Intel RST EFI RAID/VMD BIOS Modules

Got it.

I’m assuming there is no difference between the two GUID’s other than compatibility with the correct board, right? They’re the same version anyway.

Yes, they just have a different header.

Now I tried inserting the ">Intel RST(e) EFI RAID “SataDriver” v13.5.0.2164 GUID 90C8D394< " in my BIOS and never saw the RAID menu.

I then tried replacing the SataDriver/RaidDriver with the “>Especially modified Intel RST(e) EFI RAID “SataDriver” v12.5.0.1815 with TRIM in RAID0 for Z68 systems<” as this was the one ney2x used in his experiment and surprisingly I got the menu that we’re looking for!

Does this tell you something? Is it pointing to the v13.x series not being compatible with 6-series board in terms of modified RaidDriver support?

That is interesting.

I am not sure about that, but it seems possible.
You may try to get the "TRIM modded" Intel RaidDriver v12.9.0.2006 inserted (by replacing the actually inserted version) and see, if it will show up as well. It is the last one, which will fully support your mainboard chipset.

EDIT:
By the way: Actually I have the vice versa phenomenon with my ASRock Z97 Extreme6 RAID0 system: It is impossible to get any Intel RAID ROM or EFI RaidDriver version below v13.0.0.2025 working. When I set CSM to prefer the LEGACY OROMs, the Intel RAID Utilities v11 or v12 series do not flash up while booting, when I disable CSM, no "Rapid Storage Technology" setting option is shown within the "BOOT" section of the UEFI BIOS.

This might actually be a better way to properly determine which oROMs and RAIDDrivers are supported for each platform since the drivers are almost universal due to the same DEV_ID being used for the last years. Interesting indeed.

@ Fernando: Have you found any Intel documentation (for OEM, confidential) that shades some light on such things? You know, like the ME OEM documentation.

No, I haven’t yet found any documentation about this topic, but today I have asked the Technical Service of ASRock for the reason why I cannot use any other Intel RAID drivers and Utilities (LEGACY/EFI) than the v13.x.x.xxxx series. I am curious about their answer.

This is indeed interesting. This is probably why the v13.x aren’t recommended for older boards like mine.

Yes, but until now I haven’t seen any statement in the internet (outside the Win-RAID Forum), that older Intel Chipset systems may get the latest Intel RAID drivers installed, but not fully supported.

Really? Crap. Some time ago I found such a package which had confidential OEM RST documentation, the oROM/EFI Driver, windows drivers & some tools (I think). Based on that we could have found a lot more old or new stuff. However, I deleted it as I thought you already knew and had such stuff. That’s unfortunate…

Regarding the ASRock support, my best guess is that unless you call/ask as a shop (distributer) the only answer you will receive is along the lines of "because it’s a new machine so it needs the newer oROMs and Drivers".

Well you won’t really see an official statement on such a thing. For example, ME v10 drivers can be installed on 6-series systems BUT the Intel OEM documentation clearly states that these drivers are for ME 8.1 and onward systems, so 7-series and up. The only reason that 6-series are supported is because of those few desktop systems that were upgraded from ME7 to ME8.

@Fernando

So what testing should we need to do to properly identify which SataDriver version is suitable for older boards and which are not?

All Intel RAID drivers and the related LEGACY/EFI RAID BIOS modules belong to a certain development branch (e.g. v12.9, v13.0, v13.1 etc.).
RAID users with a certain Intel chipset, who want to know the latest Intel ROM/EFI RaidDriver version, which may fully support their system, should check the AHCI information file (iaAHCI.inf resp. iaAHCIC.inf) of any Intel RST driver, which belongs to the same development branch as the desired Intel RAID ROM/EFI RaidDriver module. If the HardwareIDs of the specific Intel SATA AHCI Controller is not listed within the AHCI INF file, I don’t recommend to insert the related ROM/EFI module into their BIOS.
Here are some examples:

1. The latest Intel RST driver branch, which natively fully supports 5- and 6-Series Chipsets, is v12.9. That is why Intel RAID users with an Intel 5- or 6-Series Chipset cannot expect, that their RAID system will be fully supported by any Intel RAID ROM/EFI RaidDriver, which belongs to a development branch from v13.0 up.
  2. For RAID users with a 7-Series Chipset system the full support ends at the RST development branch v13.1. All later Intel RAID BIOS modules from v13.2 up may work, but probably not the best way.
  3. Vice versa I suspect according to my recent finds, that Intel 9-Series RAID systems cannot use any Intel RAID BIOS modules of the v11 and v12 Series.

If you want to test the usability of an already inserted Intel RAID ROM/EFI RaidDriver module, you should do some benchmark tests and additionally watch the stability of your RAID system.

Ok. What is the difference between the uncompressed and compressed ffs? And which one should I be using to insert?

You need to research some things before asking, they surely have been answered before. Most modules are compressed to save space, follow the excellent guides Fernando has written.

I’m following the guide to the t, the difference between the two is just not written in the OP.

Check what the module that you are going to replace is, compressed or not. Do the same. It only has to do with space constrains.

Check what the module that you are going to replace is, compressed or not. Do the same. It only has to do with space constrains.

What if you just inserted it? As you probably know, I don’t have a SataDriver in my BIOS. Also, based on the guide of Fernando you do an "insert as compressed" anyway so if you do that how does inserting (as compressed) a compressed vs. uncompressed ffs differ?

@Fernando

I just replaced the EFI Raid Driver in the BIOS to 12.9.0.2006 and that version doesn’t show the RAID menu in the BIOS also. So far the TRIM modified 12.5.0.1815 is the one that showed the menu.

plutomaniac is right: The answer can be found within the start post of this thread.
The uncompressed files are the DEFAULT ones (big advantage: the text code incl. the version can be verified by using a Hex Editor), the compressed files should be used for BIOSes with a space problem. UBU contains the compressed files to save space for the complete UBU package.
That means: Both sorts (uncompressed or compressed) can be taken by the users, who want to insert or manually update the Intel RaidDriver of their BIOS.

Questions:
1, How did you mod the BIOS? Did you insert the RaidDriver v12.9.0.2006 into the original BIOS or update the previously modded one, which already contained the RaidDriver v12.5.0.1815?
2. Did you power off the PC for a while after having flashed the modded BIOS?
3. Have you already tried to clear CMOS?

But if you use the “insert as compressed” option in MMTool, does it matter which file is used? Will it further compressed the already-compressed ffs if you use that?

1.) I only updated the previously modded one with UBU. I’m thinking that shouldn’t matter, right?
2.) Yes, I powered off the machine BEFORE and AFTER flashing, making sure to drain power (by holding the power button until the red power LED in the motherboard turns off). This was always how I do it.
3.) I haven’t tried clearing CMOS yet but when I revert to using the v.12.5.0.1815 then the menu comes back. This confirms that it is really the version that is the problem.

No, it won’t compress the compressed file. Take the uncompressed .ffs, insert it at your previously modded BIOS op top of the “working” previous version and select “Insert as Compressed”. All the other questions should be answered by Fernando as he knows best.