[Guide] Integration of AMD's AHCI/RAID drivers into a WinXP/W2k3 CD

Hello WinRaid forum

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2920X
Mainboard: Gigabyte AORUS x399 Extreme
HDD Western Digital (for data back, up not always connected, MBR)
SSD M2 Samsung 970 (for boot drive and day by day use, GPT)

I have a multiboot (GRUB boot loader and Windows boot loader) with Linux Kali and Windows 11.

I am a little nostalgic about Windows XP and I want to install it on the SSD M2, GPT.

I did the following steps:

a. run Easy2boot tool with the .iso ‘Windows XP Pro x86 VL Service Pack 3 en-US September 2018’.
b. started the setup process, pressed F7 to bypass the ACPI verification by the setup

I receive the normal message from the setup that no drives are found and I can press F3 to exit

a. integrated ‘AMD AHCI driver 1.2.1.321’ with nLite on the .iso ‘Windows XP Pro x86 VL Service Pack 3 en-US September 2018’.
b. started the setup process with Easy2boot tool and the option ‘Install XP using WinPE’ (because setup is not starting with this modified .iso), pressed F7 to bypass the ACPI verification by the setup

I receive the error ‘amd_sata.sys could not be found’

a. downloaded ‘STORPORT.zip’ from this forum
b. extract and copy ‘storport.sy_’ to ‘I386’ folder
c. edit ‘txtsetup.sif’ with a new line ‘storport.sys = 100,4,0,0’
d. rebuild the .iso with nLite
e. again started the setup process with Easy2boot tool and the option ‘Install XP using WinPE’ (because setup is not starting with this modified .iso), pressed F7 to bypass the ACPI verification by the setup

I receive the error ‘0x0000007B’, so I understand I didn’t integrated the correct drivers.

Please advise on how to proceed further.
Thank you !

PS: I noticed ‘George_King’ notes about his tool ‘XP2ESD’ but I didn’t find it to download it.

@IndianaJones
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

It is not easy to get the extremely outdated OS Windows XP properly installed onto a system with a modern AMD chipset.
Here are some advices:

1. Download the packages named “Universal 32bit AMD AHCI driver v12.1.321 mod+signed by me” and “Universal 32bit AMD AHCI driver v6.1.3.35 mod+signed by me” and extract their content into separate folders. The download links are within the start post of this thread.
  2. Integrate one of the just mentioned mod+signed AMD AHCI drivers into the XP ISO file by using nLite.
  3. Prepare a bootable CD by using the just created XP ISO file.
  4. Unplug all connected disk drives except the target one for the XP installation.
  5. Boot off the XP CD with integrated AMD AHCI driver and press F5 or F7 while getting the “Press F6” message to correct the ACPI settings.
  6. Try to get XP installed onto the target disk drive.

If the installation should fail, repeat the procedure by using the other mod+signed AMD AHCI driver.

Good luck!

I just tried to use the 2014 AMD driver with Windows 2000 on an Acer Aspire A315-21, but it told me in setup (using a USB connected to USB2) that rcxpahci.sys was corrupted.

I was wondering if anyone had a Windows 2000 compatible AMD SATA/AHCI driver with the following Device ID (from Standard SATA AHCI Controller): PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7901&SUBSYS_11921025&REV_4B

Thanks in advanced for your help!

@Moline
Please be more specific. Which “2014 AMD driver” did you integrate or load? We need the exact name of the driverpack and the exact driver version.

This one: MEGA It’s 32-bit and is version 6.1.3.35.

Advance thanks for helping me.
I got an ACPI error, so then I pressed F5 to select Standard PC Because I don’t need ACPI mode. after that, I am having a blue screen for the AHCI driver for Windows XP. I could not find the drive anywhere for the XP (32bit or 64bit both).

My controller hardware ID is: 1022&DEV_7901&CC_0106, and 1022&DEV_43C8&CC_0106

I really appreciate it if someone has it and share it with me. A big thanks again.

My Motherboard is: B450M STEEL LEGEND AM4
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600 6-Core
GPU: ASUS Dual Radeon RX 6400 4GB
SSD: SP m.2 sata

Please help me.

