HP Pavilion dv6-6c12ed disable /remove AMD gpu (insyde bios)

YES !! I got it
cloned some hex settings from other HP bios. And off course the help of Lost_N_Bios
Now got advanced menu and I am able to disable AMD gpu

017FC_SLIC.rar (2.26 MB)

Great you got it! Now, two things, please tell me outcome of BIOS I posted above, so I will know method to use in fixing BIOS later for others, hope you don’t mind, thanks!
This will also maybe help us decide/find out if previous edits were bad causing the non-boot, or if RSA was the issue.

And then, tell me what you did you were just excited about that fixed the menu’s for you.

yes sure, I will test that later, first test the laptop with some new installs.
I am sure this has to to with RSA check in the bios, as extra from the flasher btw. This old version does not have that as you prodicted.
used andy tool and modified windows inside flasher, mod based on hp sp55068 bios. There I had stock and modified version of it. So I programed nothing I was lifting on others work.
oh I also followed this : https://web.archive.org/web/201410100455…power-tabs.html

I believe:
Advanced > Video configuration > special features to disabled and , internal grap dev. to (rc6) disabled. rest is untouched, regarding the video.

Wish would be a newer bios but ok, result are here now.

compare_rom.png

YOu may be able to use a newer edited BIOS now, programmed in, you’d have to test that but after we figure out results from my BIOS above so we know which method is proper way to do it.
Thanks for the info, I will look into all that tonight. I see NOP NOP in your image, bypassing some restriction at an original JZ/jump location, so I do recognize what’s being used there (in assembly)

can you explain that a bit ? on what way is there rsa check then skipped ? it’s in the flash bios right. So then I don’t understand why it would work, via the windows flasher or the complete rom via the usb programmer.
Yes correct it seems al the magic is done in FE3542FE-C1D3-4EF8-657C-8048606FF670 for the this HP serie

What I do understand is if you disablete the signiture check a mod bios will work for this laptop types.

what tools do you use btw ?

edit:
did the same with fb1 (newest) and that gave a blank non bootable laptop

I assume, there is no RSA check internally in this BIOS, So this one can be programmed in modified and it’s fine. You’ll have to test that and confirm.
The edited flasher allows modified BIOS to be flashed RSA or not this is a security check bypass, I mean that is usually needed for these BIOS even when they are not RSA signed, otherwise you have to use non-Intel flash tool or programmer.
This is normal for many Insyde BIOS, HP, Acer, etc, similar to how with Asus BIOS you can only flash in certain methods once BIOS is edited.

Did you test the four BIOS I sent above? If yes what is the results? If you have not, please do once you get a chance, thanks

From your FB1 test, sounds like this particular one (like 99% of the others), once RSA is introduced inside the BIOS you cannot modify it. You can flash it in with a modified flashing package, or program in, but once the check runs in the BIOS routine at startup it’s a brick/no boot
I only assumed we’d be able to avoid that by flashing older, then newer because in some cases this is possible (must be less than 5-10% I suppose, I don’t see it often), but thought maybe it would be true for this board since you linked someone saying that.
But I guess there’s no proof of success afterwards, and or it may have only applied to a few older>>Newer BIOS back then, but now does not apply to the newest versions available now.

On donovan6000’s guide, and what you used on the menu edits - He edited the jump (74 = JZ - jump if) saying he would change first to unconditional jump (EB= jump no matter what), and second JZ to NOP (90 = No operation possible, skip and move to next instruction).
You NOP’d both, while that may work you probably should have used EB on the first one (or how ever many JZ jumps there was before that skipping menu entries), changing only the first byte 74 to EB, and then NOP NOP/9090 the last jump that skipped a menu entry editing both bytes

I use all kinds of tools, depending on what kind of BIOS I’m editing, and what I’m trying to do at the time, what in particular do you mean?

I wish there was a way to disbale that check by comparing the f02 and f1c with some nop or super jump EB
I tried to follow the guide but I could not find the code to edit and with the other found bios is was a match to edit, and just did what the other guy did, 90 90 and surpringly it dit work :slight_smile:

yes did some tests:

f02-H2OFixCRCc does post, with amd
2-H2O-Only.bin does post, but not after f10 save changes (once), with amd
f02-PT-PadBKViaHex.bin does post, with amd

I had once installed ida but that is to complicated for me.
Maybe there are more gui tools for bios files, for eacxmple to view CT number serial etc, that could be helpfull by branding a HP laptop.

ok we have a final now.

after updating from f02 to f12 to f1b to f1c all settings are preseverd, so all ok ! :slight_smile:
if you look into the bios advanced menu is gone BUT in you press f10 + A you will get advanced menu …

over and out

@jeroenvtec - Thanks for testing report back, so this one does not post I assume (Didn’t think it would due to missing padding file) >> bios-read-dv6-f02-ok (first one in the PT folder, I forgot to rename it), I assume this one will fail but it would be good to know outcome
So from your results minus the one missing, it looks like EXH2O is OK to edit menu settings with as long as you correct the setup CRC32 afterward, and PhoenixTool Structure edit like using UEFITool OK too as long as you put the missing padding file back it drops on save
So either all previous fails were due to strict RSA BIOS before, or UEFITool is dropping that padding (Non-UEFI-Data) I mentioned, will have to check and see (Confirmed it does not). All due to RSA previous, but now you’ve fixed this I think!

