Intel RST EFI RAID/VMD BIOS Modules

You can manually insert an original not existent EFI module (like a GopDriver) as .ffs module into any AMI Aptio UEFI BIOS by using the related AMI Aptio MMTool.
If you need something like a guide, please look into the start post of >this< thread. There is chapter "How to insert an Intel UEFI RAID "SataDriver module". The insertion of a GopDriver module is rather similar.

Hey mate, my BIOS not support RAID mode (only AHCI and IDE), so I guess it will not be necessary to update "SataDriver" right?

Yes, if you cannot choose the "RAID" mode, the "SataDriver" module will never be used by your system.

@ Fernando
Why do you have OROM IRST versions 13.1 and 13.2 for TRIM, but is not present for the EFI?

1. Only users with an UEFI BIOS (from Intel 6-Series up) are able to use an EFI RaidDriver module, whereas the Intel RAID ROM modules can be used by all Intel RAID systems from ICH8R up.
    2. The BIOSes of Intel 6-Series Chipsets natively have no EFI RaidDriver and are not fully UEFI compliant.
    3. Until now no Intel 6-Series Chipset user asked me for a TRIM in RAID0 modded Intel EFI RaidDriver module v13.x.x.xxxx (maybe because I have recommended to use either the v11.2 or the v12.9 combo for 6-Series chipset RAID systems).

@ Fernando
I thought added in folder TRIM, OROM and EDF IRST versions 13.1 and 13.2, for owners x79 chipset. But maybe it does not need to do?

It is your decision. If you want to add them, I will modify these EFI RaidDriver modules for you.
On the other hand it doesn’t make much sense for me to offer somethng, which is not really recommended to get used.

@ Fernando
Then I will not be added until this versions. If there are requests to add, then do it. :slight_smile:

http://www.lab-z.com/2014gvs/

Is this tool interesting for some of you? It could split the GOP and VBT from a BayTrail BIOS. Maybe someone should ask for the source?

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• new: Intel RST(e) EFI “RaidDriver” modules v14.6.0.2285 for GUID 90C8D394, GUID 91B4D9C1 and without header (thanks to Pacman for the source file)

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• new: Intel RST(e) EFI “SataDriver” modules v12.7.5.1988 for GUID 90C8D394 original and TRIM mod
  • new: Intel RST(e) EFI “SataDriver” modules v12.7.5.1988 for GUID 91B4D9C1 original and TRIM mod
  • removed: all Intel RST(e) EFI “SataDriver” modules v12.7.0.1936

Thanks to lordkag resp. plutomaniac for the source file.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• updated: Intel RSTe EFI “RaidDriver” modules v4.2.x.xxxx series for GUID-43A0A7B3 and without header (now v4.2.0.1041) Thanks to plutomaniac for the source file.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@ plutomaniac:

Thank you for the link to the new Intel EFI “RaidDriver” v14.6.1.2340, which you had attached to >this< post.
Where did you get/find this module?
There are at leat 2 things, which irritated me somehow:
1. The shown name of the module is “OdmSataDriver”. What does it mean? I have never seen such Intel EFI RAID module name.
2. The module’s checksum-8 is 7E (the usual checksum-8 of such modules is F8).

@ Fernando:

Here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/hu/en/h…&driverId=664HT

The only new thing is RST which is what I posted yesterday.

ODM probably means Original Device Manufacturer (like OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer). That’s the only thing that comes to mind currently. It’s not the first time we have seen ODM at the module name. I have two more such examples at my “repository”: 14.0.0.2169 and 14.5.0.2241.

Capture.PNG

Note: If you can’t extract the .exe and then the .hdr file, I have attached the actual BIOS .rom image.

XPS_9550_1.0.3_section1_1.0.3.rar (4.5 MB)

@ all:
With the help of CodeRush’s UEFITool I was able to solve the previously reported problems with the source file (unusual module name and checksum-8).

