[OFFER] ASRock Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac BIOS Coffee Lake Mod

I modded the P7.10 BIOS for the ASRock Z170 gaming-itx/ac to be able to accept Coffee Lake CPUs (probably only the 6C ones). @thewkong has tested the i3-8100 successfully with the 4 and 6 core bios mod. I did not mod anything to fix HT nor change the SKU. (1/29/19: I did end up fixing some additional things and changing the SKU to Z370 a few iterations ago). If you are a well-informed brave soul, please let me know if this works for you. Reference to the Coffee Lake on Z170/270 thread: [GUIDE] Coffee Lake CPUs on Skylake and Kaby Lake motherboards

CHANGELOG:

-Update EFI GOP SKL-CFL 9.0.1080
-Update OROM VBIOS SKL-KBL 1059

-Update Intel CPU Microcode 506E3 SKL rev C2 #Spectre fix for Sky Lake
-Update Intel CPU Microcode 906E9 KBL rev 84 #Spectre fix for Kaby Lake
-Add Intel CPU Microcode 906EA CFL rev 96 #Support for 6C Coffee Lake CPU e.g. i5-8400, i5-8600K, i7-8700K (?)
-Add Intel CPU Microcode 906EC CFL(r) rev 84 #Support for 9th gen Intel CPU e.g. i9-9600K

2018-08-16_13-12-58 .png

8/31/2018 UPDATE

-Removed Intel CPU Microcode 906EC
-Add Intel CPU Microcode 906EB CFL rev 72 #Support for 4C Coffee Lake CPU e.g. i3-8100

12/12/2018 UPDATE

-Changed SKU to Z370
-Updated the 6 core BIOS download (top file)
-Updated description of the second file download to reflect that it will probably only work with 4 core CFL (unchanged SKU)

With the pin short and pin isolation mods, I was able to get a 9600K running on this mobo. I’m having some issues with Windows and SATA devices, but I’m posting this from Safe mode, so it’s not a total disaster!

12/12/2018 UPDATE #2

-Update Intel CPU Microcode 506E3 SKL rev C6
-Update Intel CPU Microcode 906E9 KBL rev 9A
-Update Intel CPU Microcode 906EA CFL rev 9A
-Update Intel CPU Microcode 906EC CFL rev A2
-Fixed ACPI tables
-Updated network drivers

Now I’m able to boot into Windows normally, but my SATA hdd is still not recognized. I also got a bluescreen a few minutes into Windows. I may need to clean install windows and move the HDD to external to see if that clears up my issues.

asrockz170-9600k-1.png

12/13/2018 UPDATE

-Patched all core sync with @svarmod 's CoffeeTime utility. Now changes to CPU ratio apply to all 6 cores on the 9600K when stress testing, nice! Download link updated with this latest BIOS.

Also, I learned that leaving voltage on Auto for the stock clocks results in freezes in Windows and BSODs because I don’t think the mobo is feeding the CPU enough power. Maybe it’s an LLC thing? Setting voltage manually ensures stability, so if you use one of these modded BIOSes, I would manually set voltage until you figure out your sweet spot, just to be safe.

12/14/2018 UPDATE

Did some more work in CoffeeTime, replacing some of my manual mods with scripts from that utility (specifically chang SKU to Z370, ACPI patch, all core sync patch. Vbios and gop patched myself. Latest microcodes for 506E3, 906E9, 906EA, and 906EC added myself)
-iGPU works
-My SATA ports work again
-Stock clocks and auto voltage still result in freezing/BSOD in windows, so need to pay attention to voltage yourself.

Link updated.

DOWNLOAD:

ASRock Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac P7.10 BIOS Coffee Lake mod (supports 6 core CFL 8xxx and 9xxx series–updated with new microcodes, changed SKU to Z370, ACPI fix, and all core sync)

ASRock Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac P7.10 BIOS Coffee Lake mod (supports 4 core CFL, would not try this with 6 core 8xxx series)

Last Update:
12/14/2018

5/16/2021 edit:

I haven’t looked at this for a couple of years, but sounds like the 6core bios file got lost in the ether somewhere. I am not 100% sure this is the bios file I am currently running, but it’s the most likely candidate from looking through my old hard drive back ups.

https://mega.nz/file/fvhUkRSA#25O_ecCiaZ…E0iLdy4r5da8j5M

I have this motherboard however I have an I3-8100 which is only a 4 core CPU. Hopefully it will work because I’m not sure if I can I figure out how to mod the bios by myself. I will report back after I test it.