I think, with settings my way, we’d also have to disable direct PCIE port used by the card. Since I do leave SG set and switchable graphics enabled, I guess disabling “always enabled PEG” is not enough that way, that’s why I asked you to find which port it was using, 4-8 disabled already, but 1-4 still enabled.
“Internal Graphics Device” setting is the IGD, and RC6 is a render standby setting, neither of those should disable or affect AMD, and disable internal graphics device would make it AMD only (Says IGD right on the setting).
Special features to disabled makes sense, that would disable switchable processing, but still leave SG enabled. Open BIOS with EZH2O and you’ll see that Internal one is for IGD (not AMD)

So you can you edit your current dump now and program it back and it still boots? If yes, then send me a dump and I will redo the JZ edits for you again, and show you where it is.
I used to think the same about IDA, and tried many others instead, only making it worse, and now after many fruitless attempts at looking in and trying to use IDA I can finally use it and make some progress. I think you just have to keep playing around in it for a while before it becomes helpful
In his guide I meant he did not use 9090 for both jumps like you did, he used 9090 for first jump and EBxx (leaving original second byte as-is) for last jump, so yours would be 9090 then EB45 based on your images

If editing your image now and programming it back fails, then we’ll have to go back to 02, then edit the final BIOS and flash it in same way you flashed up to final now, but this time instead using the modified one as last flash in.

Only GUI tool for this BIOS is EZH2O, aside from UEFITool - latest public versions you can get here, to go releases tab for all tools in zipped package - https://github.com/mikebdp2/Insider_BIOS_Tools

Hi Can you provide the 1.29 version that gets to POST?
I’m in same situation, DV6-6100CTO set to PEG with DONOVAN bricked. Using prog clip, no bios get to post only caps lock flash once.
Also, can you post a F12 bios?

@Ninjaman - if you are asking me to provide you some BIOS, please tell me what post # here has dead link and I will reupload for you.
Or did you mean CH341A software? If yes, first thing that has nothing to do with gets to post or not, any version will get you to a post provided you have selected the correct chip ID (Sometimes exact is not correct one) and wrote in a correct valid file and it verified after writings
If you are programming in a valid BIOS, then not verifying the programming after writing, that’s the issue, you can’t check by writing to chip then trying to post only, you need to verify the write.
Here is package with all versions - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…257455007472602

"Hi Can you provide the 1.29 version that gets to POST?
I’m in same situation, DV6-6100CTO set to PEG with DONOVAN bricked. Using prog clip, no bios get to post only caps lock flash once.
Also, can you post a F12 bios?"

Hi @Ninjaman ,

Did you manage to unbrick your laptop?

you can try the bios on page 3 (HP Pavilion dv6-6c12ed disable /remove AMD gpu (insyde bios) (3))
also remove cmos battery for a while then try to boot again. For sure try also vga and or hdmi, do always a fresh start when connected.

@milos_g ^^

Hello friends ! It is possible to make for me a working version for disable whitelists on this bios ? i have one version with disabling wifi whitelist but unfortunly there are also whitelist for bluetooth, but no contact for anyone who can make it. Of course i can pay but i need to be sure there is someone who can make it for me. I can send bios version which I have and it will be simpler

@wojtoosh - send me your dumped BIOS, and an image of the exact error you get when trying to use Bluetooth that gives you error

@Lost_N_BIOS Hi! Thank you for your response. I attached the bios which I use and photo

2019-05-10 20.27.29.jpg

017FC.rar (2.26 MB)

@wojtoosh - I need actual dump of your BIOS, not BIOS extracted from partial BIOS update/download from HP

If your system is Intel based, check to see if it has Intel ME FW, if it does use FPT to dump BIOS, here’s how - Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64 and on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version. Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C” download the matching ME System Tools Package (ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

If your system does not have Intel ME, try to dump BIOS with Universal BIOS backup Toolkit - this will set off virus warning, so disable before you download and use.
Also, you cannot move it’s window when using, open it, press read, then once it’s done press backup button when it appears, and send me the file.
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details…up_toolkit.html

Also, if you are not on very old BIOS, this is best done with a programmer, due to RSA signing, and you need to flash back to oldest BIOS first to do the mod.

Hi, friend.

deleted

Thanks for your information, taking advantage of the thread I am trying to deactivate the integrated GPU to leave the dedicated one as unique

I extracted the file rom using the majorgeeks program

some chance to achieve it I offer to experiment with my laptop

Insyde-F.2A.rar (2.31 MB)