[OFFER] Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H NVMe Mod

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS ,

I registered exclusively to ask you this: what are the differences between this H77-DS3H bios mod and the one in page 3 ([removed link]file_id=55986290816109897419)?

As I see, the nomenclature in the most recent one, appart from being from August instead of January, is "F16b". The last downloadable BIOS update at Gigabyte’s ([removed gigabyte web link]/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_ga-h77-ds3h_f10.exe) is F10, so F16b looks like a newer, beta version. Where did you get it from? How does it compare to F10 in terms of improvements?

I already patched last official available one by myself before finding this thread but still didn’t flashed it, so I wonder if there would be any differences. I assume you used the full NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs for patching as there wasn’t any space limitations when I attempted it. Am I right?

Thanks for your work :wink:

Hi again! While waiting for @Lost_N_BIOS reply, I attempted flashing my bios but only was able with the F10 modded one. F16b returned some error in the flash app.

Still, haven’t been able to see the unit under Windows 7; have to read the instructions more closely.

Hi! As I told in my two previous messages, I came here because I own a ga-h77-ds3h and was trying to put a NVMe drive on it.

First of all I want to thank @Lost_N_BIOS again and say that I succeeded and avoided the hassle of doing a native Windows 7 install with NVME support by just cloning my existing partition, which worked great.

Secondly, as this mobo has only two PCIe x16, one a 3.0 and the other one being a 2.0 one and working only at 4x despite having a 16x "physical" connector (which limits its theoretical speed to 2000 MB/s, below the speed of current NVMe drives), I had the doubt of which of them should host my graphic card and which one the drive.

Me current setup is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 on the PCIe 3.0 x16 (as the specifications say this is the card’s bus), directly interfaced to the CPU, and the NVMe, via a PCIe adapter, to the PCIe 2.0 x4 port (connected to the PCIe bus which is shared between all th eother PCIe slots, lan and legacy PCI slots and then to the chipset and finally to the CPU). I’m concerned about the performance loss. The theoretical 2000 MB/s should be enough as I have chosen explicitly a drive with not much better specifications, in order to not waste money unnecesarily. Even though, the maxium read and write speeds I’m getting on CrystalDisk are about 1500 and 1200, respectively. People are reporting about 2200 and 1600, respectively, with this same model.

I’m going to test swapping the slots when I finish work, but I’d love to hear your recommendations, specially @jumpingjackflash5 ones, based on daily experience. Similar to you, I don’t play demanding games; my graphic card setup is to have the ability to run 3 monitors (something our mobo already supports, although on Windows 7 I could only run 2 of them simultaneosly… but the full three setup on Linux! At FullHD maximum), one of them in 4K at 60 Hz, but that’s almost all.

My main concern is overall performance loss of the system due to sharing the PCIe bus and interfacing with the chipset. Could it be possible that, when using, for instance, a PCI analog capture card and Ethernet Gigabit connection performance degrades? And also on the other hand: if I put the graphic card on the PCIe 2.0 x4 and it’s a bottleneck for it, could overall performance "throttle"? Any thoughts?

Finally, has anyone been able to flash the F16b version BIOS??

@luixlux28 - Sorry for late reply, please let me know what post # is the dead link BIOS you requested, thanks
* Edit - I think you mean post #23, correct? - [OFFER] Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H NVMe Mod (3)
If yes, I checked all the links, all four links there are still valid and working. Where can you download from, I will add mirror for you for Z77-D3H Rev 1.0-1.1 F23b NVME mod BIOS

@Perepandel - Sorry for the late reply as well! The link you posted is broken, please edit that post, or post new links in a reply, which BIOS you are wanting to know about.
Looks like you left out a link too, you mentioned “This BIOS” vs the one you linked, but neither is a link? I even looked to see if your post was edited, and someone removed links, and it has not, so I can’t even see your intended link
So, please post links to two BIOS, or posts where the BIOS are posted, and then maybe I can answer

OK, I see from your quote, one BIOS is at post #90 here, that is stock H77-D3H BIOS modified by me for NVME mod + Qflash block removal (if necessary) only.
BIOS is official last beta posted on the main website for this board at Gigabyte’s page - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-…support-dl-bios

I think you maybe thought this BIOS was for DS3H, it’s not, that F16b is D3H BIOS You are correct, latest BIOS for H77-DS3H is F10
BIOS at page 3, post #40 is NVME mod BIOS for your DS3H board

x4 lane width is all you need, or can use, for NVME. If you are not a gamer, move your PCIE graphics card to the 2.0 x4 slot, and put your NVME in the 3.0 x16 slot
You should still be able to run three monitors that way, but I can’t comment on any gaming in this state, I don’t play games so I don’t know.

