Mod the text color/theme on Z97 Asus UEFI BIOS

I tried to flash using AI Suite by selecting the original BIOS, and before clicking flash, I changed the name of the modified BIOS to the original name in the same directory. EZ Flash works, but after the first reboot, it shows the original BIOS logo, and when entering the BIOS, nothing happens. After restarting the machine, it goes to the original BIOS without the visual modifications.

did you extract the images manually or using that tool? I am on an Asrock board wanting to know how did you do it.

I used PhoenixTool and UefiImageExt as @f3bandit suggested above.

1 Like

My problem now is flashing the modified BIOS; secure flash is preventing me from doing it. I have already tried with Flashrom, Afudos, AI Suite, and EZ Flash directly, but nothing works.

FD unlocked for FPT read/write?

EDIT: No sry, just looked the thread title “Z97 Asus UEFI BIOS”

Some mobo vendors have a bios flash back option where you rename the bios file according to their manual and place in on a thumb drive to flash it using a button on the board or on the back by the IO.
thats the only way i know of as they do signature checks in specific areas of the bios. the flash back does not

so far the only thing I have modded on a system without bios flash back is the boot splash some vendors use to change the windows boot splash to a oem one, like asus or asrock do with their boards.
I have a X300 mini PC from asrock where they changed the boot splash to a 1x1 empty pixel. cause they i guess didn’t feel like making a boot splash for that system. I was able to replace it with a 800x600 boot splash in 4bit color depth in jpeg format by replacing it as body in UEFITool. The menu items shouldn’t have the color bit depth problem as long as you don’t exceed the file size of the original file size. other than the file size or image format idk it should work or the fr is checking those as well and blocking it.

Is it possible to do this on an AMD MOBO? I think it’s only possible on Intel boards

Yes, it should be possible since the images I want to replace are smaller than the original ones.

Unfortunately my board doesn’t have this function :frowning:

are you replacing the file as body or as is? I know it fails for me if I don’t replace as body. also maure the file doesn’t appear in multiple locations. mobo vendors like to bury duplicates in multiple locations, so may have to try each one until you get the right one. I know with a few of my boards they did the dummy location thing in the bios file structure. they do this for various reasons security, sig check, etc.

Yes, I replaced the body

I tried previous versions but without success. I also tried installing an older version and then a newer version with the modifications. It takes longer to update, but still without success.

In older versions, a different Asus logo was used. I changed the logo in the newer version, which was originally different. The strange thing is that it didn’t change to what I edited but instead to the new version of the BIOS logo

I’ve already searched through the files extracted by PhoenixTool, and the only block where I could find the BIOS images was the one I’m altering [CC5840D2-D8EA-459E-BAF4-349AC710EBBE]. I think EZ Flash is just ignoring the block I modified

another way to check if you changed the right one is to use AMI change logo if it matches then you did the right one. if it doesn’t you are saving as body in the wrong address.
ChangeLogo v5.0.0.2.zip (183.5 KB)

there is replace as “body”
or replace “as is”
so which did you do?

i used replace body, sorry for confusion

I’m doing it this way, I take the logo and UI images from a ROG bios and put them in my bios:

1 Like

are the images the same dimensions? e.g. 800x600 or 1024x768?
as it needs to match the original file as much as possible. if the bios you are modding uses
a 800x600 splash but the one you scavenged from a donar bios is 1024x768. you will need to change it
to match the dimensions for the bios being modded. once done open the modded bios with the tool I attached in my previous response. then click save splash. then open the folder where you saved the splash and verify the image was changed. in my case it was an image of a 1x1 empty pixel as the default. and I had my old boot splash from another board and tried that. but it didn’t work cause it was @ 1024x768. so i changed in paint.net to 800x600 and it worked. I am assuming some bios roms are set to different dimensions. My asrock Z97Killer board used 1024x768. but this X300 mini pc from ASRock defaults to 800x600. other than that i am out of Ideas. they like to lock their stuff down.

1 Like

You might need to flash downgrade to older bios pre agesa 1.2.x.x, like agesa 1.0.0.6, there you could use flashrom to flash the bios but remember to transfer the mac address, sn, etc (i guess this is doable in FD44 Editor?), but then on the latest bios/beta bios (i assume), before you use flashrom, remove AmdSpiRomProtect DXE,SMM, and PEI in the bios itself using Uefitool, so that you could use flashrom to dump and flash the bios without getting blocked.

2 Likes

yes, I checked the images and they are the same size, apparently the problem is the secure flash

wow is worked, i downgraded the bios to 5007 with agesa 1.0.0.3 and then using flashrom I updated it to a modified 6223

Now I just need to change the colors xD

thanks to everyone
@f3bandit @Koekieezz @Sweet_Kitten @Dagal @MeatWar

1 Like

really you can just remove those and the bios still works?

@JeanxPereira
I’m happy for you!