msi z97 pcmate unlocking advanced and chipset menu

I was trying to unlock the hidden Advanced Menu, and I read about replacing the security menu button but I couldn’t figure out the procedure. could someone explain in a step by step process how to this? I’ve found guides on unlocking basic menu’s with AMIBCP, UEFI editor with HXD, but NOTHING on how to replace a menu with another one. if someone could either give me a step by step explanation OR do it themselves and then explain what they did it would be great! Thanks.

So after reading some more and exploring the hex code/IFR dumps I decided to try swapping out my Security menu
with the hidden advanced menu, which from my understanding should be {0F 0F 1D 00 1E 00 03 00 00 00 FF FF 00 0B 04}.

I tried replacing {0F 0F 1D 00 1E 00 03 00 00 00 FF FF 00 0B 04} (my security setting) with that address, and while it did rename the Security option to Advanced, clicking on it nothing.

So then I tried replacing Intel Rapid Start Technology with it, because its a setting inside of the normal advanced menu.
Replaced {0F 0F 57 0E 58 0E 5F 00 00 00 FF FF 00 4C 05} with {0F 0F 1D 00 1E 00 03 00 00 00 FF FF 00 0B 04} once again, and got the same result.

Also tried changing all of the settings inside of the hidden advanced menu to user with AMIBCP to no avail.
So now my BIOS has three advanced settings, two of which do nothing.

Is there something I’m missing?

Attached another stock BIOS image which I took after resetting factory settings.

MSI-Z97-REAL.zip (4.88 MB)

Posting this cause file limit size on second upload.

Heres the modified BIOS I wound up with after attempting to hexedit.

scared.zip (4.89 MB)

Please edit your posts if you want to add more info and no one has replied yet, thanks

Please flash back in stock BIOS using normal MSI procedure, then do the following -

Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64 and on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C” download the matching ME System Tools Package (ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error, if you do show me image of the command entered and the error given >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

sorry I couldn’t figure out how to get both files attached due to the file size limit.

biosreg.zip (4.86 MB)

What do you mean both files? I only need your stock FPT BIOS region dump, after you’ve reflashed the stock BIOS from MSI again, is that what’s attached above?
You can upload files to any free file host you want and then post a link here. I use tinyupload most often, it’s free and no waits to download.

that IS what is above. what I was referring to when I was talking about multiple files was when I was making multiple posts to upload the files previously. My bad. but yes the stock FPT bios region dump is what is attached.

Ohh, OK, I gotcha now! Thanks for FPT dump, I will work on this soon. MSI BIOS often strict, like locked to certain menu counts due to limited space where this coding is changed, do you care if I have to replace security with chipset?
It sounds like you found a thread where we discussed and did similar mods to other MSI BIOS previously

Is that your desired goal here, Chipset + Advanced, or do you only really care about the hidden advanced? If you only need hidden advanced that’s a no problem easy switch.

I definitely do not care if the security tab gets replaced. and yes that is the desired goal but if it’ll take longer to swap security menu with the chipset menu that is NOT a big deal, whatever is less work for you :). thank you.

Thanks. It’s not about longer to do both, just you may need to replace some menu with chipset - doing either mod is same to me time-wise so no big deal either way.
I’ll check it out now and let you know what I think needs to be done.

* Sorry, I forgot to ask, we may not even need to use FPT. Were you able to flash in your previous mod attempts using M-Flash from within BIOS? Often you can do this with MSI, provided mod BIOS is same name as stock BIOS (extension too)
When you did the FPT Dump, right after that were you able to write back the biosreg.bin file as I suggested for testing?

no we didn’t try using M-Flash, we flashed it booting from a usb stick with freedos and using AFUDos. and yes we were able to write the biosreg.bin file back without any issue.

That’s not good method, lucky it didn’t brick. M-Flash should allow it, sometimes not but that’s rare.
Please test if you don’t mind, that way I know if I can mod stock BIOS and have a unlock BIOS here for everyone, or if I have to unlock your FPT dump only which will be only for you to use and anyone else wanting later will have to request new mod again.
Thanks for confirm on BIOS region write without issue.

