Issues flashing bios from unreleased Dell Vostro 7590 i9 gtx 1650

@bobcatchris - I checked your vBIOS, both dumps, and both already have device ID 1F92 set as their only PCIR (x4), and looking back at your first set of images I see the same in HWINFO GPU is detected as TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile]
Same on post #28 GPu-z images too (Which show correct 4GB as well) and it shows Nvidia 430 drivers installed, so looks like it’s setup and working properly. What is the issue with this again? Just resolution, if yes then we’ll have to wait on this until we sort drivers out.
I think we should leave this until last, so we’re sure none of the BIOS is causing issues here, then we can ask Fernando maybe to edit some drivers for you.

Since it’s showing up in windows as 1F91 (Or I’m confused here ), you can try this driver, or maybe you can edit the stock drivers for that ID? At that same site, there is a few others too, with different subsys ID’s (none matching yours from earlier pages)
https://driver.ru/Search/PCI%5CVEN_10DE%…SUBSYS_10641D05
Also one here at US site of same place - https://us.driverscollection.com/Search/…SUBSYS_33901458
& https://us.driverscollection.com/Search/…SUBSYS_24281B0A

It shouldn’t be detected at 1F91 by windows though, since that is not in it’s vBIOS anywhere, do you get that with a clean install, how about with Win7.
I know graphics is of large concern to you right now due to the res issues, but maybe we still need to wait on this until your on the full stock BIOS (Some of this may be set in the NVRAM I haven’t got transferred over yet)

And as far as 1F91 goes, this is not found in any online databases, so I think that’s the one you’d rather not use (may be that is a QS/ES one)
vBIOS can be flashed with programmer, and recovered if it fails, but you first would need to get a valid proper sized backup, meaning you need to use different version of the software you used this time around or pick the correct chip ID etc.
You also have to make sure checksum and signature are correct, so it’s not really editable due to encrypted signature now present on these vBIOS.
Your dump with programmer and the GPu-z dump, both were incorrectly sized (programmer = 1025KB / 100040h, and GPU-z=1023KB / FFA00h - when actual should be 1024KB / 100000h exactly)
We could cut/adjust that, but that’s not ideal when writing or hoping any dump is OK for recovery purposes. Some version of the software will dump and restore it properly.

What does it show at the BIOS on General >> Summary >> at bottom in video area? Does that give you Intel or Nvida GOP/vBIOS info, I assume Intel but not sure.
And I assume it all shows “Error!” correct, the BIOS is textually set that way, so if they made it visible that’s dumb It’s not an error causing that, they set this manually as the presented info.

On ME, that may still be somewhat off due to incomplete NVRAM, but that info shows ME enabled at working at least so that’s a plus.
As far as BIOS options, you wont have anything like that visible until I unlock your BIOS and or we test setting you on a AMT enabled ME FW/BIOS mode.
Even without AMT, which is the standard method for this system, the limited ME BIOS options are always hidden (nothing to do there anyway, except enable ME Re-Flash and a few other things no one needs to ever change)

Sometime, we need to test stock EC FW too, so please remind me once we sort BIOS out if I forget. OK, that’s too much text, off to work on getting NVRAM sorted in BIOS now
Sadly, I also think the last BIOS I sent you was not fully stock volumes minus the NVRAM, doing a rebuild now for you to test before we redo the NVRAM Too many volumes in there and too many test BIOS created on my end
Here is new properly all stock except NVRAM - http://www.filedropper.com/newstockemptynv

Do you have, or have you located a BIOS Dump from someone with a retail system?
If yes, please upload for me or link me to it, I need to compare one volume in your dump vs stock HDR extract vs actual dump, I’m concerned one of your initial dump volumes may be corrupted so need to see how it looks on another dumped BIOS.

i modded the drivers to use the 1f91 1028 9222 but the device id for my gpu is 1f92 1028 9222

they are both the same model, idk the difference, i think i messed up when modding the drivers because its not giving me everything from the nvidia package, like the full control panel etc

i flashed the bios you just sent me, on startup it gave me a error “invalid configuration information - please run setup program” but seems to be working fine

it shows dgpu controller unknown video card and for intel it said unknown but after flashing the bios it says gop 1805

options in bios are still the same but it shows my bios is at 1.0.2 instead of 0.0.5

i don’t have a bios dump from anyone with a retail system, no one has posted reviews for it yet

ill see if i can find someone on notebookreviewforum

Thanks for report. I suspected there may be some errors, this still has non complete NVRAM.

Why did you edit driver to 1F91? Device is 1F92 so I’d be using that. Uninstall those edited drivers with DDU driver cleaner, reboot and install stock ones now with this BIOS and see if anything is different.
Can you at least set proper resolution now, even with windows controls?