Nothing should be degraded due to all connected items you mention, the only thing that would be is whichever of the two above mentioned items and where you install them

To install OS to NVME after you flash in mod BIOS, see step #4 “Installation of the OS onto the NVME” in the following thread, do all steps exactly
[Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Make sure USB with windows install is on GPT initialized drive, and target disk is either RAW or initialized as GPT as well

Thanks a lot for your reply, @Lost_N_BIOS ! Well, as you already discovered my links are “broken”… due to not being able to post them as I am a newbie, so I have to edit them but tried to keep a significant enough part in order to be able to “reconstruct” them somehow…

Yeah, now I see I mistakenly took that H77-D3H for a DS3H one :(. Now I understand by I couldn’t flash mine with that BIOS version, lol.

My disk cloning worked perfectly for tranferring the Windows 7 and everything into the new drive without the need of a fresh reinstall and to allow me boot from it, so I am very happy with that. In case I had to reinstall, which is what I want to avoid, I would opt for a newer OS, like Windows 10, which comes with NVMe support without that amount of hassle, hehe.

I’ll post my benchmarks here after I switch the PCIe slots to see if there is any noticeable performance gain (or loss).

I installed the bios, nvme drive is detected but my old sata drive with AHCI mode Windows 10 cannot be detected. :frowning:

When I switch to IDE all drives are detected but the drive still cannot be booted. When in AHCI mode, only some drives are detected.

Please show me how to fix the bug.

@nickground - Make sure your old drive is connected to the Intel ports at SATA_0-SATA_4, keep SATA_5 for CD/DVD. Also, check manual for your model, if you are using the onboard M2 slot, some boards disable some SATA slots if M2 slot is in-use.
Leave BIOS in AHCI, no need ever to use IDE mode If you are trying to boot to your old drive, that is not ideal with new OS installed on NVME, due to the way bootloader works. If/when you want to do that, remove NVME
If you did not remove all drives when you setup the NVME OS, redo that again, and follow all directions at step #4 of this guide exactly, then once done connect your other drives back - [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@Perepandel - Glad you got it all sorted out now

Yeah, @Lost_N_BIOS ! I did the test of swapping cards/ports and got the same figure on the disk, so as my graphic card is a high-profile one and I would need to remove a PCI card in order to put it on the PCIe 4x 2.0 and no performance gain on my NVMe, I’ve kept it as I did from the beginning. It seems this mobo is already at its maximum capacity!

@Perepandel - Are you sure?? What CPU do you have? PCIE 2.0 slot should be half the speed you see on the PCIE 3.0 slot (x16 slot), so NVME should be twice as fast on the x16 port due to PCIE 2.0 vs 3.0

I use the SSD NVMe drive in the PCIe X16 (3.0) slot. I have put graphic card (in my case Radeon RX 550) into PCIe X4 slot and I do not have any problems with graphics performance.
I use this config for several years now and Z77-DS3H is still going strong.

Just register to give a big thanks to Lost_N_BIOS for the GA-Z77X-D3H mod.

@Trocatintas - Thanks for taking the time to join us and give thanks!

@Lost_N_BIOS
Hi

Could you please create nvme mod for HP-1791, Bios version K51 v01. 87

@Pludech - Please make your own thread, thanks. HP is a pain, usually, hopefully you have flash programmer!

Guys, hello everyone, and many thanks for the efforts on modding the BIOS in part of NVMe work on the GA-Z77-DS3H board. Yesterday was stitched BIOS from the first message of this topic, and the SSD became bootable with Windows10, that’s wonderful! I would like to ask the owners of this board to post the ssd test results in CrystalDiskMark. I have this:

SSD: MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro 480GB (PHISON E12 Controller), installed in the second blue slot (with PCI-E 2.0).
Confused that the read speed in Q1T1 is low (not much different from the regime PCI-E 1.0)

@Krukermann - Looks in-line with their testing results, and considering you are using 2.0 instead of 3.0
Put in 3.0 slot and will be much better

best regards,…
thanks for the Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Bios for NVMe support, my version of the motherboard is v1.1. But here I have a problem, I can’t use the GPU Card as the main display, I can only use the Onboard Graphic. I put the NVMe with the M.2 NVME PCIe X4 adapter on the PCIe X4 lane. If I remove the NVMe adapter, my GPU is running normally.
Has anyone experienced the same problem? Was there anything wrong I did? Or is there something in Bios that I need to set up?

@Langit - What is your CPU, IVY or Sandy? Did you test NVME card in last PCIE slot (IVY ONLY). That would be the ideal slot if you have IVY CPU.
But, it should be fine in 2nd PCIE slot too, but would make first PCIE slot run at x8 only. Or, maybe your GPU does not like to run at x8?

Maybe you have faulty adapter card? Can you test it on another system, or while using onboard graphics, to confirm it’s OK/bootable/usable?
That, or move it to the third/last slot, if you have IVY CPU (Sandy it will work too, but only at PCIE 2.0)

I Have a H77 DS3H. Found this forum after million of searches. Just triying the Mod. Thankyou for post it :slight_smile:

@Robs - You’re welcome! If you can’t find BIOS for your model let me know and I’ll find it for you