Can you please zip a few images of your BIOS for me, I forget what these look like and need to see the layout, what’s visible in stock as far as Main, Advanced, Boot, Save and Exit etc.
You can probably F12 screenshot to USB - I found two from a sale when I had this board. Please show me what all submenus are visible for you in the “Settings” section, this is where I’ll swap advanced and Chipset/security (if necessary)

M-Flash didn’t work I got this error https://i.imgur.com/TgtJo9u.png
and there isn’t a “select one file to update BIOS” option.

and the screenshots of the BIOS are in the attachment.

screens.zip (1.48 MB)

You need to use full mod BIOS, not FPT modified region. Were you using fill 8MB stock BIOS (Modified), and then renamed exactly to stock BIOS name.extension (E7850IMS.4B0)?
Make sure you have view file extensions enabled, that way you can see the actual extension and not just an extra .4B0 in the name and not the actual extension. To know you have it enabled, any text file will be filename.txt always, you’ll see .txt on all text files if it’s enabled
If it’s not, then you can’t see your mod BIOS extension name and you have E7850IMS.4B0.4B0 instead of E7850IMS.4B0 possibly

The “Select One File to update BIOS” option is blocked suppressed and removed from setup (as is a third option too), lazy engineer left that error message there for you.
So, stock BIOS update option can only do ME+BIOS (entire file BIOS Update). Please be sure you are using the stock BIOS from MSI, modified for some single BIOS edit change (maybe change a single setting with AMIBCP) then test again.

* Edit - do you have flash programmer? If not, I’ll have to see if I have one of these boards around here still, this BIOS is more of a mess than usual for MSI
** Edit 2 - Ahh, I don’t have one anymore, but I do have MSI H97M-G43 which I “Think” has similar BIOS layout, let me get that setup and do some testing before I send you anything, unless you do have programmer then no worries.
*** Edit 3 - @nover - yes, that board has same base BIOS, so I can do all mod/testing on my end before giving you anything, meaning all will be sorted here and you wont need to test this, test that etc before I get to a final unlock for you.

Please wait!

I used the original bios file from MSI, edited it with AMIBCP enabled Enhance Turbo and M-Flash let me flash it successfully and it’s working. sorry for the misunderstanding. I do not have a flash programmer unfortunately. and thank you, I don’t mind testing things at all though if you really need it.

Thanks, for the info, I assumed it was OK with M-Flash that way, since I found a mod BIOS I made for someone earlier with that same edit you made above
So I can mod stock BIOS and once done it can be provided here for all instead of personal to you from your FPT dump. See my edits above

Please wait patiently, I may not get this done tonight due to limited time, but I will get it done. No need for you to keep trying anything and end up bricking the board, wait and I’ll sort it out for you
And yes, once done I will tell you how it’s all done.

Thank you so much for your help. how long do making these bios unlocks traditionally take on MSI? not rushing or anything just genuinely curious. and yes I saw the edits, that’s awesome.

You’re welcome! All MSI are different, some only take a few seconds, others can take an hour or so to try and find what works (when I have board in hand).
Almost all MSI are non-traditional, like for other Z97 boards from Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte etc for example, all can usually be unlocked using same or at least similar edits but MSI always strays far from that standard thing and makes a mess out of their BIOS.
So it’s always a hassle/pain unless you already know what needs done for that series/chipset, but once you know then it applies across the board for all similar structured MSI BIOS.

I dug out the H97 board, setting it up now, but may not have time to get it all sorted out tonight. If not I’ll try to have done for you by tomorrow and will let you know what edits are used so you can do yourself as test or on next BIOS update etc.
This way will be much easier than both of us than having to give you a bunch of edits to test this and that, then retest this and that, all possibly bricking the BIOS if incorrect edit.
It’s safer for you this way, and easier for me since I can test immediately, change, test, recover from brick if needed, edit, test, finalize etc.

* edit - board setup and running - away we go And, it was Z97M-G43, so even closer to your board then I expected (all same BIOS base/mess though, so once edit found it will work on all)

* Edit 2 - What is your goal in the hidden advanced? I noticed in that one, there is no Win8/10 setting (UEFI Boot or legacy)
This can be given back via switching boot menus, then you have full access to fast boot, boot option filter (UEFI/Legacy = Win8.10 setting) and CSM options, but missing secure boot option, and you also loose that Go2BIOS setting on the original boot.
Maybe I can move that submenu into new advanced, not sure though. But, if there is something specific you needed only, maybe it’s already in your other advanced and hidden we can just enable that?

I want performance tuning tab mostly and the CPU performance tab,and the non turbo ratio limit setting. I don’t really care about the windows 8/10 setting. I don’t care about the go2bios setting either as it doesn’t really work for me anyways. the thing that got my eye the most was the non turbo ratio limit setting. I can go without those settings and just get the full advanced menu, whatever is easier on you, if you can find the non turbo core ratio limit in the normal advanced menu then that’ll work.

I noticed that as I started looking and testing things OK, sounds like straight swap would be OK with you then. All those settings that would be missing, can easily be changed from their default later via AMIBCP edit, if you needed to change them without seeing in BIOS.
Non-Turbo Ratio override, that can be changed anytime while remaining hidden too, but I’m sure you already know that. Testing commences, will update once I’m nearly there