[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@Dabman :
If I would have had the intention to modify the BIOS on request myself, I wouldn’t have spent several days of my free time to write the related guide (= start post of this thread). So my answer to your question is: "No."
The only help I am offering is, that I will check the attached/linked modded BIOS and give my evaluation of the BIOS, which has been modified by the user.

@Fernando :
well I did it on few MB but on that one i have a problem, is any database with working/modified bioses?

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by direcly addressing (to save space)

EDIT:
Nevermind, done :slight_smile:
thanks for tutorial

@Dabman :
Which problem did you get after having flashed your modded BIOS?
By the way - you can search for an already modded BIOS for the related mainboard within >this< Sub-Forum, but there is no guarantee, that it will work with your specific mainboard as well.

on CH341 i had strange issue, all the time when i modded bios and write to memory i had problem with booting (red light on memory test)
All the time veryfication went ok, after i believe over than 10 times it work.

EDIT: but speed is 1600MB/s read and same write. Does not matter if im using in bios PCI-E on auto or Gen 3
also on PCI-e 1x is WiFi which i try to take out so RX 580 + adapter m.2 to PCI-e is present and write/read speed only 1.6GB/s on 970 Evo Plus 500GB with latest bios
Photo of adapter which im using
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/…AC_SL1500.jpg

I almost sure that u r only getting speeds as PCIe2.0 x4…and by the way wasn’t there any other option on that adapter…that’s a nice piece of junk, my opinion only. If u set PCIe to Auto or Gen3 it will not matter, 2nd or 3rd PCIex16. I could be wrong…i believe we r talking of a P8Z77-V LX…

@MeatWar :
yeap, so adapter is the issue of speed?

@Dabman :
Since the choice of the best suitable PCIe slot and/or PCIe>M.2 adapter is not the topic of this thread, you should better post your related questions into >this< this Sub-Forum.

This photo doesn’t say anything regarding the supported data transfer standard. Instead of posting the photo it would have been better to post the manufacturer and the exact model name of the adapter or the Amazon link to the product.

Fernando is right…its only a foto and don’t u even think that the adapter uses more than PCIex4.
When IvyBridge/Panter Point came out in the market only with a 3rd gen i5 the PCIe3.0 lanes could be enable, below that with 3rd gen i3 ou 2nd gen processors, by default all was set to PCIe2.0.
So with 3rd gen Core i5 or higher u get 1 x16 or 2 x8 or 1 x8 + 2 x4 PCIe 3.0 8(GT\s) lanes, below that u get PCIe2.0 (5GT\s), even then, there is the specific motherboard model by the manufacturer side.
The real test for u regarding ur adapter, is using a PCIe3.0 enable processor with integrated HD Graphics and testing it on PCIex16_1 and 2, ull get the all picture.
Use AIDA64 or HWInfo…it will report the PCIe interface negotiation.
A side note…SandyBrige-E (X79) doesn’t have any problems with cheap adapters (om my side, i’ve done several test with different adapters).
And that’s it…nothing more u can do with 2012 chipset/hardware, remember that what Fernando offers in this topic IS as it IS…

Hello, thanks for the excellent guide. Just wanted to ask about an issue I’ve been running into after flashing my MSI B75A-G43 board. The modded BIOS was created with MMTool using the latest BIOS (E7758IMS.AA0 - https://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7758vAA.zip) with the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs file placed near the end of volume 1 after MFLASHDXE but before the pad (zipped file exceeds attachment limit, but modded BIOS was byte-for-byte identical to one @Fernando posted earlier in this thread).
After flashing that BIOS, I was able to boot from my NVMe device, but the system had problems with waking from sleep and rebooting. I created another mod using UEFITool to place NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs at the end of volume 1 (after the pad, and raw files that follow MFLASHDXE), but that bricked my system. I was able to recover by flashing the unmodded BIOS using an external SPI programmer.

Even after restoring the BIOS, I’m seeing issues with sleep/reboot. When booting, there is a delay of about 60 seconds before a message that reads “ME FW update failed, please try again” appears. I see this issue now regardless of BIOS version (modded, unmodded, older BIOS versions) and regardless of how it was flashed (M-Flash utility vs SPI flash). When using SPI flash, I’ve verified that I can read the memory contents, and they match the BIOS being written. It also happens both with and without the NVMe device’s presence. In any case, everything seems to work fine other than that long delay and ME FW issue during boot (which sort of eliminates one of the benefits of NVMe boot). Has anyone seen this happen, or have any ideas on what the issue could be?