You should have some BIOS settings differences, but only a few so probably hard to spot at a quick glance.

I did ddu but there is no drivers for 1f92 at all. Do you know where I can find it?

I don’t think the drivers for the igpu are correct either. I uninstalled I’m seeing if windows can find the correct drivers for the igpu but no luck so far. It won’t let me install the ones on the dell or Intel site

I turned off testmode in windows 10 to try again

it found the igpu drivers, i never had a problem with setting it at native resolution but anything else is wrong

https://imgur.com/8zE0qeM

19F2 is the well know common standard GTX 1650, how is there no drivers? I don’t use Nvidia, so can’t really help a lot with locating drivers, but I know you can get pre-modified drivers (with all ID’s already added) at laptopvideo2go
I would not rely on, or use actually, any windows provided display drivers, that can often cause issues with the drivers themselves and prevent you from installing correct drivers later on too once you’ve found the right ones.

Since this is all testing, why don’t you use Win7, much less hassle and compatibility issues, so then you’d know nothing is due to Win10 crap? At least for now, that is what I’d be doing.
I guess the link below says this isn’t possible Win10 only crap! However, there is this if you want to try out Win7 - Win 7 x64 Coffee Like UHD 630 Video driver

Does the Intel still show as disabled in HWINFO now with new BIOS? Here should be correct drivers, but if it’s disabled then you may not be able to install them
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product…HD-Graphics-630

BIOS is set to switchable graphics, with all controller settings on auto, but there is only muxeless mode, so I don’t think you can enable/disable one or the other, but maybe it’s possible due to being ES system.
I’ll have to unlock all those settings for you later though, so you can try setting one or the other as main or one or other as disabled and test which of all those possibilities causes black screen and forced BIOS recovery.

1f92 isnt in the nvidia drivers, i tried to install it but it says it can’t find a compatible device. I also checked the inf, i think 1f92 is only in ES or QS, also its not uncommon for laptop gpu drivers not to work unless its from the oem like dell in this case but the dell drivers dont have that hardware id either

the intel drivers did install but i still get a direct3d error when trying to run userbenchmark, also the resolution problem with the display not working well with anything but native is still there

I might have to try windows 7 over the weekend.

it shows disabled but its running when i run valley for the igpu, i couldnt get the nvidia drivers to install here are some pictures

https://imgur.com/a/SqUSIYG

Can you edit the Dell driver package? The main GPU would be the Intel, so getting it’s driver working is the key for resolution I would imagine, the Nvidia probably is only used for compute/3d and that’s why you see it kicking in during games
Or is it the other way around, and only Intel enables during gaming? If yes, then I think that’s backwards, and may be why resolution issues. We can test changing that, but I’ll have to unlock BIOS for you first so you can see/adjust, recover if needed, retest different setting, recover etc.
I’ll try to dig into BIOS tonight and see about unlocking stuff for you

The dell driver does install for Intel IGPU, even has the display(lcd) drivers were installed as well either from the Dell Drivers or from Windows. The resolutions are off outside of native and that is with and without the display inf.

Yes, you’re correct the main gpu is Intel. As of right now the Nvidia gpu isn’t installed, its not under display devices in device manager its under something else labelled 3d controller.

I think its possible that there is some setting or registry in Windows that tells it to switch even without nvidia optimus installed to the Nvidia GPU for 3d applicants because the Intel GPU gives errors in most 3d applications such as the not compatible direct3d error when trying to run userbenchmark but Intel UHD 630 is capable of running it. Also its taking up a 2-4 gbs of ram, usually there is a setting in bios that allows me to select how much ram goes to the igpu.

I don’t think its worth installing the Nvidia gpu drivers until you get a chance to mess more with the bios to see what can be done. Also the vbios could be corrupt. I couldn’t get it running correctly, not at the right speeds and optimus didn’t install so I don’t know if it was ever running off of the Nvidia gpu at all.

