How to TAKE AFFECT!! on moded aptio V bios(asus)

hello guys
I found a strange problem and don’t know if anywhere discussed about it.
This is about Using /GAN and successfully flashed BUT MODED BIOS iS NOT TAKING AFFECT!!
motherboard model: Z170-K-ASUS
bios build:3610: Apto version V
EXAMPLE: I enabled the bios “Intel virtualization Technology” via using AMIBCP mode tool and then Flashed it with /GAN, Rebooted it and dumped the bios.It clearly showing “Intel virtualization Technology” Enabled BUT “Intel virtualization Technology” actually not affecting and it still in disabled somewhere!!!
so How do i successfully flash with /GAN and make it affect? do I need to flash other part like /K none critical blocks /E embeded controal Block /ME blocks or microchip flash?

@superb123 - Are you using AMIBCP 4.55 version? Send me your modified BIOS, I will change this setting in all areas, then you can test flash again.
Then if still nothing, we will know your flash method is only appearing to flash, but is not actually flashing anything. Sometimes this happens with AFU, especially if using some older version not meant for your BIOS @ ones that allow /GAN
If we find this to be the case, then I will help you to dump BIOS and reflash via FPT

Apologies again for the deleted topic earlier!

No I used AMIBCP 5.02 as AMIBCP 4.55 do not support Aptio version V.
Those dump file PMed

@superb123 - Sorry about the AMIBCP version, I was looking at wrong BIOS when I mentioned that to you
This setting should be visible to you in the BIOS already, correct? This shouldn’t require a BIOS mod, unless it’s hidden? If it’s hidden, we can unhide later if you want

Here, to save some time, please test this BIOS, I edited setup only. If it still doesn’t enable for you I will edit all NVRAM entries, then nothing left can be disabled so it would have to be enabled.
Be careful how you flash this, ME Region is empty (ie flash main block only) - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…123789344398974

* Edit @superb123 - So, I checked all NVRAM and StdDefaults, and it was already enabled in the two internal StdDefaults areas, but disabled in both NVRAM volumes (x2 in each setup entry) So, here is BIOS with previous enabled in setup +4 enabled edits in NVRAM
This will require you to ensure AFU flashes NVRAM area (use /N switch) - or stop using AFU and use FPT @ BIOS region only highly suggested
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…819593486112727

yes This setting is visible in the BIOS already, I trying to test and learning about how AFU /GAN with moded bios flash works with bios function, is it correctly flash everything or not.
Anyway I will update the result very soon with your new moded bios flash file.
thanks

I thought it should be visible already So probably the setup module holding a disabled setting, or the NVRAM entries causing the visible BIOS setting to not have any effect.
I suggest not using AFU especially /GAN, that is meant for older BIOS, but you’ve already used here and no brick so OK so far I suppose.
Be sure to see my edit above, I added second BIOS for you too.

after flashed with with /Gan technique using your setup +4 enabled edits in NVRAM rom file, it remain same none functional.
I PMing you the latest dump file after flashed with NVRAM edited rom file for check if /GAN actually edited the NVRAM region area because I don’t know how to check that area, i still learning.

@superb123 - What CPU do you have? Maybe your CPU doesn’t support this, that would be odd in this modern age, but you never know.
Also, how are you checking if this is enabled? Because if /GAN method did flash NVRAM, then there’s no way it can be disabled (all places it’s now disabled x 8 instances and that’s all there is)

If you did not use /N switch before /GAN, it may not be flashing NVRAM, we’ll see, checking your dump now. Please zip or rar anymore files you send, thanks.
I checked, NVRAM changes not flashed over, but setup module changes did go in properly, so this is controlled solely by NVRAM on your system.
Try /N in front of /GAN then if it fails, you’ll have to FPT flash BIOS region instead, which I would have and have been suggesting from the get-go.

I used that method afuwin.rom /GAN /N maybe it is wrong.I will use now afuwin.rom /N /GAN next time and update the result asap.

the processor using : i7-6700K and it definitely has Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/88195/intel-core-i7-6700k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

anyway How can i check myself that NVRAM changes and setup module changes through bios dump file?is there any tutorial about this.

EDIT*
I tried flash with FPT but bios protection blocking it,maybe I have to go with grub boot to remove protection and then flash.BUT This time I like to stick with /GAN

Sorry, I don’t know any tutorial about NVRAM editing, but I made one for BIOS Lock which you’ll need to change before you can flash via FPT. That guide will also show you how you can check setup module for virtualization setting (same way as guide for BIOS lock setting)
Slow down, you should not be trying FPT so quickly, I’ve not gave you any instructions, unless you already know all about using FPT. You have to be careful, FPT will brick your board in one click, so do not use without knowing what you’re doing, and never go ahead with flash if it gives you size warning.

Did you get error 168? If yes, how to remove lock is below (or you can disable in setup module, flash with /GAN, then it will be removed and you can FPT)
I highly suggest forgetting about using AFU as soon as you can, this is not safe for you to keep using and obviously it’s not working anyway, so get sorted out so you can use FPT method instead.