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• new: Intel RST(e) EFI “RaidDriver” modules v14.6.1.2340 for GUID 90C8D394, GUID 91B4D9C1 and without header (thanks to plutomaniac for the source file)

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• new: Intel RST(e) EFI “RaidDriver” modules v14.7.0.2341 for GUID 90C8D394, GUID 91B4D9C1 and without header (thanks to Station-Drivers for the source file)

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Fernando!
First of all thank you for all your work here regarding all the BIOS ROMs, drivers and anything relevant to that. I sucessfully replaced some old Intel RST option ROMs with newer ones to get TRIM support and a large performance gain for example on a P55 chipset board with two Intel Postville G2 SSDs in Raid0 config.

Right now I have a question that you may not be able to answer, but maybe you at least have any advice.

I have a ASUS H77 (model P8H77-I that is ITX size) mainboard and I want to use the Raid 5 mode of it. I have three new Seagate Archive v2 8TB drives (ST8000AS0002) for that. I know that they are NOT intended for any RAID configurations because of their SMR (ShingledMagneticRecording) technology, but I want to give it a try anyway. I also have a true SAS raid card in that machine (LSI 9260-8i) with an older firmware that I don’t want to upgrade since it supports configured drive spindown / powersave. Because of that SMR technology of the harddrives I think it might be better to use the Intel SATA ports and an updated RST module and driver for that. I don’t mind not having the RAID 5 performance that the LSI card might deliver in favor of a stable RAID array without problems. The LSI controller might drop a SMR drive early if it has a long answering delay because of the SMR work it does, but that might happen to the Intel RAID too, who knows.

Anyway - I used MMTool to check what RST version my BIOS/UEFI uses and I found it to be v. 11.5.0.1582.

To maybe dodge any problems with these new drives I want to upgrade the module to the latest or at least best working one. You recommend the v13.1.0.2126 module for the 7-series chipsets in your “AHCI & RAID ROM Modules” thread and state that the v14 modules do not fully support the older “up to 7-series” chipsets.

Do you think I should go with the v13.1.0.2126 module and a suiting driver for that?
Or the v13.5.0.2164 since it seems to be the latest v13 module?
Or should I just go ahead and try the v14.7.0.2341 one?

GUI of my BIOS/UEFI is 90C8D394 so the fist download link for the modules should be the correct one.

Thank you for your help.

@ Bucho:
Welcome at WinRAID Forum!

You can test whatever Intel RAID ROM/EFI BIOS module in combination with whatever Intel RAID driver version, but I recommend to use the Intel RST(e) RAID combo v13.1.0.2126/13.1.0.1058, because it has been optimized for Intel 7-Series Chipset systems.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi,
I want to ask if the Intel RSTe EFI "SataDriver" v3.8.0.1029 version was the latest that can be installed in X79 chipset and version 4.3.0.1018 was for X99 only?
Can version 4.3.0.1018 be installed on X79 chipset?

Currently I have a Volume (RAID 1) build on Intel Soft RAID controller with v3.8.0.1029 BIOS version with RSTe (My MOBO is ASUS P79X WS)
If I upgrade to 4.3.0.1018 will my data be safe or lost and I will have to recreate the whole RAID 1?

I had some problems with 3.8 drivers on windows 10 so I upgraded windows drivers to 4.3.0.1542
Should I upgrade to 4.3.0.1018 BIOS?

Best Regards,
mix2ra

@ mix2ra:
Welcome at WinRAID Forum!

Yes. all Intel RSTe RAID ROM/EFI "SataDriver" modules v.4.x.x.xxxx should work with all X79 and X99 Chipset RAID systems, because the Intel SATA RAID Controllers of both chipsets have the same DeviceID DEV_2826 (if running in RSTe mode).

No.

You can update the Intel RAID ROM/EFI SataDriver module and then check, whether the v4.3 series is better for your system or not.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando
Thank you for your quick reply.

Okay so I will try that combination first. Since I am still just testing these 8TB harddrives I am not using critical data, infact it will be used as a backup storage anyway.
Thank you
Regards
Niki (alias Bucho) from Vienna :slight_smile: