HP ProDesk 400 G2 MT NVme Boot Support

Hi.

I have been succesfully gone with add on a NVme UEFI boot on “common” motherboard such ASUS MSI Asrock atc…

now i have a HP brend desktop (MS-7860 ver 1.2) using a I7 4770 CPU and inside Bios i see clearly secure boot option.

Is it possible to add a NVme module into Bios ?

Which tools must be used to extract (read) the onboard Bios ROM, add the NVme module and flash the Bios back on the Mobo?

thank’s for kind help/answers.

Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64 and on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C” download the matching ME System Tools Package (ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error, if you do show me image of the command entered and the error given >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin
^^ This is important step, don’t forget ^^

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

Or here is simply registry edit that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu
Double-click to install, reboot after install may be required
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…134606820377175

Hi. thank’s for answering
The main bios screen do not report any ME info.
HWinfo report what below

As i understood is a 9 version so, following your link i should use this package right?
Intel ME 9.5 1.5MB Firmware v9.5.60.1952
For 8-series systems which run ME 1.5MB v9.5

thank’s

@Lost_N_BIOS

---------------

here is the extracted file with FPTw64.exe

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…217448504422523

@Lost_N_BIOS

----------------

the flashing attemp report an error
here a screenshot

@Lost_N_BIOS

Please edit your posts when you need to add more info and no one has replied yet

For error 280, we may be able to get around, or possibly not, I will have to check your BIOS and give you info to try and see if we can disable or not. If not, you will need flash programmer (Ch341A or similar) + SOIC8 test clip with cable.

* Edit - Here is guide on how to use Grub with setup_var
[GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 280 or 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash

Rename your .efi file to >> Shellx64.efi

SMI and BIOS Lock variables to disable
SMI Lock >> 0x96
BIOS Lock >> 0x97

So, at grub prompt, you will type the following one at a time, enter between each.
setup_var 0x96 0x0
setup_var 0x97 0x0

Then once done, boot back to windows, dump BIOS region again with FPT (delete previous one), and then try to write it back, if that succeeds, send me the new BIOS region dump.

Sorry you right…
i’ll be waiting for yout info.

regards

Please see my edited reply above

* Edit - Here is guide on how to use Grub with setup_var
[GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 280 or 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash

i’m afraid it goes a bit over my ability…
point 2of the guide is already a bif confusing for me…
Find setup module : How can i know which is the string i need to look for in my BIOS?

Is possible to give you Anydesk/Teamviewer access to the HP desktop tpo make this step?

@Lost_N_BIOS

@toxstoxs - Sorry, I forgot to mention, you can start at step 6, since I already gathered the info/variables (above) you need to continue with changing the settings. Sorry about that

in point 15 i must write the previously written instructions?

setup_var 0x96 0x0
setup_var 0x97 0x0

The main problem is that… after disabling the secure boot option into bios… i do not have any bios option lo lunch a EFI SHELL

I made a USB UEFI shell disk
here is my root usb drive files that include also bios rom and some tools of the guide.

Booting from it i get this… is what i need to continue in bios mod?

ok i managed to replace the EFI shell file with the GRUB one.
I booted and made the 2 changes that you described be at the beginning :

setup_var 0x96 0x0

setup_var 0x97 0x0

with relatives responce from PC

then i try to READ again the Bios Region succesfully.

but the flash attempt return a slightly different answer :

@Lost_N_BIOS

You should have the launch to shell on your BIOS exit page, I checked your BIOS settings (but maybe it’s hidden from you) Anyway, luckily you finally got to grub
PRR/FPRR - Error 28 - New final error is expected, this is not something you can get around without flash programmer, it’s a file I would have to edit for you and then you flash or program back in, before it would be gone.
Only way around that is flash programmer, or possibly if stock flasher is AFU you can use risky old AFU flash method, or possibly if flasher is other than AFU it maybe could be modified to work (None of this ideal, or likely, but we can check)
Please link me to the latest stock BIOS for this system from HP’s site and I will check.

Meantime, you should order CH341A + SOIC8 test clip with cable, these are less than $7 shipped (total for both) on ebay shipped slowest method, but you can get them elsewhere or on ebay shipped faster for more $$
It’s either this, or you can use the NVME boot from USB methods below
[Guide] NVMe-boot without modding your UEFI/BIOS (Clover-EFI bootloader method)
[Guide] NVMe-boot for systems with legacy BIOS and older-UEFI (DUET-REFIND)

@Lost_N_BIOS

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…243151981855473

here is the latest Stock HP Bios package.
The one i upgraded to… before thinking to Add the NVme boot support.

Please link me to the latest stock BIOS for this system from HP’s site and I will check.

CLICK

here above is the direct HP link page.

thank’s

@Lost_N_BIOS

Thanks. I cannot tell default flash method being used for this other than HP’s OEM Stuff (re-wrapped something likely, probably AFU)
We will have to make BIOS mod, and then you try to flash in DOS AND in Windows, and show me error screen for both, then maybe I can work around it (edit flasher, bypass the check causing error)
Here is mod BIOS with NVME Mod done, please test flashing with DOS and show me error screen.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…721752903537471

For DOS, make bootable USB then copy all contents of DOS Flash folder to USB and boot to DOS and enter >> dosflash /f flshuefi.cpu L02
For windows >> Never mind, I see this has signature check, much easier to try DOS method instead, plus it’s easier to modify that flash tool too.

thank’s … will do it tomorrow morning.

Unfortunately… Image error returned.

@Lost_N_BIOS

@toxstoxs
Besides "0x96 0x0" and "0x97 0x0",just try to hit "0x288 0x1".And try to flash the modded bios angin.
It quite seems like 480 G1 which mobo called "MS-7932",but I failed to flash in it.
And the code was the same as 600 G1 and 800 G1 which were failed too by hit the code above.May you be successful!

@gloobox - 0x288 = ME FW Re-Flash on this model, nothing to do with flashing BIOS, but that would allow you to reflash ME FW region with FPT. Only way it would allow BIOS FPT flash is if it took down entire FD locks, which I doubt.

@toxstoxs - thanks, I will check and see if I can bypass
*Edit - here, replace dosflash and try again, show me error page only if error
copy original to other folder so you know which is which, then rename this one to original name
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…647981443538441

@Lost_N_BIOS
I did the trick in HP 280 pro.So I think it may have something to do with it.

Edit:
Besides,I show you the pic of flashing the modded bios of MS-7932.
[[File:QQ???20190616135520.jpg|none|auto]]

QQ?????20190616135520.jpg

So, on HP 280, ME Re-Flash allowed BIOS region re-write via FPT? And it was NO before that? If yes, then maybe it will work, I’ll have him test next, thanks