Here is how to use FPT - Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64 and on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C” download the matching ME System Tools Package (ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command. >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error, if you do show me image of the command entered and the error give >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin

Make a copy of the biosreg.bin file, and edit this with whatever you want edited, this will be the only file you use with FPT

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

Here is guide on how to disable BIOS lock, and with this same method you can check current virtualization setting in setup module
[GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash

You’re BIOS lock variable to change >> 0x8A6
Rename the .efi file to >> Shell.efi

So, at grub prompt you’ll type the following >> setup_var 0x8A6 0x0

Then, once done, you can flash BIOS region via FPT

Or, here, if that is too involved for you, flash this in with /GAN and then stop using AFU
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…376973360678408

This has BIOS Lock disabled, and that will remain in BIOS unless you flash in some other BIOS with BIOS Lock enabled again
So what to do here is this, flash this via /GAN to get BIOS lock disabled in there, then reboot to windows and flash it again via FPT to get NVRAM changes in >> FPTw.exe -bios -f afuwinMNVR.rom (May need to rename to .bin)

so here is the story.
Now afu successfully flashed NVRAM using comand afuwin64 afuwinMNVRBL.rom /N /GAN (it clearly shown NVRAM flash …done)
then rebooted but still no luck :((((
then i tried to use FPT to flash unlocked bios(afuwinMNVRBL.rom already flashed by /GAN and rebooted) but showing same message "Error 368: Failed to disable write protection for the BIOS space"

here is the dump file after flashed with afuwinMNVRBL.rom, hope in this dump NVRAM changes.pls check it
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…575538295713271
PMed too

Ha, BIOS Lock probably used from NVRAM too, instead of setup, sorry I didn’t think of that. However, now you got it all flash in since you saw NVRAM get flashed, however I just compared and only one NVRAM volume was flashed in, other remains the same.
SO, FPT will have to be used to get all NVRAM in there properly. I will make you new file now with BIOS Lock disabled in NVRAM areas too, please wait.

@superb123 - here, flash on with /N /GAN then once done, flash via FPTw.exe -bios -f afuwinMNVRBL2.rom
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…698497279329762

Then, after that, don’t use AFU anymore

If you still get error 368, you may need programmer, due to how this BIOS is pulling settings from various regions which you don’t seem to be able to flash easily

I was busy anyway
it looks like no luck is common for aptio V :((
once again no luck. still getting "Error 368: Failed to disable write protection for the BIOS space"
I giving you the dump file again(after flashed with afuwinMNVRBL2.rom) to check if BIOS Lock disabled in NVRAM areas too along with setup area.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…287339643739398

@superb123 - I’ve NEVER had any issues like this on Aptio V, nor any Z170-* this Asus series, and I help people with these boards all wee long. Something going on with your BIOS, likely due to you initially flashing and continuing to flash with /GAN (Initial main issue, latter = doesn’t matter now / too late )
Reflash stock BIOS with EZ Flash, then disable BIOS lock via grub with setup_var, then FPT flash the last BIOS I sent you. That is all that’s ever needed to FPT flash on Asus boards, even now on Asus latest Z270/Z370 etc.

No need to check file, I know outcome since you did not FPT flash again yet, however I checked, even NVRAM volume one does not match now (added chunk of garbled data that shouldn’t be there ie corruption or something), and does not match what you gave it.
2 x areas inside BIOS region are all now changed properly, but that always happened.

Since you seem to be stuck to having to use AFU for some reason, did you try the method using AFUWinGUi where you flash stock BIOS and then without reboot flash mod BIOS (Put back into a capsule)?
Try that, check Program Main Block + NVRAM (Do not check “capsule” or “restart” with either file). Use same version AFUWinGUI from the folder you’re using /GAN from, what is that anyway, what version and are you using command line in windows or DOS?
Here is mod BIOS put back into capsule, ONLY for this purpose, do not use with FPT and it will not work with EZ Flash -

Above comment on flashing stock BIOS via EZ Flash, then BIOS Unlock via grub, then FPT flash should be all you need to do, so try that first before continuing with the above AFU suggestion.
Looks like I missed on entry NVRAM area for BIOS lock (Sorry!!), so only use these files from now on, sorry about that!
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…713015442886167

before going to further action, I want to make sure these two settings

full resolution link

https://ibb.co/s3tRMNh

and another

full resolution link

https://ibb.co/VV5JyTJ

are those settings related with 368 bios lock?

I am currently busy right now and away from this pc. I will update more when i have a free time.

On your images, yes, I disabled those already too, but maybe I forgot in last rebuild?

I already checked all afuwinMNVRBL.rom afuwinMNVRBL1.rom afuwinMNVRBL2.rom and afuwinMNVRBL3.rom files and all shown "bios lock enabled on optimal"

Then disable, maybe I missed. That does not go into NVRAM anyway, this change in AMIBCP goes into AMITSE/SetupData, of which we’ve not seen any of your settings being pulled from for actual usage.

hi I keep learning,anyway
How did you manage to get in NVRAM areas to manage BIOS Lock disabled? I already study your tutorial here [GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 280 or 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash but there only telling how to BIOS Lock disabled in SETUP zone area, not in NVRAM area

I have both UEFITool_Alpha and UEFITool and found bios lock in setup area only. I don’t know where is bios lock in NVRAM areas

Edit**
i still away from this pc,did not have a time