[OFFER] ASUS P8Z77-V Series BIOSes modded with latest modules

The Asus P8Z77-V PRO disables the two Sata ports when enabling the pcie 2.0 slot. It states this in the bios as you select the X4 Option.

Hello there; I hadnā€™t checked this in a bit and sorry for slow replies.

To answer about what nay said for the boot of Windows on the older/other drives; yes, the other drives should boot, and was not a problem. It could be done using the boot menu from BIOS directly to trigger the OS install on the older SSD like normal.

I am glad you were able to resolve the configuration that got them working on your system.

Reading the above posts it appears all has been mostly figured out.

As for the file name, yes, it should be correct for the Pro, and it should work for anyone that has concerns. Itā€™s really only the last official 2104 BIOS release with the NVMe addition added and none of the other more sophisticated things that could be. Iā€™m not the one for figuring out that other stuff.

I did not think to note that the second gen Sandy Bridge processors limit the NVMe to the still even older speed standard, but yeah, thatā€™s true.

There are speed gains, tho, over all, but they arenā€™t miraculous for the drives; I know there is technical and OS driven reasons why real world performance and test speeds have such wide disparity and maybe arenā€™t too different from older SSD drives.

But ā€˜future proofingā€™ for the potentiality of the speeds the ā€˜old hardwareā€™ could do someday is now possible when software figures it out.

For me Iā€™ve found the time gains you do get (on Win10), a few seconds here and there but adding up continuously, these are ultimately noticeable gains, especially for certain large programs. Also large file movement from location to location on the same drive, like cloning and what not, is fast. Over all it has a snappier response, tho Iā€™d like to see the higher speeds pushed in actual usage vs disk test software, but I suppose that awaits further development /shrug

Still, itā€™s fun to add an updated feature to old tech, so I think worth doing

Anyone Advise on this
I have an old Nvidia Quadro K2000D Graphics card I use at work on the Asus P8Z77-V PRO board and have fitted a HighPoint Rocket 1204 x 4 NVMe M.2 HBA PCIe Gen3 Storage Solution Card to give me a total of 4 M.2 NVMe SSD.
What I would like to know is which PCIe slots would be most recommended to use on the Asus P8Z77-V PRO for both Nvidia K2000D and Highpoint Rocket 1204 so I am getting maximum performance?
My CPU is i7 2600k
Currently have the Nvidia K2000D Graphics card in Slot 2 PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16_1 slot (single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode)
And the Highpoint Rocket 1204 PCIe card in Slot 5 PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16_2 slot (at x8 mode)
Any help appreciated

I thought you were well aware of this by nowā€¦ with a Sandy you wont get past PCIe2.0.

The bandwidth/lanes is a shared PCIe2.0 between the PCIeX16_1(Blue) and the PCIeX16_2(White), if both populated it will be x8x8 no mater if the Rocket uses only x4.

The black one is always a PCIe2.0 even with a Ivy cpu and you already know how this one works. The same applies to the other slots when in PCIe3.0 mode.

Only users using IGPU and Ivy can achieve maximum performance of a NVMe Gen3, using it on the PCIeX16_1 aka a Nvme disk PCIe3.0x4, but as you stand its always PCIe2.0x4

The option you have its simple, the black one for the NVMe but you can loose those SATA ports, quoted by you.

I understand I can only get PCIe Gen 2 it was more to do with the PCIe lanes. I am unsure what would happen if I was to have the full 4 NVMe cards in the Highpoint Roocket in Slot 5 which is a PCIe x8 would I still get the full speed on each of the four NVMe cards?

Oh you got 4ā€¦damm, didnt noticed that.
Well by the Rocket specsā€¦(just went to see the specs) its needs x8 lanes so thats exactly what you gonna get from the internal Z77 switch on both PCIeX16_1 & 2, in this case the black slot is not an option here.
The card itself manages the bus as it have BIF support for the allocated NVMe disks.

Great thanks for the info.

Deleted

Deleted

Thank you for collaboration. I successfully modded my BIOS using your mod and installed W10 to my NVMe drive.

Hi! The links seem not valid anymore. could you upload them again? Thx

Hi all. Iā€™m trying boot off an nvme drive on an add-in pcie card on an old p8z77 non-pro board.

I think I understand the process, but all of the links above are dead.

Anyone care to upload the p8z77-v (non-pro non-deluxe non-m) 2104 bios mod again?

Or, modify it anew from the latest bios: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V/P8Z77-V-ASUS-2104.zip?model=P8Z77-V

Iā€™m currently on mac without access to tinkering on a windows machine and frankly, donā€™t have the skillset to pull it off in a meaningful amount of time.

Anyway, much appreciated if anyone could lend a hand. Iā€™ve got 20TB of footage on an inaccessible storage space partition I hope to saveā€¦

P8Z77-V_v2104_NVMeA_UBU.rar (4.1 MB)

EFI Intel RST for SATA - 13.1.0.2126
OROM Intel RST for SATA - 13.1.0.2126
EFI NVMe Driver present
EFI GOP Driver IvyBridge - 3.0.1030
EFI GOP Driver SandyBridge - 2.0.1024
EFI Intel PRO1000 UNDI - 6.6.04
OROM Intel Boot Agent GE - 1.5.62
All cpu mcodes up to date

USB BFB ONLY, not EZ-Flash or OS environment.
It is advisable to have a separate USB disk with the untouched bios file for any recover procedure.

EDIT: Yes, BFB is correct for your assumptionā€¦
Every Asus mb bios file has to be renamed for certain operationsā€¦like USB BFB, didnā€™t you ever notice this note on any bios file update, in Asus product support page?..damm this means you never used this or updated any Asus mbā€¦thats bad for anyone engaging in mod worldā€¦
It doesnā€™t need to be renamed when using EZ-Flash or AISuite, but this is NOT to be used in mods for every boards with USB BFB feature.

Da man! Thanks a bunch, @MeatWar .

NooB Q: USB BFB would be the flashback method, right?

Also:

The original .cap file from asus is called P8Z77-V-ASUS-2104.CAP and the modded version is Z77VB.CAP

Am I to use the former or latter name?

Yes!

The latter name is required, if you are going to flash it via USB Flashback.

1 Like

Oh, Iā€™ve tinkered plenty and updated a gazillion bioses since the early 90s, but you know, life, kids, using mostly macs nowadays. Itā€™s been a while and the amount of info on here is daunting. Also, honestly donā€™t remember having to rename asus bios files, but ya know, probably forgot. Thanks so much for your time, help and mod efforts!

Thanks!

Thanks again

I may have been stupid or need a pointer more. I flashed it succesfully and it boots. However, it doesnā€™t recognise the samsung 980 pro nvme drive on the the asus hyper m.2 x4 mini riser card in any slot.

Is this a pcie4-card-wonā€™t-work-in-pcie3-only-MB situation? From my reading it should be backwards compatible, so hoping Iā€™m just missing a setting or detail.

Also, Iā€™m coming to realise it doesnā€™t seem likely that Iā€™ll be able to boot into an existing windows ntfs install on this particular nvme?

Well, this was the first step that you should took when arriving to our forumā€¦

This is the main article/guide that led to all successful NVMe mods, which is presented by our beloved forum founder Fernando, encouraging all users to do the mod themselves, read it and it will enrich your knowledge.
If you skip the notes on step 4ā€¦ you will fail.

[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS - Special Topics / NVMe Support for old Systems - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)