@bobcatchris I bet the Nvidia is only used for compute and 3d as mentioned, probably by design, many systems are like that with Intel and Nvidia or Intel and AMD. It’s installed or you wouldn’t see it in HWINFO
DVMT pre-allocated and DVMT max are set to 64MB/256MB, so it’s not reserved for that, at least not the Intel side - 900+MB reserved for Thunderbolt (x2 controlelrs) + few other random small MB bits here and there reserved too (like 8MB, 4MB etc)
So there’s 2.5-3GB or so, I suspect only 1GB reserved on Nvidia side, rest in windows maybe shared

I think if the vBIOS was corrupt you wouldn’t see the card at all in any programs, and I’d have noticed in apps on my end, and neither looked messed up to me (aside from both dumps being incorrect sizes)
Sorry I’ve not done the NVRAM stuff yet, been getting a little behind and that takes some time to pick and choose then rework it all. I did make these for you while writing this out, so we can see if I can do anything with this “Dell” BIOS interface, it’s too bad it’s not regular AMI type interface those I know I can unlock easily.
Please test each one, do any give you an advanced section in the BIOS, or all do nothing, or brick? Be ready for recovery with each of these BIOS, all may brick. Let me know outcome of each, thanks
http://www.filedropper.com/unlock-bios-test1

If all fail, whichever do not brick, I have additional test changes to add onto those to try next, didn’t want to give you too many at once (Two more BIOS each for any that do not brick)

It won’t let me http://imgur.com/a/VaqitRs

Sorry, I assumed you’d put on with programmer. You can try to see if your BIOS has S3 sleep bug, if it does then you can FPT flash. Put system to sleep (S3) for one minute, then wake it up and try FPT flash. If you get same error, then you’ll have to test each one by programmer.
Tonight, I will make you a few BIOS to test to remove this lock too, so it wont give us issues moving forward and you’ll be able to FPT flash easily (Sorry I didn’t realize this was an issue or I would have looked to remove it sooner)

It’s not a problem. Takes more time. I have to remove the heatsink fans etc to get to it. The clips on the programmer are a pain but I’ll flash it tonight

I tried the bug, no luck lol

Since there is so many test BIOS there, and some/all may brick, lets see if we can remove the locks first so you can do it all via FPT
These will not be removed in files I sent you previously, so if this works, these will need redone again each time after all flashes, then I will disable moving forward in all future BIOS

Please see this guide, you’ll be starting at step 6, I’ve done rest for you. You will be disabling BIOS lock and FPRR lock
[GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 280 or 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash
Alt boot to grub when no boot to EFI on exit page - [Help needed] Hidden Advanced menu Bios HP Z1 J52_0274.BIN (2) << This is method you’ll need to use, since your BIOS does not have correct entry on exit page to go directly to this.

BIOS Lock >> 0xB4B
Flash Protection Range Registers (FPRR) >> 0x1205 << this one looks disabled already, but only in setup, it may be enabled in your NVRAM or AMITSE/SetupData, if so I’ll have to disable in files moving forward as a test, then carry into all once we remove it

So, once at grub prompt, you’ll type the following one at a time, show me output of each after you hit enter
setup_var 0xB4B 0x0
setup_var 0x1205 0x0

https://imgur.com/a/P9n5NFl

Is that FPT after you did the grub? If yes, please run grub again and do these commands and let me see what it shows now
setup_var 0xB4B
setup_var 0x1205

We may need to change in your NVRAM, or in PCHInitDXE or another module, I’ll have to check it later and see.
Eventually I think I can disable it for you so you wont have to keep programming, just take a minute to figure out where it’s being locked down.

both are at 0x0 after, just checked

I’m flashing the first bios with the programmer now

ONce you have time, on top of previous things I had you disable in grub Test disabling these two also, then see if FPT works or not, if not I will build you test BIOS with all this disabled and find and remove the lock in PCHInitDXE
BIOS Guard >> 0x12C4
Intel Bios Guard >> 0x12C4

Set both to 0x0

So all these at once, once you have time, then FPT test. If no luck, I will try to remove in PCHInit too if it’s there.
setup_var 0xB4B 0x0
setup_var 0x1205 0x0
setup_var 0x12C4 0x0

* Edit - @bobcatchris Here is two more test BIOS, with attempts to remove 167 lock, each will need programmed in then after that you can test FPT flashing, please test each one once time permits
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…690883357385869

That worked! No change with advset.rom, in used the programmer to flash that one

I’m flashed advsetamit1.rom now in windows thanks to you :grin:

No change in bios either. Trying the next soon

What worked? And for any testing you are doing now, wait until you’re done with that set and give me a full report of each file (what changed, what didn’t, what we were trying to do etc, so I can keep track without having to look back and try and see what we were doing }

setup_var 0xB4B 0x0
setup_var 0x1205 0x0
setup_var 0x12C4 0x0<br />
through grub, worked so i could flash bios with fpt

I think we were trying to get some options in bios unlocked, honestly im not completely sure why we are testing all of these bios

I was following your lead

So far advset.rom and advsetamit1.rom show no changes in bios or windows

what should i look for after flashing the bios besides changes within bios?

I have not tested the bios you posted in #77, i was on working on the 4 you gave me the time prior