Hey @thewkong , I didn’t include the microcode to support the 4-core Coffee Lake CPUs, so it’s probably not going to work. If you give me a couple of days, I could probably edit it to work.

UPDATE: @thewkong I removed the microcode for unreleased CPUs and added in the microcode for 4 core Coffee Lake. It should also still support the first-run Skylake and Kabylake CPUs, which you will need to update the BIOS. New modded bios here.

Oh that is great. I will test it later today and report back. Thanks in advance.

Ok. I was able to flash the BIOS and my Skylake CPU still works but the computer would not stay on when I installed the i3-8100 coffee Lake CPU. The power light stayed on for about 1 second and then it would turn off. When I reinstalled my Skylake CPU, the computer turned on and seems to be running fine. Hopefully we can figure out how to make the i3-8100 work on this motherboard.

Hmm, that’s disappointing. Would you mind posting your findings in the main thread here? Maybe we can get some help there.

Ok I will post it.

What BIOS were you on prior to flashing the modded BIOS? What is your current Intel ME version? This might account for your issue.

I was thinking ME version was not mentioned too, I believe it needs to be an older version like 11.0.0.1911

I was on BIOS 7.3

I thought of that also. Is there a way to downgrade Intel ME

Yes, it’s possible, through many various methods. Search around for how to on Asrock and you’ll find a way. Easiest is if you have flash programmer, but it’s usually possible without.

Ok I just checked. My motherboard has ME 11.8.50.3425

See posts #116 here and #122 on next page, for how to downgrade your ME - [GUIDE] Coffee Lake CPUs on Skylake and Kaby Lake motherboards (8)

Yes, that ME is too high. Need to shoot for 11.6.x or lower I believe.

Edit: The behavior you describe where it turns on for a second and then powers down mimics the behavior others have experienced where it is thought to be a result of the Intel ME shutting down the system when it encounters a CPU that it does not want to allow to boot through.

I read the thread on downgrading the ME. The instructions are very vague. I guess they meant for someone who is more advanced and I’m new to this.

Thank you anyway for trying out the BIOS. It’s good feedback, and I’m glad nothing is broken!

No prob. If I figure out how to downgrade the ME. I will report back

@thewkong - the instructions are very specific, so yes it must look vague to you because your not familiar with that kind of thing. A week or two ago I made a guide, in order to remove a similar lock, not the same, but similar guide to utilize the method you need for unlocking ME so you can flash to older ME.
Here is that guide, again this is not for this specific issue, but more to familiarize yourself with this process through a guided process with images, tools, and method shown on removing a similar lock - [GUIDE] Grub Setup_Var Guide - Fix Intel FPT Error 368 - BIOS Lock Bit Set HSFS W/ Asus or Other Mod BIOS

You’ve already tried to flash backwards using the FW update tool, correct and it failed? Have you researched and found the version of ME you want to use?
As mentioned, I think it does need to be 11.6.xx.xx but I am not sure if there is a specific best one or suggested one to use etc, assuming maybe you read around and found this info already.
If yes, please specify the ME, and I will put together a package for you and anyone else in this thread that needs it later. I’ll show you exact ME FW update command to use, and or create BIOS from this BIOS in thread with the older ME, so you can then flash BIOS once ME Lock is removed.

To shorten the steps needed, I have looked in this BIOS already, and the setup_var variable you need to change is this (For this specific BIOS only) >> 0x3E
Change this variable from 0x1 to 0x0. This can be done following the guide I linked above, or I can create a BIOS for you with this already unlocked within it and including any specific ME you want and it will all get flashed at once when you reflash BIOS

And here is quick guide I made on how to do this mod to the BIOS itself (Enable ME Re-Flash), in spoiler at post 4068
Obviously this guide was meant for that specific BIOS, so do not use the values provided there, only follow method to find this boards values and change via hex
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools (272)
If this method is used, you need to insert ME version you want into the BIOS too.

Wow. It worked!!! Lost N Bios you were absolutely correct. I was changing the variable 0x28 but I should have changed 0x3e from 0x1 to 0x0. I was able to downgrade the ME after that and I flashed my motherboard with the bios that ultimahwhat modded and it worked. My i3-8100 now works with my z170 fatal1ty itx board. Thank you guys because I wouldn’t have been able to figure it out.