[OFFER] Asus Crosshair V Formula 1703 mod BIOS

@rednik

Sounds like maybe you have some remains from your old bios that cause problems. Here is how to get rid of it (If it is your problem):

- Download the Bios again.
- Verify the checksum to be sure there was no download corruption.
- Flash it.
- Restart, enter the bios, load default setting, save and restart.
- Enter the Bios, now you can put your own custom settings, save and restart.

This is the only way to get rid of old Bios remains that corrupt your settings with a new Bios. If it is your problem, that will take care of it.

no nothing works, I change bios to orginal try to reset it wait to full battery discharge about hour, time is not reset. i found program to delete boot entry "bootice" this information pxe -e01: pci vendor and device ids do not match" deasapired but when i innstal system apired again, no nvram disk in boot priorites,.
bios rom have 2 parts maybe this other part of 8mb chipset is corupted maybe i need to reprogram bios with 8mb rom dump.
sorry for my English

ok i read that old formula 5 hava problem with bios chipset i have winbound 25Q32BVAIG i order it in ali.
if you have other please tell me.
i found only 1 pictures with bios chip number and is diferent mx25l3206epi-12g.
i dont have this mobo by new maybe someon change bios chipset

Phoenix first and foremost I want to thank you for your work and dedication on this Bios.

I came across this forum out of simple curiosity to see if it were possible to boot windows on a NVME drive through PCIE, and here I found this.

I didn’t have any problems updating the Firmware, installing windows and getting into windows.

The only thing I’m having issues with is trying stop my board from trying to boot into PCIE gen 2, and then IDE and then finally windows.

If that doesn’t make sense, what seems to be happening is it boots and looks for PCIE GEN 2 then says no device found, reboots them looks for IDE, then reboots into windows.

This doesn’t harm anything I’m able to get into windows it’s just annoying and takes a little longer then I expect.

TIA

@Decembersend

What you describe is not the normal behavior. I suggest you first check to be sure you have the right boot order and the right settings in the Bios. Other than that, it is hard to guess the problem, but i will try some guess anyway in case one of them point you in the right direction…

- One possility is that it remains some old ghosts of your old bios settings from the original Bios that produce that odd behavior. In that case, you must reflash the new Bios AND then load the bios default settings, save, then restart before putting back your usual settings.

- Verify that your Windows install on your new NVMe drive was installed in UEFI mode. If not, it may be an explanation why it looks for the NVMe drive, expect but don’t find an UEFI boot on it and then try to boot back in legacy IDE mode to find the legacy Windows boot file. If the Windows EFI boot file is not found or not there, that could explain the fallback to legacy boot in IDE. The problem can be related in some way to that.

- Somewhat related to the last one: The fact that you say it looks for a NVMe drive and say it doesn’t find it at first but boot later in IDE makes me ask you to verify to be sure that your NVMe drive was fomated in BOTH “NTFS” AND “GPT” because that is what it will expect to find on a NVMe drive.

Hope this help.

@Phoenix48 Please help! I need guide update AMD AGESA OrochiPI v1.5.0.0. Thanks!!!

@sazan123

To make a short answer, i will point you to this post.

Yup I was trying to boot from MBP. Thanks for this.

Hello, I tried to boot an EFI usb from “UEFI:VolumeName” on my boot menu but it doesn’t boot… I also tried in another computer (with a different mobo) and the usb is able to boot, do you have a clue of what is wrong ? Thanks

@acasas

Here is the list i would verify to help pinpoint the problem:

- Verify that your other motherboard was not in Legacy compatible mode. If it was, test, without it. The answer can help in knowing if the problem is really the USB key or the compatibility with the motherboard.
- Verify that your USB key is in GPT.
- Verify if the format makes a differrence: NTFS, FAT32, etc. Some Bios are more restrictive on what they accept.
- Verify that your partition on the USB key is Active.
- Try making your USB key with another program. Example: If you did it with Rufus, then try Unetbootin or Imageusb.
- You can also try using Ventoy.

Hope this help.

Thanks for your answer! Do you know which FS format are supported by the crosshair formula v?

