Intel RST EFI RAID/VMD BIOS Modules

Done!

Thank you very much, your link saved my day.

A small question regarding 13.1.0.2126. I noticed that the ffs provided in this thread is a little different from the one inside UBU 1.8.8. There are two differences, the header and tail. The tail seems to be slightly altered to show the actual version at the file name to make it easier to check version before replacing. So, nothing important probably. What about the header though after the GUID line?

Header:

Tail:

If you want the exact answers, you should ask CodeRush or SoniX.
AFAIK SoniX uses CodeRush’s UEFITool for the customization of the SataDriver ffs files after having added the different GUIDs and lets the tool automaticly correct the file checksum (very important for FFS files).
So I suspect, that the correction of the checksum is responsable for the differences within the offset 10 line.
Regarding the last bytes of the FFS file you are right. They obviously have been added by SoniX for an easier version identification.

The changes in the beginning are about adding of dependency expression for new version of the driver and correcting it’s file state from 07 (which is correct only for volumes with erase_polarity=0, which are very rare) to F8.
Added dependency expression can be interpreted like this:
PUSH (02) PCH_EFI_RAID_DRIVER_EXECUTION_GUID (7C 75 D5 99 06 D9 E0 11 8D 78 8D E4 48 24 01 9B) END (08).
The GUID above belongs to a protocol, which is published by by SBDxe driver only if RAID is enabled, so it makes perfect sense to have this DEPEX section in a correct SataDriver.ffs file.

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• new: Intel RST(e) EFI RAID “SataDriver” FFS module v13.5.0.2164 for GUID 90C8D394
  • new: Intel RST(e) EFI RAID “SataDriver” FFS module v13.5.0.2164 for GUID 91B4D9C1

Thanks to lordkag for offering the original source file!

Note: The variant GUID 90C8D394 is not yet up, but will be available soon.
Meanwhile I will test the GUID 91B4D9C1 variant with my ASRock Z97 mainboard.

EDIT 1:
I just flashed successfully the BIOS, where I had inserted the Intel SataDriver v13.5.0.2164 GUID 91B4D9C1 and started my RAID0 array without any issues. The in-use Intel SataDriver version 13.5.0.2164 is shown in the BIOS as working fine.
Now I will build the GUID 90C8D394 variant of the SataDriver module.

EDIT 2:
Now the GUID 90C8D394 variant is up as well!

Good luck with these brandnew Intel EFI SataDriver modules of the v13.5 Series!
Fernando

I re-modded the BIOS for my Maximus VII Ranger with the 13.5.0.2164 SataDriver, the recomended way.
And it’s working perfectly, in fact, slightly better performance than 13.5.0.2118 using the 13.5.0.1056 Driver.

What’s the difference between a “universally-modified TRIM” and an “especially modified TRIM” EFI driver?

Also, which of the “90C8D394” or “91B4D9C1” EFI driver should I be using for my board’s BIOS? How will I know?

They are modified in a different way. The "universally TRIM modified" modules will make the TRIM in RAID0 feature available for all natively not supported Intel RAID systems from ICH8R up (= new method), whereas the "especially TRIM modified" modules will give this feature only for a certain Intel Chipset (e.g. for P55 or P67/Z68 = old method).
Since there is no difference regarding the result of the modification (TRIM will be active within the RAID0 array anyway), I do not offer any new "especially modified" BIOS modules.

Ok. Why aren’t there univerally modified EFI SataDrivers that are 13.x and up?

Also, which of the “90C8D394” or “91B4D9C1” EFI driver should I be using for my board’s BIOS? How will I know?

The MMTool that I need would be the AMI UEFI MMTool here: https://mega.co.nz/#!1RFijBBB!YPJTizjURq…66yrCmwxT_QDj4Y , right?

Because the Intel RST(e) drivers v13 series are designed for Intel 7-9 Series chipsets, which natively are supported by the TRIM in RAID0 feature.

The suitable GUID depends on the mainboard model. It would be a good idea to create a signature.

Yes, but you can use the MMTool.exe, which is within the UBU tool, as well (both files are the identical).

Ok. And the TRIM problem is just applicable when in RAID0, right? Any other RAIDs for drivers below v13 still support TRIM?

I just created my signature but is still not reflecting, maybe there’s just some delay? But my board is an ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3. How will I know which GUID is suitable for my board?

Yes, the TRIM modification of the RAID ROM/EFI SataDriver modules has only an effect on Intel RAID systems with an SSD RAID0 array.

I don’t understand this question. When you write "drivers", do you really mean "drivers" or "EFI RaidDriver" BIOS modules?

Since I owned an ASUS P8Z68-V and succeeded with the insertion of the Intel "EFI RaidDriver" GUID 90C8D394, I suspect, that this GUID sort will match your mainboard as well.

Oops, I had a typo on that. Forgot that question, I forgot what I was asking :slight_smile:

Well, mine is the “GEN3” version so it could be different, right? I’m done with inserting the Intel GOP for SB and IB.

I also noticed that there is a “SataDriver90.ffs” file inside the 91B4D9C1 compressed file. How is that different from the “SataDriver90.ffs” file that is in the 90C8D394 archive?

I am pretty sure, that the P8Z68-V and the P8Z68-V GEN3 are using the same Intel "RAIDDriver".

I don’t believe that. Please give me the link to that "SataDriver90.ffs" file.

Ok. What are the risks of inserting the wrong Intel “RaidDriver” module with the incorrect GUID?

I think there was a decompression error on my side, so don’t worry about that.

The risk may be, that you cannot see/open the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" tab within the BIOS after having set the Intel SATA Controller to "RAID".

And if you insert the correct one, you will always see that tab? And if that’s the case, does that mean that ney2x inserted the wrong module? Because I remember that in his testing he did not see that tab until he navigate to the right-most part of the BIOS menu.

If you don’t have this “tab” (menu) already it won’t appear with a RAIDRom update. It’s only useful for those who have a RAID array either way.

But the settings under this tab will appear. Please check ney2x’s experiment here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1244232/asus-…0#post_19670274 . This link is also in the OP.

No, you will not see it at once. Furthermore you will not see it, if
a) the Intel SATA Controller has not been set to RAID before and
b) you have not completely powered off the machine before.

This is how I have done it (and ney2x as well as far as I remember):
1. Enter the BIOS.
2. Set the "Optimized Defaults".
3. Set the Intel SATA Controller to "RAID".
4. Save the BIOS settings and reboot.
5. Enter the BIOS again, go to the "BOOT" menu and set the "Option ROM Messages" to "Keep Current".
6. Set the "PCI ROM Priority" to "EFI mode".
7. Save the BIOS settings.
8. Power off completely the computer for 1-2 minutes.
9. Power on the computer and enter the BIOS again.
10. Enter the "Advanced Mode" menu.
11. Hit the right navigation arrow very often until you see a new tab named "Intel Rapid Storage Technology".
12. Hit the tab. - that’s it!