[OFFER] MSI Z87 G45 Gaming (MS-7821) BIOS_v1.9

Hi Hancor,

Thanks for the modded Bios and support you offered.

I have a situation here which is quite weird and would like to have your opinions.

I manage to flash the bios in #1, install WD SN550 250GB on an PCI-E x4 adapter. However it is not detected when I put it in PCI-E5 so I pull out my graphic card on PCI-E2 and put the adapter PCI-E2. It works on PCI-E2 and I manage to boot and install Windows 10pro on the NVME. I put the graphic card on PCI-E5 but the graphic card doesn’t work too on that slot. The BIOS report that the slot is empty. I put back the graphic card to PCI-E2 and the NVME adapter in PCI-E7. No joy too. BIOS does not see the adapter as it shows that the slot is empty.

I already disable CSM through Windows 8 feature. Checked CPU socket pins, all pins are fine, no bend. Cleaned the PCI-E slot with blush but still doesn’t work.

I have exhausted all leads and have no clues as to how to troubleshoot further.

Do you have any clues on what has gone wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers.

@Fredrick_c

So no device (PCIe_M.2/GPU) is being detected on E5 or E7… bios defaults loaded with CSM OFF/AUTO?
Wot cpu, if iGPU, with GPU out try again the E5/E7 only with the PCIe_M.2 adaptor.
Strange the non-detection of any device in both slots and 3 different devices… slot malfunction/failure?

97Hi MeatWar,

Thanks for your attention.

Bios by default is loaded with CSM enabled, but with WIndows 8 features on the CSM will be off. It was mentioned in post #38.
It is MSI Z87-G45 motherboard, Intel 4770k CPU, MSI N760 Graphic card ( Nvidia GTX 760) GPU.
I tried with only the NVME adapter on PCI-E5 and PCI-E7, both also not working.

The slots has been empty since I bought the system few years back so I am not sure they are faulty. Could it be CPU’s fault? I planning to buy a H97 or Z97 motherboard to replace it if the motherboard is faulty.

Cheers!

CPU fault…no.
The 3 PCIe x16 slots r connected to the CPU bus not PCH… so besides the advice of always choose E2 as single GPU configuration it doesnt mean that a GPU can t work in E5/E7, thats a clue for
something not ok with the slots.
Dont want to tell that u have a HW failure in that slots but having no detection of 2 different devices…
U may try to do a clean up/blow and some light spray of electric anti-moisture on the motherboard/slots, also do a careful visual inspection with a magnifier. ive encounter many hardware like that, isolated sata/pcie/dimm…

Thanks MeatWar.
I will try to do that but most likely it is a gone case. My sata 3 is not working too. It has bricked 2 SATA SSDs. Guess the motherboard has some problems. BTW between MSI and Gigabyte motherboard which is more reliable in your opinion.

Regards,
Fredrick

My opinion only… in same gen of HW, Z87/Z97…ill prefer Gigabyte, more recent HW gen, maybe MSI.

Thank you :slight_smile:
Appreciate your helps and opinion.
Regards,
Fredrick

Hello Hancor,

thanks for the bios, it works very well on one of my computer with a Xeon 3,5 mghz, but with the other I7-4790k (it’s also works :)), when I try to restart after going into the bios or ask windows to restart, it doesn’t work… The screen stay black and I have to reboot the machine.
Do you have an idea to fiw this?
Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks for the work.

Regards

Gaël

Does it make sense to use NvmExpressDxe_5.ffs (09/20/2021) instead of NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs (04/18/2018)?

Given that the modded BIOS/UEFI already works, it is probably not going to make a huge difference.
The primary consideration is that the BIOS/UEFI actually boots.
In short, if it is not broken, do you still need to “fix” it?

Cheers

Hans

Thanks for the answer and your work with the bios.

I am using the Samsung PM9A1 (MZVL21T0HCLR-00B00) via the AMPCOM M.2 NVME PCIe 4.0 adapter in the first PCIe 3.0 slot. SSD may not be detected on first boot (and after several reboots) and it almost always stops being detected after Windows 10 restarts. Using the EFI shell (> drivers) I see that the driver NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs is loaded, but the SSD is not detected.

I tried using default settings, changing PCIe ports settings, turning off Fast Boot, etc. But the problem remains.

In short, if it is not broken, do you still need to “fix” it?

I read that in NvmExpressDxe_5.ffs fixed some bugs, but without details. Maybe my case is one of the fixed bugs :slight_smile:

@ASM

At your request, I’ve deleted the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs and replaced with NvmExpressDxe_5.ffs

All other parts remain as in the first post.

Back up all your important files, and then you can see if this works for you.

Cheers

Hans :innocent:

E7821IMS.rar (5.9 MB)

1 Like

Thank you for care.

BIOS flashed without any problem and the NVMe driver is working fine. I will test further.

It is also possible that the problem with detecting and losing SSD speed is related to an unstable or overestimated BCLK frequency what affects PCIe (= BCLK Frequency, PLL Selection, Filter PLL). Keep in mind.

@ASM

When doing BIOS/UEFI mods you keep everything at stock settings, to ensure initial overall stability.

Changing memory or CPU timings, otherwise known as overclocking, will naturally introduce instabilities.

If you know what you are doing, one can do the overclocking safely. But then it is up you to find those limits, and whether they are $worth$ the instability/voltage risks…

The best way is to find the absolute limits of the hardware and then back off 10% to ensure longevity of the hardware. Overvolting, and pushing the hardware, via higher memory and CPU timings, especially on older stuff doesn’t necessarily lead to computing happiness! :joy:

You’ll find out very quickly what your “$hardware$” budget is by unnecessarily damaging your system. :innocent: Praying for recovery from hardware failure is hardly the advice one would give for computing success.

Of course your mileage may vary on how hard you want to lean on God’s electronic shoulder… :innocent:

“Nicht mit de finger gepoken in das blinken lights!” :dizzy_face: :face_with_monocle:

Computing happiness is a fine balance between risk and reward.
All one need to do is ask yourself:

“If I don’t change these settings, am I still happy with my computing experience?”

Cheers

Hans

Just flashed my old mobo with this BIOS (with NvmExpressDxe_5.ffs). Works out-of-box. with new bootable NVME drive it’s blazzing fast. Thank you!

@quaker

Delighted…enjoy your speedy rig! :wink: :innocent:

Cheers

Hans

Hello. What ssd do you have? If not difficult, write the full name. Because I want to buy myself an ssd too, but I don’t know which one. And another question, is everything updated in this modified BIOS and I just need to upload the last published file to a USB flash drive and update?

Use the file in post 71 as that is most up to date file.

Cheers

1 Like

OK. Can I buy m2 ssd for PCI Express 4.0 x4 if we don’t have PCI Express 4.0 x4 on msi z87-g45 gaming? if so, can you recommend which one? Volume from 512-1024GB. And can I install Windows on this ssd?

Yes, PCI Express 4.0 x 4 will work.
Samsung 980 Pro works fine, just update to latest firmware.
Also pricing is decent at this time $220 Cdn for 2TB which is good value and performance and $100 cheaper than the Samsung 990 Pro.

1 Like