Intel (CS)ME, (CS)TXE, (CS)SPS, GSC, PMC, PCHC, PHY & OROM Firmware Repositories

Could this also be added to the start posting or to the ME FW Tools thread?

Hi. This is my first post here. Yesterday I encountered one of the rarest ME versions never seen before (by myself). It comes from Apple Macbook Pro 13 with two Thunderbolt 3 ports (USB-C). Computer was sold in Jan 2017. Sorry if I’m offtopic here but I’m really lost at this point as where I can get a clean ME for this system. I searched the web and there’s no such version out there. At least, I found nothing. The version is 11.0.12.1010. I can post extract here if you want to. It’s not clean, obviously but maybe someone wants to have it. Interestingly the size is 1.2MB unlike other ME supplied with Apple laptops. Anyone knows anything about this version?

@Sergioz

Hello and thank you for your report. The firmware I have found from Apple machines are 11.0.3.1000 and 11.0.12.1002 but not 11.0.12.1010. So please upload your dump for me to keep that firmware, even if it’s not clean.

That depends. In the past, Apple was using their own ME SKUs for their mobile systems (1.5MB, 5MB, 1.5MB Apple) but I don’t know if the same applies to their SKL (ME 11.x) based systems. Finding Macbook users who can help figuring such things out is unfortunately very rare. Back to my "it depends" statement:

If Apple is using a custom ME 11.x SKU then you can only update to latter versions of the same SKU via FWUpdate (11.0.3.1000 –> 11.0.12.1002 –> 11.0.12.1010) and the firmware cannot be cleaned as seen at the cleanup guide because we lack equivalent RGN variants which we will not find because only Apple has them. In such case, one can take their official UEFI updates, extract the EXTR ME region from within (should hopefully be Configured only, not Configured+Initialized - read section A of cleanup guide) and use that as a "clean" firmware for reflash.

If Apple is not using a custom ME 11.x SKU then you can take any latter RGN from the repository and follow the cleanup guide.

To test if Apple is using a different SKU, you can try updating to a normal ME 11.0 firmware via FWUpdate and see if it works. However, make sure you can recover from bad flashes in such case via a programmer.

@plutomaniac Hi. Thanks for such a detailed answer. I removed the serial, and locks from the dump. Otherwise it’s completely working and verified dump for the following model: MBP 13 i5 2.0 Late-2016 Retina without touch bar. I flashed it successfully and it works 100%. I’d prefer you to have the whole thing, so you can extract other data whether you need it. Let me know if this works for you. Feel free to delete the attachment once you finished working with it.

Can someone point me in the general direction of what SPS image I will need for this:

MEA.JPG

@ Sergioz:

Thank you very much. Indeed posting the whole SPI image was a good idea, there was also an older CPU microcode which we didn’t have at the database, aside from the ME firmware. I’ve now added the latter to ME Analyzer. If you can recover from bad flashes and want to try if updating to newer 11.0 firmware works (to do the cleanup guide in such case) then you can follow the steps above (under Windows though). Otherwise, I thank you again for your help.

@ tojoski:

For what purpose do you need a different SPS firmware? I don’t know what you need exactly, I was never able to understand how the SPS versioning works. It’s not linear like ME and TXE firmware and also we don’t have any SPS 2 tools to work with. It’s one of the reasons as to why MEA does not support SPS firmware anymore.

@plutomaniac

I have been troubleshooting a restart / shutdown issue with this board on Windows 10, and I am at the point where I am grasping for straws.

More than likely, this is probably not related though.

If you want to reflash the SPS firmware then you should see if you can read/write at the SPS region (unlocked Flash Descriptor) by a motherboard jumper, BIOS option etc and use the one provided by the OEM. This is not relevant to this thread though.

Please send it to me Intel ME 7 Firmware Repository Pack r18 thank!
Email: (removed)

I got a notebook with Intel ME firmware 11.5.0.1058.
No clean ME firmware repository pack for 11.5.

2017-06-06 14_25_10-ME Analyzer v1.9.0.png

What’s the exact notebook model? ME 11.5 branch is dead and has been replaced by 11.6.

Lenovo IdeaPad 710S-13IKB
Motherboard: LS711 16817-1 448.0A701.0011

I do have the clean/RGN firmware for 11.5.0.1058 CON LP if you want to stay at 11.5, just know that it has been replaced by 11.6.

This is from my own notebook. I just checked the file with ME Analyzer. If you need this bios to extract ME let me know I can send to you…

2017-06-08 13_16_09-Select ME Analyzer v1.9.0.png

Thank you razor_amd for your interest in ME Analyzer and for reporting new firmware. That firmware has been found, please update MEA to the latest version.

thanks for all my friend

Did I miss something or have all links to Intel SPS firmware repositories been removed? Is there a possibility to get a link to the SPS 3.x repository?

Thanks in advance, regards!

SPS is given into two parts, Recovery and Operational. Flash Image Tool is required to build a full SPS region out of these two. I don’t know how versions work (they are not linear like ME/TXE) but I could upload them temporarily if you want. But not now, remind me in a week if you’re still interested.

Thanks a lot for your offer. I will remind you in about a week.

I found some examples of SPS firmware and could compare extracted region files to the OPR and REC parts. All the rgn-files I viewed had a double (identical) operational section (MEA says "Dual OPR") and one recovery section. But there were also differences in extracted OPR and REC sections even for the same version, depending on manufacturer. And there are 4 other sections which seem to be specific to vendor/board and SPS version.

Looking for ME 10.0.55.3000 with ROM Bypass preferably if anybody has one. Otherwise any ME 10.0.X.X with ROM Bypass.

Thanks in advance!