@rmmorshed
The “Universal 32bit AMD AHCI driver v6.1.3.35 mod+signed by me” should support the AMD AHCI Controller DEV_7901 during the XP x86 installation…
Which are the HardwareIDs of the AHCI Controller, where the target system drive is connected?

Thank you so much for your quick support. I really appreciate your help, Last 2 weeks I am tried to install Windows XP on it, but I am failed all the time.
I am trying now 32bit with the v6.1.35 and I will update here.
My Hardware ID shows two different, I think 2nd one is AMD StoreMI but I am not sure!
I have attached a picture boot from the current windows 10.

My target drive is Silicon Power 512GB M.2 SATA SSD, Installed into M.2 (SATA3), which is next to the HDD SATA connector. (pictured added)

Thank you again :slight_smile:

Updates:
I tried XP x86 ISO after added “Universal 32bit AMD AHCI driver v6.1.3.35 mod+signed"
It gets the blue screen 0x0000007B BSOD at the end anyway.

Forgot to mention:

• BIOS setup for AHCI mode
  • Legacy Only, with MBR (turn off UEFI)
  • turn off ACPI from BIOS and by pressing F5 as well to make sure “Standard PC”
  • medium Using CD to install XP
  • use a “clean” (untouched) XP SP3 image as source and started each time from scratch without loading any nLite presets or executing any other nLite tasks.
  • AMD SATA Controller setting AHCI
  • Also tried after disabling most of the extra options from BIOS, did not help.
  • I tried mod+signed

Any suggestions? Thank you

@rmmorshed

I am pretty sure, that you are right regarding the second AMD AHCI Controller. It is a StoreMI one.
My advice: Remove the device, which is connected to the StoreMI Controller or disable the Controller from within the “Storage Devices” section of the BIOS.

Hi Fernando,
I don’t have any option in BIOS to turn off StoreMI! (Pictures attached)
I have only the option to disable and Enable the SATA port. The SSD does not found when disabling the SATA port.

Do you have any other Ideas?
or do you know any other AM4 motherboard which will support Ryxen 5 5600 CPU for windows WP?

I really appreciate your help, Thank you

Not really. Although I have an AMD X570 chipset PC, I have never tried to get Windows XP installed onto it (I will never try to do it).
My advice: Ask your grandfather or an old friend for a 2 decades old computer.

By the way - what about the M.2 SSD, which is connected to the SATA Port3 or the M.2_2 slot?
Does it use the AHCI or the NVMe data transfer protocol?

Thanks for your advice :wink:
Actually, this is a customer project (Windows XP and Windows 10 dual boot in an SSD). The customer wants to play some old games on Windows XP. He doesn’t want VM because some games do not work weel on VM though I did not try.

The SP 512GB M.2 SATA SSD is connected to the SATA Port3. and it is under AHCI.

I just tried the IOS 64bit with " [>Universal 64bit AMD AHCI driver v1.2.1.321 mod+signed by me<]"

It did not give me the BSOD 07B but it says the file amd_sata.sys is corrupted

@rmmorshed
The STOP 0x0000007B BSOD indicates, that at least 1 of the loaded/integrated storage driver(s) doesn’t match the HardwareIDs of the Storage Controller, which is managing the target system drive (drive C:).
The message “The file xyz.sys is corrupted.” usually indicates, that the architecture (32/64bit) of the related storage driver doesn’t match the architecture (32/64bit) of the OS.

Hello all,
I need an AHCI driver for Windows XP on an ASRock motherboard (FM2A58M-DG3+). The chipset is: AMD A58 FCH (Bolton-D2).

Does anyone have any idea where I can get this from?

Thanks…

@Emmett
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
I have moved your post into this much better matching thread. You can find the requested AMD AHCI driver for Windows XP within the start post.
Good luck and Happy New Year!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you very much for the answer. What exactly is meant by “Startpost” and where can I find it? Maybe someone can email me the driver. I had already tried a few drivers from here, but they didn’t work (see links)

[email protected]

The “start post” is the thread opener (first post of it).

Thank you sir

I could not find this package:
“Universal 32bit AMD AHCI driver v12.1.321 mod+signed by me”

Did you meat these files:

PS: I have a 64bit system / machine