slipstreaming the two updates, you need to copy the contents from your mount-directory to the sources-directory that you use to create your ISO later:

dism /mount-wim /wimfile:w:\extract\sources\boot.wim /mountdir:%mount% /index:2
dism /image:%mount% /Add-Package /PackagePath:%v1%Updates%arc%\NVMe
dism /image:%mount% /add-driver /driver:%v1%driver%arc%\usb3 /recurse /forceunsigned
xcopy /s /y %mount%\sources w:\extract\sources
dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:%mount% /commit

Hope this helps, interested in replys.

Hi just read your post coming from your personal experience.
I have Crucial 1 TB M.2 onboard connected. WIN 10 AND 7 ON IT, ENTERPRISE LITE ALSO, ALL LEGAL SYSTEMS.

My problem is that none of system I have on this drive can be upgraded from within, like refreshing installation (Upgrade) option. Have you any idea how can it be done as you have found the other way to make installation see drive AND USE IT. Upgrade from within system stops on booting to system. And it is returning to initial system. Notice is : No changes were done to your system files, or so… maybe these drivers you use on USB are missing? This is not working with Windows 10 either. No upgrade possible on M.2 disk. The only way is copy partition to SATA or raid SATA and upgrade it and then again clone it to desired position on M.2 THIS IS DISASTER.

@PitKoz - Here’s two ways to do clean install on HDD/SSD, then clone to NVME, maybe this will at least save you some hassles/headache from trying to use the “upgrade” methods

Clone SSD to NVME (Clean installed, or current in-use OS) - This will work for Win7 or Win10 (I know for sure “My Way” will work for Win7 or Win10, have done both myself during my first NVME tests)
[Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS (330)
Installing Clean Win7x64 on M2.2280 PCIe Gen3x4 SSD A-DATA SX8200 Pro << My way

@Lost_N_BIOS
This I can do easy installation on NVMe it is done swiftly, but upgrade is not working. Neither upgrade to 10 from 7 nor within same system edition. Win 10 did upgrade itself to 1909 or so (last edition), Enterprise LTSC did not, nor Win 7.

Upgrade is not suggested for Win7 or Win10, in a normal situation I would advise against that anyway (on HDD/SSD even). Do clean install, clone, done.
If you must “Upgrade-method” is 100% required for you due to some workround you needed, do all that on the HDD/SSD, then follow my guide to clone to NVME

If you mean Win10 doesn’t seem to be updating/upgrading from within OS Windows Update options, sometimes you have to wait a while (or force via certain methods), they aren’t always pushing out updates to everyone in the world at same time.

This answer is not within my subject I mention previously.
Try to understand this what I said better.
And Makrium with some experience works swiftly.
What about native vendor drivers for Crucial?

Your reply isn’t very clear. There is no such thing as native Crucial drivers, nor would they be needed.

So which like 3.5’ diskette drivers can I use probably extracted from MS update files?

None, and none are needed. For Win7 you install the driver in-OS from MS installer files, or put into install.wim + boot.wim if creating an ISO, for Win10 nothing needed

@Lost_N_BIOS But I need upgrade within the system, so … it means there is no other way but cloning this twice?
Very crappy … ;(
Today not nice … upgrade of Malwarebytes failed partly and it blue-screen my win 7 system during scan… have to work it out.

Why do you “Need” that, due to some method that requires this? If yes, then do all that on HDD/SSD as I mentioned, then follow my guide once you are done and clone to NVME. Cloning is only done once.

If you want to do clean install of Win7 to NVME from ISO, use this method (I’ve also tested and this works too) - https://www.sevenforums.com/installation…tml#post3397930

1/. First clone to HD
2/. Upgrade
3/. Clone to SSD / NVMe…
For me twice.
Which program for cloning spares editing registry for drive letters, is there any or just one?
I have to use another system to do proper cloning.
Edit partition serials and so on…

See my edit above. Steps should be
1. On HDD/SSD, get OS ready however you want it.
2. Clone to NVME

Sounds like you are already on NVME, due to step 1?? If yes, what is this all about? If no, why step 1, why would you clone to HDD before starting?

My clone method, you do not edit anything, backup the drive and then restore to other drive, done.
Drive letters redo themselves once you load windows, if you need them to be some odd or certain values you can change with disk management once you are in windows.
Partition serials are irrelevant.

Due to upgrade. You do not like it, but for me it is essential.

See my edit above again - I don’t care about Upgrade or not, it doesn’t matter for this, was only trying to save you hassles and problems later.
If you want to do in-place upgrade that is fine, do it all on your HDD or SSD, then once you are done and ready and have all the OS the way you want (ie programs installed, etc) then clone to NVME

None of this needs done on another system either, you only need a third drive to hold the backup image for clone using my guide method

In Place upgrade is not working. On SSD / NVMe… that is the issue.
And probably never will.

See my edit above again In Place Upgrade is possible on SSD and NVME, no problem. For sure possible on SSD without anything needed, have done this myself in testing many many times for people. For NVME, you’d have to have the OS already running on NVME, drivers installed, etc.
If that is what is failing for you, then you have some issue with your ISO, the method you are using, or the OS install you are trying to upgrade from, this has nothing to do with HDD/SSD/NVME
Probably an issue with your ISO file. Use a clean untouched ISO from Microsoft and you wont have that problem

I have clean ISO/files for upgrade (*.WIM) it downloads upgrades also, and it downloads all from MS. Starting upgrade in place and fails.

OFC there is one more possible fail cause, (but I deeply doubt), my systems are never on C:<br />
Even most simple programs do their jobs on this not C:\ config.

Don’t let it download anything during the install, do install offline and do upgrade offline, get OS how you want on HDD or SSD, then clone to NVME
Updates from MS are not always available each day for everyone in the world, so doing that with download of files from MS in the middle may be missing a critical update due to it not being available for download to you right then.
Do all this without Microsoft updates, other than ones you install in windows and reboot/let install before you get to all the clone process. Don’t be connected to the internet or try to “Allow Updates” while doing the in-place upgrade either.

I am now on my spare system on S:\ scanning failing system due to Malwarebytes malfunction.
And all is working great. This is my SOS simple Microsoft Win 7. On SATA raid.
All tools and utilities on place without any problems. I have not there my "for work" programs.
Which are in my most important Win 7 on NVMe.

---------

This sounds really new to me…
I never try this way.

Anyway: 1/, download upgrade for system from within system from MS and 2/, disconnect 3/, refuse any interaction with MS during install, that is your advice?