Intel RST EFI RAID/VMD BIOS Modules

Yes, you have to use this option, when you are going to insert an already compressed module file.
Generally I recommend to insert only uncompressed BIOS files (unless the Aptio UEFI MMTool sends the message, that there is not enough space for the insertion).
As I already have mentioned, the version and the file header will only be shown by an Hex Editor as they are, when the file is the original (uncompressed) one.

This way you don’t really power off the mainboard.
You have to pull the electricity connector from the PC.

What if I inserted an uncompressed file and then I updated it using UBU? Will it in turn be compressed?

Oh sorry, I forgot. I of coursed pulled out the power cable from the back of the computer before doing all that. So I did really power off the computer. That rules out improper flashing.

All BIOS modules, which are inserted into an UEFI BIOS, will be compressed by the AMI Aptio MMTool. So the result after inserting an uncompressed or compressed module, will probably be the same.

According to Intel documentation (and if I understood properly) this UEFI RST Menu location (which is only relevant for RAID arrays) is OEM dependent. That means each OEM must determine where to make it appear. Maybe those efi drivers you are testing are OEM modified (were taken by different OEMs) and it’s displayed at some other menu which could be from other UEFI-style menus and that’s why you cannot see it.

RST_Menu_OEM.PNG

Also stick to v12.x releases as v13 is not supported by the legacy 6-series systems. And don’t worry about compression constantly, it’s not important at all. Insert uncompressed, if MMTool complains there is no space -> insert compressed. It’s that simple.

In that case, how would one insert an uncompressed file that would remain uncompressed (like what you recommend doing)?

Well, here’s the thing. When I tried inserting v12.5, I did see the menu even not in RAID mode (AHCI). I’m not sure what that tells.

It says nothing, the menu is probably always there but either way it’s only relevant for RAID users. It’s the equivalent of Ctrl+I for legacy oROM modules. Not beneficial (useless) for AHCI. I can’t stress this enough and I won’t say it again.

This 12.5 may have been taken from an Asus RST package so it was modified by them for their UEFI-style menus and thus you can see it properly. Just speculation, I can’t help more in that regard.

This is how the MMTool GUI looked, when I successfully inserted the uncompressed TRIM modded SataDriver module v12.9.0.2006 into the BIOS of my ASUS P8Z68-V mainboard:

Important is, that you edit into the Vol. Index field the Vol. Index number of the CSMCORE file.
After having hit the "Insert" button and saved the modification you should find the SataDriver listed on the bottom of the modules, which belong to the related Vol. Index:

I totally understand that. I guess I was just confused when you said "All BIOS modules, which are inserted into an UEFI BIOS, will be compressed by the AMI Aptio MMTool."

So if I understand correctly, the insertion of the uncompressed ffs file is still exactly the same process as you would insert a compressed version of it and that is to use MMTool with the "insert as compressed" option. But the uncompressed file only has more information on it like the header.

And all ffs files inside the UBU package are compressed ffs, correct?

When you are going to insert an uncompressed FFS file, you should check the "Insert As is" option, whereas the "Insert Compressed" option should be chosen, when the FFS file you want to insert is already (pre-)compressed.

The informations, which are inside the compressed FFS file are the same as within the uncompressed FFS file, but the original text and GUID header codes cannot be read, if the FFS file has been compressed.

Correct!

While kevindd992002 tends to ask so many questions, some beyond the reasonable limit, I must admit that he is now on the edge of useless/informative.

“Insert as is” means just that, take the file and insert, don’t care if it is compressed or not, just need to be well formed ffs. “Insert compressed” means (again) just that, compress the file before inserting. While trying to insert an already compressed file, MMTool seems to be doing nothing, so there is nothing to worry. Besides, this is already done in AMD files, where MISC.BIN is already compressed from AMD, then it is again compressed in ffs. Nothing to be gain, just an increase in risk of errors due to bad decompression.

The compressed ffs must have the same header, this is a requirement and a logical step. Only its sections (but not all) will be compressed. We need to be sure the decompression is 100% accurate, so there can’t be enough checks.

I apologize, I’m just really meticulous. Let me ask you these then:

1.) What if you “insert compressed” an uncompressed file, will the file inside the BIOS be EXACTLY the same as when you “insert compressed” a pre-compressed file upon insertion?

2.) Wouldn’t it make sense to “insert as is” a pre-compressed file since it’s already pre-compressed anyway?

lordkag said that the “insert compressed” would compress the file before inserting and that’s what I exactly thought about it. So I’m thinking that you should always use the “insert as is” option because that way you can pick between between the uncompressed and pre-compressed file without MMTool modifying it upon insertion. If you want an uncompressed file inserted, “insert as” the uncompressed file. If you want a compressed file instead, “insert as” the pre-compressed file. Does that make sense?

@ kevindd992002:
As lordkag already has stated, the discussion about the insertion of compressed or uncompressed FFS files is useless, because there is enough space within your mainboard BIOS and you don’t have any problem to get any original SataDriver.ffs module inserted the normal way:
Take the uncompressed original or TRIM modded Intel RaidDriver file of your choice and use the “Insert As is” option. If the EFI mode Intel RAID Utility shouldn’t be visible within the UEFI BIOS Setup thereafter, this may have different reasons, but the FFS file insertion had been 100% correct.

I understand. I was actually not blaming the insertion method for the issue regarding the menu not appearing. I was just "curious" about the insertion method, that’s all. Thanks anyway.

I told you why (probably) the menu is not showing. If that’s correct and only if you have a RAID array (otherwise useless and a waste of time), I suggest you search newer Asus BIOS for v12.x EFI drivers. Not v13.x though.

Yes, I think it’s probably useless. I was just following lordkag’s suggestion of inserting these modules "for the sake of it" in hopes of fixing my other issue (EFI boot).

Hi,
I have an Asus P8Z68 deluxe gen 1 board that I have modded the bios using Mmtool and added the 12.9.0.2006 satadriver module into the bios. I can go into the Efi raid tool in bios by pressing the right arrow but the problem is that when I enable Efi boot Rom mode in the boot menu and reboot the boot logo resolution on screen is increased and it locks up requiring a cmos reset to gain access. At the moment I have ‘keep current’ enabled which suppresses the onscreen Intel raid boot verbose message and it boots fast enough without a single on screen message I’m not worried. My video card is an evga 780 SC and I think it’s Efi compatible. Could it be because there’s no Efi partition anywhere it’s stalling?

Thanks.

Without having created an EFI boot sector you will not be able to boot off an Intel RAID array in EFI mode.
Maybe this will help you:
Some months ago I have done the same thing with my ASUS P8Z68-V system: I successfully inserted the Intel EFI SataDriver v12.9.0.2006 into the BIOS and was able to get access to the EFI RAID Utility ("Intel(R) Rapid Storage" tab) from within the BIOS.
Interesting result: I was able to delete the RAID array, which i previously had created by using the LEGACY RAID Utility, but the (re)creation of a new RAID array disn’t work with the EFI RAID Utility.
Nevertheless I was able to install Win8.1 x64 in EFI mode onto a RAID0 array: I switched the boot settings of the BIOS temporarily to "LEGACY" mode (Force BIOS), created the RAID array in LEGACY mode by using the Intel RAID ROM v12.9.0.2006 and then redid the EFI BIOS settings.
The OS installation onto the RAID0 array in EFI mode worked flawlessly.

But did your system lockup at all when set to efi mode the first time?

No.

Fernando,

I found a newer GOP intel rom module than the one you have listed. Its ver 5.5.1023 according to the description on Tweaktown for my Z87X-UD5H board. You could find it yourself googling or I could send it to you if you want.