PD: I’m trying to install MacOS with OpenCore (I know is very hackie, but i like to experiment) from dortania github io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/installer-guide/mac-install.html#downloading-macos-modern-os, I’m sure the usb is GPT and maybe because the FS format (HFS+) can’t boot
PD2: the other motherboard where I tried to boot (and it’s working fine) it’s a, asus saberthooth z87 (intel)

@acasas

Unfortunately, i never tested that. My guess is that because the Formula V got one of the first UEFI Bios (not even Secure Boot yet, that part is a good thing…), it is probable that the list of FS supported are at the minimum for the time. This should mean, for sure, FAT(FAT16 and/or FAT16B), FAT32, NTFS, exFAT and, probably, Ext3 and Ext4. Beyond that, i doubt the compatibility for anything else was implemented yet. One thing is for sure, HFS+ was surely low in the priority at the time.

Thanks a lot! I’ll try to make the usb boot as legacy then, I installed the stable MOD version in my crosshair mobo and PATA is listed on my bootable devices, so i guess it is working, thanks for the MOD and thanks for your reply, this deserves a beer in your paypal account

hello, my name is Dave, i was useing ur bios for some time now: CV-F-1703.ROM with AGESA OrochiPI v1.5.0.0 mod v16 (Stable), 1ssd as boot, 2xwd500
2 days ago i had some kind of breakdown - pc froze while in win764sp1, hard restart and "boot read error" or something
at first i was thinking that it was ssd /win releated problem however im back in "IDE mode", drives dont show up @ AHCI mode at all however i can see them in "boot options" (also i dont see my gpu @ gpu.dimm post)
im not blameing ur bios cuz my pc is bit overclocked (tested / stable, maybe bad settings) however any advice? could my sb get damged or smth?

@xHx

From the symptoms you described, the most likely suspect is that your MBR or GPT filesystem (boot file) is corrupted on the disk. Try to find a good program to try to rebuild and fix it and see if it helped. Sometimes it is just a corruption by bad luck… But sometimes it is caused by bad sectors on the disk affecting the boot file. To be sure, you should scan for bad sectors.

A much more less likely possibility (It is rare but not impossible) would be that your Bios was flashed but some of the old settings of the old original Bios remained behind and corrupt your Bios settings. This could lead to very various unexpected behaviors. If you want to be sure this is not the problem, a true clean flash is needed:

- Enter the Bios and reflash again the new Bios v16 then restart.
- Enter the Bios, load the default settings, save and restart. (This is the critical step for a clean flash)
- Enter the Bios again, put back all your custom personnal settings you want, save and restart.
- That’s it. Now you are sure nothing from an old Bios remains. If the problem is still there after a clean flash, you can at least be sure it doesn’t come from the Bios.

hey there, thx for the reply and suggestions :slight_smile:

u wont believe it, even i dont, everything cambe back to normal state (sory for my eng, might be weak sometimes), recenty i changed gpu to a new one (rx5700), everything works fine except my lcd dided
i removed every disc, ram and put back 2gether, cleared cmos etc
i wont tuch bios (yours) i believe its fine, it was more releated to a hardware compatiblity, i still dont see gpu name @ Gpu.dimmpost, not a problem
however i must to say that after flashing to your bios i was able to reach max mhz for my ddr3 :), before my max was like ~2000, after flashing i can do 2200, 2400
thx man for the work, i think this socket is kinda dead but i wish i’d be able to use ur stuff in future :slight_smile:

Do you have a version that only includes the feature to boot from PATA drivers (nvme) ?

@acasas

No, i don’t have that. But you can make one yourself with this tutorial. Is there any good reasons why you don’t want the rest updated also?

@Phoenix48 I have this motherboard, the Asus Crosshair V Formula, i have bought an m.2 nmve sdd and a m.2 to pci-e adapter, i followed all the tutorial on the 1st topic, and for me didn’t work at all.
In Bios, on the boot tab now i have a new option, and it shows a new detected item named PATA.

I tried to first boot with this PATA (i presume this is the m.2 nmve ssd), but didn’t boot for windows, and even doesn’t reconized the m.2 ssd.

I don’t know what else i may do.

@Flygye

Yes, PATA is your NVMe drive. The fact that you see it in the Bios suggest that the Bios is probably not the problem. Instead, I suspect Windows to be your problem. My guess is that Windows have no NVMe driver installed in it. And it won’t install one automatically at start up so it get stuck not knowing what to do with the drive. This is the same problem as when you switch from IDE to AHCI or vice-versa in the Bios but forget to install the Windows driver first: Windows get stuck. Install the Windows NVMe driver and it should be working. This is the first thing i would try.