EDIT by Fernando: Not working link removed

@SomeGuy :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report! I am sorry about your problems.
As first step I recommend to check the version and integrity of the currently in-use Intel ME Firmware and Intel ME Driver. For details please look into the start post of >this< thread. Additional questions regarding the Intel ME driver and software should be asked within the linked thread.
If the sleep mode and reboot problems should not be completely solved after having customized the Intel ME driver and Firmware, I recommend to temporarily disable the hibernation option (command: powercfg.exe /hibernate off).
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Most likely Intel ME FW corruption, better check in bios if version of FW is displayed as NA or blank.

Thank you for this great forum.

I bought a Crucial P1 M.2 1TB NVMe drive and connected it to an ASUS P8B75-M using an NVMe PCIe adapter. It was detected by my existing OS and I was able to install Fedora Linux from the bootable install media. However, I cannot boot from it and after a bit of searching reached this forum. As per the instructions I got the latest BIOS from ASUS (version 1701), added the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs it using the MMTool (v4.50.0.23) and created the new file P8B75.CAP. Could not install this using the ASUS EZ Update due to security failure so extracted it to ROM format using UEFITool. I created a bootable DOS flash drive using unetbootin and flashed the bios using “afudos.exe p8b75.rom /GAN”. All 4 steps ran successfully.

However, after a reboot, I still don’t see the PATA SS drives in the BOOT section. I can still see the drive connected when booking from another drive. I’m not sure where I have gone wrong. I have attached the stock and the modified BIOS files. Please can someone help?

P8B75cap.zip (3.48 MB)

P8B75rom.zip (3.48 MB)

P8B75-M-ASUS-1701.zip (3.47 MB)

@Javed :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
After having checked your modded BIOS I can tell you, that the NVMe module has been inserted correctly.
So I suspect, that the BIOS flashing procedure failed for unknown reason.
Please look into the start post of >this< thread and try one of the other options for ASUS mainboards to get the modded BIOS properly flashed.
Good luck and happy Easter!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi @Fernando !
I have a Biostar H61MHV V7.0 mobo. Does this trick work on it?

@quanghuy226 :
Yes, it will work. I just have tested it. You may have to insert the "small" variant of the NVMe module (due to the very limited space within the DXE Driver Volume), unless you remove any unneeded DXE Driver module.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Oh, I’ve thought it wouldn’t work since this mobo doesn’t have UEFI. Thank you so much @Fernando !

I tried to follow the procedure with my laptop Lenovo Yoga 710-14IKB but UEFITool gives me the error “Invalid UEFI Volume” when opening the file.

From what I’ve seen in the BIOS settings it’s an InsydeH2O. Is there a way to add NVMe support by modifying the BIOS?

@OskarLGS :
This thread and the guide (= start post) is only valid for AMI UEFI BIOSes.

There may be a (much more complicated) way, but I don’t know it.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando :

Thank you very much for the answer, I wanted to change my SSD M.2 SATA 250 GB. for a M.2 NVMe 500 GB. but if it is not relatively easy I will opt for another SSD M.2 SATA.

I am having a similar issue on a P8Z77-V LK motherboard. I do not see the “PATA SS” option even though I added the nvme driver to the BIOS file (attached).
I am trying to get Windows 10 booting from an NVMe drive, it installed fine (I know nvme is connected right) but isn’t showing up in the BIOS for booting.

I tried modding the latest BIOS from Asus but it wouldn’t let me EZFlash for security reasons, at this point I flashed the official latest version just to be closer to my eventual goal. I then tried…

afuwinx64.exe latest.CAP
afuwinx64.exe latest(mod).ROM /GAN

and that gave me a file size mismatch, even though Windows shows the same file size! From there I pulled the existing ROM using...

afuwinx64.exe extraced.ROM /O

added the nvme driver and was able to successfully flash with...

afuwinx64.exe extracted(mod).rom /GAN

I am pretty sure I am doing everything according to the instructions. Last year I successfully modded a P8Z68-V LX and am booting Arch Linux with that fine. Does anyone have any suggestions I can try? Thank you

#### Update ####
I was able to get a modded BIOS installed using ASUS AI Suite. Thanks for the great guide and links!

mod.zip (4.38 MB)